Criterion Will Return NFS To It's Real Roots

The Future of Need For Speed
kostis1993
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Criterion Will Return NFS To It's Real Roots

Post by kostis1993 »

This is what Alex Ward said via twitter. That means we are going to have a NFS like the first one, in 1994, which was completely about simulation...

What do you think?
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Criterion Will Return NFS To It's Real Roots

Post by TheStig »

EA's interpetation of ROOTS is very different of that of most people.

For them NFS Underground where the roots... or any other game they fancy.

So don't get your hopes up.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

I'm just hoping it's another Hot Pursuit-style game. We already got HP, HP2, MW, U2, Carbon, UC and Nitro with police.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

TheStig wrote:EA's interpetation of ROOTS is very different of that of most people.

For them NFS Underground where the roots... or any other game they fancy.

So don't get your hopes up.
Well, he did say "a return to the original 3DO version of The Need for Speed" which would mean Criterion is returning NFS to its ACTUAL roots and birth place. I know it's gonna be a while until we get more info though, Shift hasn't even come out.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I really wonder what EA is thinking cause by the looks of it they are spitting out even more NFS games and in a shorter period of time then before....

Will they make the game for the 3DO again :lol: cause that would be funny.

And what is going back to TNFS? having 8 cars and driving on point to point tracks with cops on your tail that annoy you and slow you down? :lol:

And please don't say it is going to be a hardcore sim cause TNFS was build as a sim, cause yeah it was build to be realistic with what they had back then, but also a arcade racer (police, open roads with traffic etc.

IF they make a NFS game that has the real NFS feel ( twisting roads all over the world, and driving around in fast sportscars then they get my vote, but I have to see and wait what's going on.
NaBUru83
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by NaBUru83 »

TheStig wrote:TNFS was build as a sim, cause yeah it was build to be realistic with what they had back then, but also a arcade racer (police, open roads with traffic etc.
By "racing simulator", people mean "realistic physics engine". Sim games don't have flying cars and power-ups, of course, but public road racing doesn't necessarily mean arcadey.
TheStig wrote:IF they make a NFS game that has the real NFS feel ( twisting roads all over the world, and driving around in fast sportscars then they get my vote, but I have to see and wait what's going on.
That sounds like World Online. That's the true NFS essence, the rest are just spin-offs.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

NaBUru83 wrote:
TheStig wrote:IF they make a NFS game that has the real NFS feel ( twisting roads all over the world, and driving around in fast sportscars then they get my vote, but I have to see and wait what's going on.
That sounds like World Online. That's the true NFS essence, the rest are just spin-offs.
Eeehh, not a big fan of World Online. Need to ditch the tuners and go all out with exotics, ditch the tuning, ditch the urban settings found in the post-Underground games.

I want rare, expensive supercars racing on fictional tracks through different scenery such as forests, Mediterranean areas, tropical, canyons, etc. ...reminiscent to NFS2 (I still love the insane Greek track) and NFS: HP2
NaBUru83
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by NaBUru83 »

2furio wrote:Need to ditch the tuners [...], ditch the tuning
I completely disagree with that. I certainly don't want to return to the times where the only thing that the player could change from the game's cars was their single colours.
2furio wrote:Need to [...] ditch the urban settings found in the post-Underground games. I want [...] racing on fictional tracks through different scenery such as forests, Mediterranean areas, tropical, canyons, etc. ...reminiscent to NFS2 (I still love the insane Greek track) and NFS: HP2
I completely agree with that. So remember that World Online has the word "world", i.e. it's supposed to feature tracks all around the globe, not only the U.S.-styled cities from Most Wanted and Carbon.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

yeah agree with bith NaBUru83's statements there 1st off a lot of hours is spent by most people being creative and creating unique cars so you can't ditch that and varied exotic driving locations is always a plus in any racing game :D
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

NFS Unlimited?
Instagram @SupraHKS
AlexWard
Stock
Stock

Post by AlexWard »

Hello,

Alex Ward here. I just wanted to say that my comments on Twitter were related to what games I was playing that day at Criterion HQ. They got picked up and reported incorrectly in the press.

We booted up my 3DO here in the office and spent an hour playing the original game.

We did redline it. We did make it pay. We were 'returning' to playing the game after not looking at it in a while. That's alll it was. It's much too early to be talking about our game. We'll talk at the apppropriate time next year.

But 3DO NFS is a personal favourite game of mine. I would like to hope that our game, the Criterion Games 'take' on NFS, will 'tip its hat' to the original game in more than a few ways though.

