SHIFT 2 Tommy Milner Laguna Seca

Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

SHIFT 2 Tommy Milner Laguna Seca

Post by Bojan »

http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2-3JHjeHro&&r ... &version=3[/embed]

Check out Team NFS's Tommy Milner doing a run of Laguna Seca in the Corvette C6.R GT1 in SHIFT 2 Unleashed.
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: SHIFT 2 Tommy Milner Laguna Seca

Post by YaelDjiel »

Funny how he is actually driving in hood cam, and not helmet cam :roll:
I like the "phew" near the end though, like it was totally exhausting :mrgreen:
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

I noticed the cam thing too, but there's replays, right? I guess those can be played in different cameras.
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

yeah that is probably what you're seeing in the main video.
It's just that they've been hyping this whole helmet cam thing, and this real racer dude isn't even using it :D
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

It does look good though,

Those are replay cams, but you can see in the shot of the driver/gamer that on his TV he is using hoodcam.

The whole concept of helmet cam looks nice, got a nice racelike look to it, but if I get S2 (and that's still a big if, S1 just did do it for me to buy it) I am sure I won't use the helmet cam, I harly ever use cockpit view because I find it distracting from what is really going on, in some games is better then others (better means more outside view)
But even though this does look realistic in terms of movements and such, I know it will bother me a great deal, way to many things going on the shaking the moving of the head and thus the whole cockpit moving around you (and the outside)
I'll stick with hood or bumper on racing games, and look inside the car just to see what it looks like and such.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

@TheStig: but that's the whole point of Shift and Shift2... that GREATLY differentiates itself from the competitors...
the cockpit view...

it is what made Shift 1 so awesome... where no other game can let you experience the FEAR of speed...

I drive cockpit view in GT5 sometimes and to be honest... it's flatout boring... non-thrilling at all... GT5 is a very good game, but it's just so eventless that I don't feel the adrenaline rush at all...
and I have to add, I'm usually not a cockpit-view person... most of the time in 3rd person view... because I want to see what's around my vehicle *Driving and Flying games included* and I love to see how all the mechanics of my machines are working while I'm piloting them *thrust vectoring, ailerons, tailerons, spoilers, etc all moving*

but for Shift 1, I just could not play any other view than Cockpit... *except on some challenges like no-contact... had to go back to 3rd p for that*
and every time I finish a full lap in cockpit around Nurburgring, I do feel exhausted... unlike in GT5... it's just like any other lap ... only tired because I've been staring at the track too long... but that's not like Shift 1, where I FELT like I was actually IN the car... trying not to hit the railguard etc

it was EXHILARATING!

that being said... I'm not sure about the helmet cam... I like how the head turns around the apex but... it seems to have turned a bit TOO much... it might do a lot better in drift but normal racing? not sure... maybe there's also the getting used to...
I'm really looking forward to this game now... not sure if I'll preorder it though
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

I always try to drive in the cockpit view, as I think it is the most realistic and hardest view. And because it is more exciting. :D

@zedex: SHIFT's cockpit camera is very good, but I wouldn't say it is the only that lets you experience the fear of speed. Yes they did a great work with the cockpits, but there were some flaws. First, the mirrors. They were there, but in most cars you couldn't look at the mirrors to see what was behind you. That's a problem when you are trying to overtake someone and want to get back in the racing line. I spun out quite a few times because of that. Then it was the shaking, sometimes it was just too much. I remember racing in Spa after the Eau Rouge / Raidillon corner and the car looked like a boat on that straight. Finally the blur, it was good and it gave a nice sense of speed, but the fact that you couldn't see what was being displayed in the car's LCD is just a massive flaw for me. Things outside get distorted at hight speeds, but things inside your car do not. I hated the fact that you couldn't read your speed at all above 150 km/h or so.

As for the helmet cam and the apex thing, this is not the first game that features that. In Race 07 (released in 2007, way before SHIFT) you have a very realistic cockpit camera and a "look-to-apex" thing. I personally don't use the last one as I think the movement is not natural enough and I completely miss the apex when that is turned on. For SHIFT 2 I think it will be the same, the movement is not natural enough. I reckon it is just too hard to recreate that movement of the eyes in a natural way.

