I WANT UNDERGROUND 3!

The Future of Need For Speed
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: I WANT UNDERGROUND 3!

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

I think what makes it an even more important point, is that NFS needs, and seems to be trying through other means, to differentiate itself from other racers, to provide a different experience than that of the Forza's and GT's of the genre (for a NFS game like SHIFT, anyway).

I found the detailed visual tuning of UG1/2 to add a new layer to the games, and it was even a considerably plus in the later games such as Carbon and Prostreet, but then dropped off considerably. I think it will draw a lot more people if they don't take this 'design' portion of the game as an afterthought, but rather an important building block to creating a really good NFS title.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

I hope speedhunters helps with a UG3 title for NFS
Instagram @SupraHKS
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Well, aside from the tuning and carlist, NFS Underground was a full blooded NFS game. Action, fun, the 'speed' was present in Need For Speed. UG2 had the great tuning, free roam, but i feel the action was slower. Maybe it was the game itself, or the soundtrack, but it felt slowmotion compared to UG.

Anyway, what would happen if UG3 was made by Black Box and Slightly Mad Studios together with the help of Speedhunters?
Im sure they all could make a good successor to UG2...but i doubt that will happen.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Yeah thats another fair point, come to think of it, the 'sense' of speed has slowly dropped since UG2 - Most Wanted was still fast, Carbon felt a bit heavier and slower, and Prostreet was no where near as hectic when compared directly to UG2, though to be fair that was supposed to be a bit more sim orientated than the others.

I think it may have been partially due to the UG series handling and physics in combination with the 'sense' of speed as well.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

ElvenAvenger wrote:Well, aside from the tuning and carlist, NFS Underground was a full blooded NFS game. Action, fun, the 'speed' was present in Need For Speed. UG2 had the great tuning, free roam, but i feel the action was slower. Maybe it was the game itself, or the soundtrack, but it felt slowmotion compared to UG.

Anyway, what would happen if UG3 was made by Black Box and Slightly Mad Studios together with the help of Speedhunters?
Im sure they all could make a good successor to UG2...but i doubt that will happen.
well speedhunters has some sorta partnership with NFS, even during the realeas of hot pursuit speedhunters was posting stuff about NFSHP. im sure if speedhunters knew/heard a tuning/ug nfs was being made, they would want in on it
Instagram @SupraHKS
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

VergilijI wrote:Слава тебе, господи: и сыт, и пьян, и никому не должен.
NFSUnlimited.net General Rules wrote:* Post only in english
Posts in any other languages will be deleted. Please also try to keep your language 'correct' - don't revert to 'txt' speech or 'leet' speech, or whatever seems to the be the latest shorthand Internet flavour of the month. We have a lot of members here from all over the world, many of whom don't speak English as their native tongue. Be considerate and make your posts easy to read by all.
Welcome to the board, just remember to post in english :wink:
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by reputated »

that speedhunters collaboration with ea is a farcry. the next nfs game, whichever it is, must be good. the series is on a roll now.

hot pursuit dealed with well, the pursuits and shift 2 dealed with the realism thing. they have got to give us underground 3 now. i mean, is there an alternative?
Some pursue happpiness; others create it
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

I strongly believe we will have a tuner scene game for this 2011. And also I think we may have a re-naming of it: NFS Undergound. Just like Need For Speed Hot Pursuit....why not call the tuner game -> Need for Speed Underground ? it may sound crazy but it may be possible.....or just Most Wanted 2, probably 2 of the most popular new-era NFS games :)
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Well it sounds possible, we've had a pursuit game, a 'sim' game, and now ...time for the tuning game.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

The pursuit/sim/tuning bit sounds logical, I'm not so sure that they'd go back to the renaming of Underground - that's another re-hash of a previous game, along with HP. It makes sense that they could go the route of making a game with tuning being a bigger factor though, as you said Elven.
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

I guess everyone wants an Underground 3. Maybe what could work would be taking the best bits from Underground 1 and 2 and then just putting everything on a bigger scale. Possibly even taking a leaf out of Midnight Club's book and bringing in licensed body parts.

And for those of you who're wondering, Speedhunters is an EA site which is linked to Need for Speed.

Offtopic: Boy, have I not posted for a long time!
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

everyonne?!
a lot... sure... but I'm pretty sure not everyone does...
I don't... and I know a lot don't...

the "underground" era is dead... even THE movie that started it all, Fast and the Furious is moving less of a tuning/street racing scene and more into the characters/stories (although still done poorly) ... and EVEN THE CARS they drive... it was ALL japanese imports, with 1 american muscle in the first movie, and tuners/2 muscles in second... into tuner/drift in TD, then muscle vs tuner in 4th... and now what's in the 5th? classic muscles, exotics... and (spoiler alert) what kind of car they drive at the very end? Koenigsegg CCXR, Lexus LF-A, and Nissan GT-R and Dodge Challenger... ALL UNmodified... little japanese tuners aren't "cool" for those kids anymore

Neon is dead... you don't see A SINGLE car riced with neons nowadays...
race-tune is the new trend now, and Shift/Shift2Unleashed somewhat brought those in...
less about show-offness and more about actual performance enhancements and advanced tuning than making scissor doors, spinners and audio systems... and Pimp My Ride also died... another proof of a dead trend... they were awesome and cool while they lasted, but they're not now, and whoever do those "ricing" are just regarded as idiots and douchebags

the time has changed and people have moved on...
Underground 3 spiritually exists within NFS Most Wanted, Carbon, Undercover, and World.
those games are primarily based on street racing and tuning, what Underground was mostly about... only added in hot pursuit, whom fans really called for, which were lacking in the "original" underground and its sequal...

