SHIFT Driver Profile

Need for Speed SHIFT News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

SHIFT Driver Profile

Post by Bojan »

New details about the Driver Profile feature in Need for Speed have emerged through an official press release:
Driver profile is a tailor-made career mode based on four key game play components:

1. Personality - a player's driving style determines whether they are an aggressive or precise driver.

2. Success - as in every race, the ultimate goal is to finish at the top of the podium.

3. Profile points - every car passed, every corner mastered, every opponent taken out generates profile points.

4. Badges - these unique icons bring individuality and style to each player's driver profile, as each player races and completes top achievements.

As a player's driver profile develops through the course of the game, it creates rivalries, triggers specific challenges and even unlocks vehicles and customization options. Need for Speed SHIFT's multiple reward systems keeps players in each race regardless of their position.

"The new driver profile feature in Need for Speed SHIFT gives players full control of how they progress through game," said Patrick Soderlund, Senior Vice President of EA Games Europe. "In SHIFT, how you drive is who you are behind the wheel."
African_HITman
Ricer
Ricer

Re: SHIFT Driver Profile

Post by African_HITman »

There is also a new vid on driver profiles @ Gametrailers
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/drive ... -for/51554
originalracer
Ricer
Ricer

Post by originalracer »

Big Distraction from racing, always these strange gimmicks.

I was saddened to see that in the competition at E3 to win an M3, one of the racers had a quicker time than the player who came first. However, said players "points" were less so he lost, even though his laptime was quicker.
ultrataco_nw
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ultrataco_nw »

You get points for taking out other drivers? That's not racing. I wouldn't really care if it was a traditional NFS but with SHIFT's emphasis on reality, players should be penalized for taking out opponents, not rewarded. I thought SHIFT was supposed to be all about serious racing.

And it's not that I have a problem with crashing AI opponents. In NFS2 and NFS4:HS in particular I had lots of fun crashing the AI, but those were unrealistic arcade games focused on street racing. I just have a problem with a game that claims to imitate real life, yet rewards players for what is not only poor sportsmanship, but usually considered cheating and almost always results in severe penalties.

That said, I'm eagerly awaiting the SHIFT demo and hope it lives up to the hype.
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

I appreciate the info but i'm waiting for something more juicy !!!! :twisted: :wink: !!!! anw thx guys !! i really appreciate it !! =P~ =P~
What Comes Around, Goes Around ...
FnF
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by FnF »

ultrataco_nw wrote:You get points for taking out other drivers? That's not racing. I just have a problem with a game that claims to imitate real life, yet rewards players for what is not only poor sportsmanship, but usually considered cheating and almost always results in severe penalties.

That said, I'm eagerly awaiting the SHIFT demo and hope it lives up to the hype.
It's not really the goal to let them crash :|
It's more how agressive you drive, if you drive clean, or if you take more risk and trade paint or bump slightly onto someones rear bumper.. The only reward for unsportive sportmanship was the 'spin out' reward IMO, but then something like that isn't directly crashing more like taking someone's pace down ;)
driverx15
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by driverx15 »

African_HITman wrote:There is also a new vid on driver profiles @ Gametrailers
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/drive ... -for/51554
i think i noticed some drift gameplay in there?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

This sucks. Now I actually have to accomplish goals other than racing? If I'm understanding correctly, you can place first but still not win because you didn't drive aggressively enough, or didn't take enough corners cleanly, etc. WTF is that? How is that targeting the hardcore and simulation racers? Hardcore racers want to race, not worry about freaking points! It's like a more complicated version of Sector Shootout in ProStreet. At least in PS your points were directly related to your section time. But Shift's system only seems to be serving as a distraction.

I'll have to see when I play the game how much of that really is true. But for right now, I'm hating the idea.
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

prince1142003 wrote:This sucks. Now I actually have to accomplish goals other than racing? If I'm understanding correctly, you can place first but still not win because you didn't drive aggressively enough, or didn't take enough corners cleanly, etc. WTF is that? How is that targeting the hardcore and simulation racers? Hardcore racers want to race, not worry about freaking points! It's like a more complicated version of Sector Shootout in ProStreet. At least in PS your points were directly related to your section time. But Shift's system only seems to be serving as a distraction.

I'll have to see when I play the game how much of that really is true. But for right now, I'm hating the idea.
I don't think that would be correct. I am sure the fundamental aspect of racing, finishing in first, is still what determines who wins. I think the skill system is to increase certain aspects of your driving. Give the car extra grip, for example, if you are a cornering master. I could be way wrong, but that is what I am thinking this all means.

Found this video that ads some more info on the driver profile:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-need-for/50839
InternationalClassic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by InternationalClassic »

originalracer wrote:I was saddened to see that in the competition at E3 to win an M3, one of the racers had a quicker time than the player who came first. However, said players "points" were less so he lost, even though his laptime was quicker.
This isnt a racing simulator. This sounds like a Hybrid. Pionts? when do you see a racer in The LMS win because he had more pionts then the guy who finished first? Never. Other racing sims like Forza and GT are straight simulation and yet they're huge successes in their genre. It sounds like EA still wanted some arcade like gameplay in a (desperate) atempt to get more people (who may not like or arent used to sims) to play Shift. Hopefully it gets removed. Personaly I prefer racing sims to arcade-style racing which is why I wanted to get Shift but now I'm not so sure.
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

"To set up RULES was always a problem & cheating is the same... I hope this will be fixed in future!" :roll:
CodeOfTheRoad
Ricer
Ricer

Post by CodeOfTheRoad »

In overreactman's vid the guy said over 80 vehicles, there is only 65 in the car list .i wonder
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

weird
originalracer
Ricer
Ricer

Post by originalracer »

And now wait until Monday for news because god forbid The NFS "Team" would release news on the weekend. Oh wait, lets have week 37 of guess the car bumper.

Return to “News”