The cockpit movement in Race 07 is just awesome and way better than in SHIFT. If you set that to the maximum (it goes from 0% to 100%, you just choose the one that suits you better) the cockpit shakes in a realistic way, and when you are going uphill, for example, the forces in the car make your vision lower, just like it happens in real life. The best example I have of this is when doing the Eau Rouge / Raidillon corner in Spa-Francorchamps. You just can't see the track ahead of you when starting to go uphill, the forces in that corner are so well recreated... it is awesome. :)

And they have a helmet cam too, but just for open wheel cars. The shaking in those cars is even better, especially when you go over curbs or something. You can also adjust the camera's position, just like you could adjust the seat in a real life car. In some cars you want to be closer to the dashboard, in others you want to be further back; sometimes you may want to sit higher, sometimes you may want to sit lower. All of that can be adjusted on the fly (even when racing).

The only thing lacking is the sense of speed, it is nowhere as good as in SHIFT.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

I wont use the helmet cam simply because after i saw all that shaking etc, i knew that if i tried i would be able to play it 1 hour max before something bad happened :P

Less than 2 weeks left :D
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

Hydro_PT wrote:Finally the blur, it was good and it gave a nice sense of speed, but the fact that you couldn't see what was being displayed in the car's LCD is just a massive flaw for me. Things outside get distorted at hight speeds, but things inside your car do not. I hated the fact that you couldn't read your speed at all above 150 km/h or so.
about that, I agree it's a problem, but I think it was hard for the developers to make it work properly...

when you're going fast, your eyes are glued to what's ahead, so anything outside that peripheral vision *mirrors, dials displays etc. included* are all supposed to be blurred... I doubt you'll know what speed you're going at when you're staring straight down the highway when you drive at 100km/h unless you glance down onto your speedo...

once you glance down, your eyes focus on the speedo, or when glance up, on the mirrors, etc. so they look clear to YOU personally, but then, you don't see what's on the road ahead... your vision is only so wide...

however on a small area like your computer/TV screen, those are all visible fully, if you sit far enough...
and for developers, there is NO WAY to know where your eyes are focusing on, so they'll "unblur" it when you look at them like in real life... so they just add a HUD with those important info that's always clear, *but still shaky* and blur everything in the cockpit except the focal point they want you to look at, which is the track ahead...

also about the shake, it would've been great if there was an option you can choose to change the "amount" of shaking involved like done in Arma 2 *I turn it off completely... gives me a headache after 30 seconds of running >.>*
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

I had the same thoughts about the blur when I read Hydro's post, but I didn't have the will to put it all down in a reply. Thankfully, zed has done that task for me. :D
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

@zedex: You made a good point there. :) I understand it can be hard for the developers to recreate in the game how our brain and eyes work together. That's the reason why I can't use the "look-to-apex" thing in Race 07 and I probably won't use it in SHIFT 2 either. It just doesn't feel natural, it feels forced and I simply cannot turn correctly with that option on. In TDU 2 they have the same feature in the cockpit camera and even though I can drive well on that camera, I must switch to the hood camera to finish most time trials or to drive at high speed.

The problem in SHIFT 1 is that I find the vision too much blurred. Even when driving at high speeds you don't get that kind of blur to things that are traveling at the same speed as you are. They could leave the centre of the wheel / dashboard without blur, so you could read the dials. And everything else, especially what would be in real life the "lateral vision", would be blurred. I don't know if you are understanding what I mean hehe. :D

Basically there would be blur on everything outside the cockpit, and no blur where important information is. I think that would be more realistic. And yes, I know that the HUD doesn't blur, but driving with it off is just so cool! You get a sense of ultra realism when there's no track map, no times, no lap counter, no HUD. I tried it sometimes and it was very good, problem was I needed the HUD to see how fast I was going, since I couldn't read anything in the dials.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Sorry for the double post. Manufacturer Monday brings the following cars:

Lancia Delta HF Integrale
Porsche 911 GT2
Porsche 911 GT3 R
Porsche 911 GT3 RS
Porsche 911 GT3 RS Auto Bild Edition
Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Falken Tire
Porsche Carrera GT
Porsche Cayman S

I know EA and Porsche have been partners for the last 11 years at least, but 5 Porsche 997 GT3? They could have done older versions of the 911 RS Porsches, but they prefer to offer "special editions". Well at least we have the Carrera GT, the Cayman S and the GT2. There are still two blank spaces between the last GT3 and the Carrera GT, so I seriously hope EA has something new to put there instead of another GT3...
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Post by TheNoobofFerraris »

I suspect that the 918 Spyder will take up one of those spaces since it has already been seen in SHIFT 2 screenshots. Perhaps the race version of the car will make it into the game as well.

Porsche 918 RSR
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

I hate the most of the Tracks in SHIFT @ll...

Return to “News”