Regards

Alex
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

NaBUru83 wrote:I completely agree with that. So remember that World Online has the word "world", i.e. it's supposed to feature tracks all around the globe, not only the U.S.-styled cities from Most Wanted and Carbon.
EA already said that NFS World Online would combine the cities from Most Wanted and Carbon, there's nothing new here:

"It was also confirmed that the game will feature the cities of Palmont and Rockport, which were featured in Need for Speed: Carbon and Need for Speed: Most Wanted respectively."

And if you want customization, there are already plenty of NFS games featuring that (anything post-Underground). Take your pick. EA needs to make at least one more NFS game reminiscent to the classic ones, the roots of NFS. They need to concentrate on designing perfect fictional tracks that don't get boring to race on.
bakalhau
Ricer
Ricer

Post by bakalhau »

AlexWard wrote:Hello,

Alex Ward here. I just wanted to say that my comments on Twitter were related to what games I was playing that day at Criterion HQ. They got picked up and reported incorrectly in the press.

We booted up my 3DO here in the office and spent an hour playing the original game.

We did redline it. We did make it pay. We were 'returning' to playing the game after not looking at it in a while. That's alll it was. It's much too early to be talking about our game. We'll talk at the apppropriate time next year.

But 3DO NFS is a personal favourite game of mine. I would like to hope that our game, the Criterion Games 'take' on NFS, will 'tip its hat' to the original game in more than a few ways though.

Regards

Alex

Looks like you and I have the same tastes in fan sites (Operation Burnout and now NFS Unlimited). :D I hope you pay us a few more visits during the next year.

If there's a good game in the series to "tip its hat" to, then it's definitely the first one. You know, I'm honestly looking forward to your take on the series. I know I probably won't be getting a new Burnout game, but it's not every day I get to see one of my favorite developers make a game in another franchise I also love.
NaBUru83
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by NaBUru83 »

2furio wrote:
NaBUru83 wrote:[World Online is] supposed to feature tracks all around the globe, not only the U.S.-styled cities from Most Wanted and Carbon.
EA already said that NFS World Online would combine the cities from Most Wanted and Carbon, there's nothing new here:

"It was also confirmed that the game will feature the cities of Palmont and Rockport, which were featured in Need for Speed: Carbon and Need for Speed: Most Wanted respectively."
EA says the "the game will feature the cities [...]", I said "not only". I'm saying it again: the game is supposed to have more cities from other corners of the world. And I'll say it again and again until they actually make it.
2furio wrote:They need to concentrate on designing perfect fictional tracks that don't get boring to race on.
They desperately need that.
RazTaz11
Ricer
Ricer

Post by RazTaz11 »

Didn't they have a Rockport like city in UC?
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

if we want "non boring tracks" then things we need are:
brilliant tracks by developers
additional tracks by them
and a track editor in the game
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

Seeing that criterion's last game had a PERFECT free-roaming world that ran all seamlessly together (and even expanded on it), and a great system of doing races and such, i would probably not expect them to go back to closed tracks. we're probably going to see another amazing open world much better than ANY of EA's NFS open worlds. Yeah, they might go back to SOME NFS roots, but i think they might take a lot of things that were successful in Burnout Paradise and put in in the NFS game which i think would be pretty awesome. I hope that cop chases will be in there as that was the best part of any NFS game.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Fishwhiz wrote:Seeing that criterion's last game had a PERFECT free-roaming world that ran all seamlessly together (and even expanded on it), and a great system of doing races and such, i would probably not expect them to go back to closed tracks. we're probably going to see another amazing open world much better than ANY of EA's NFS open worlds. Yeah, they might go back to SOME NFS roots, but i think they might take a lot of things that were successful in Burnout Paradise and put in in the NFS game which i think would be pretty awesome. I hope that cop chases will be in there as that was the best part of any NFS game.
maybe they will take game modes that are AS imaginative AS online modes in Burnout Paradise instead of always "Circuit Sprint +5 variations of each and a random tag mode"
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

Fishwhiz wrote:Seeing that criterion's last game had a PERFECT free-roaming world that ran all seamlessly together (and even expanded on it), and a great system of doing races and such, i would probably not expect them to go back to closed tracks. we're probably going to see another amazing open world much better than ANY of EA's NFS open worlds. Yeah, they might go back to SOME NFS roots, but i think they might take a lot of things that were successful in Burnout Paradise and put in in the NFS game which i think would be pretty awesome. I hope that cop chases will be in there as that was the best part of any NFS game.
burnout Paradise world with nfs driving, roots. hopefully they wont make it feel or seem similar to BP. Iwould like realistic tuning, like tuning manufactueres and body kits fir tuners and specialized tuning companis for exotics lik in real life
Instagram @SupraHKS
SonicTH228
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SonicTH228 »

I'm open-minded when it comes to racing games. Though I prefer the night-life, street racing, rice-rocket action of the Underground games, I'll play anything that drives well and fast.

Return to “NFS 2022”