I have played EVERY SINGLE Need For Speed since Hot Pursuit (3), and I liked most of them, and really enjoyed Underground, and played the heck out of Underground 2, but the time has passed. it's time to move on...
what's dead, is dead...

and I can guarantee you this right now, IF and ONLY IF EA actually decides to make Underground 3, it WILL be their BIGGEST failure to date, worse than Undercover... you cannot make a worse decision than this at the current time
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

by underground i just mean a new tuning game, idk if everyone else is thinking this or wants an "underground" game.

i think the hopes of a tuning game in the future is dim. The new game has been leaked and its called NFS Run (something like that) Ehh looks like another most wanted the trailer leaves me with alot of questions.
Instagram @SupraHKS
T0MMY
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by T0MMY »

i agree with zedex, it will more likely a nightmare if i see Underground 3. neon lights, spinner and customized exotic cars, those are more likely a bad memory

but for the upcoming NFS it looks more like a HP2010 with a story and i saw a Porsche Cayenne as a traffic cars like HP2010
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Hizack
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Hizack »

We know the Underground era is dead, but at least EA can release Underground 3 in, for example, 2013 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the birth of Underground series as a memorial.
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

Thats atleast 5 NFS games away :D
(The run in nov 2011, 2 in 2012, and then 2 in 2013 of which the last one would be then Nfsu3 xD)

Cool idea, but let's face it.. the chances of having EA doing it are next to none :)
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

I disagree. A new tuner game is needed, however the premise for tuning has altered as mentioned above, so race tuning and serious cars are back in business. Proper bodykit's, engine swaps, and upgrades for the cars is needed. Sod neons and scissor doors, they were crap in the Tuner era, and they are still crap.

The thing that made Underground was the visceral, fast and light feel of the cars which was lost with UG2, Most Wanted and Carbon. Pro Street tried to get back to it but it's car balance was just totally fubar'd (which can be fixed with the PS mod tools on the way). Actually Shift 2 with the first patch is a lot closer to how Underground would evolve, but for a proper tuner game sequel which will appeal it needs the following:

Shift 2's AI - Sheer excellence. Barge and you get barged, they race though for me are a little slow unless I'm in an unbalanced car.
An Underground racing feel - With this I mean it can't be track racing on the street. There needs to be a bit of a story/reason to be in the illegal street racing scene. The Run feels like it's going in the right direction with that, but I think they forgot the Torque to back up the BHP ;)
No restriction on car looks other than performance. If you build a showroom car, don't expect it to take on the sleeper racer. Don't get forced to upgrade looks for 'rep' or 'style'. Looks are a personal thing and should stay that way.
With an engine like FB 2.0 the detail levels can be increased, thus giving the basis for Shift 2's accuracy a more arcade outlet. Even to the point of having two modes, arcade and sim.
Make the world more interactive. Driving past a cop shop at 100+mph SHOULD get the heat on ya for instance ;)

Well that's my thoughts at least :)
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Yeah I think the general consensus is that we'd like a NFS game with detailed custimization, (as in the UG2 scope) but up to do date with the the tastes of current culture - that means no 'FnF', 'ricing' and the such with items such as neon and stuff.
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by reputated »

i think the whole concept of free roaming is not realised properly. i mean, hp2010 didnt have free roam(and dont tell me you drove in free drive mode cause you felt like it) implied into the gameplay and still the game was so awesome. many other good games like grid, dirt, underground 1etc did not have free roam. free roam was actually available in carbon and undercover but i think nobody used it once. personally, i think free roam was best implimented in most wanted.

does anyone have a suggestion on how to make free roam better?
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

reputated wrote:i think the whole concept of free roaming is not realised properly. i mean, hp2010 didnt have free roam(and dont tell me you drove in free drive mode cause you felt like it) implied into the gameplay and still the game was so awesome. many other good games like grid, dirt, underground 1etc did not have free roam. free roam was actually available in carbon and undercover but i think nobody used it once. personally, i think free roam was best implimented in most wanted.

does anyone have a suggestion on how to make free roam better?
if you want free roam, play Test Drive Unlimited (2)... or Burnout Paradise, or simply World

forcing you to get to races by driving there, some lazy people will not like... having the option to jump to races, no one will use... those who WANT and truly LIKE to "free roam" as in drive around "for fun", well... there are many other games to do that *like I mentioned* but MOST that I've seen, don't even care about it... and ironically a lot of those asked for the feature...

it's good to take in feedback, but it's a bad thing to implement EVERYTHING that's been said... it loses originality, and may not work well with other features in the end

and how to make it really work? well, make it like GTA4, Just Cause 2, Driver series, etc... sandbox/flying/driving game...
but that changes the genre entirely
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by reputated »

zedex wrote:that changes the genre entirely
exactly. free roam is more suited to games like gta and other such sandbox-y games.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

sandbox styled nfs made me like the series even more. We'll just have to wait until E3 for gameplay
Instagram @SupraHKS
AlexXxuTzZu
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AlexXxuTzZu »

need for speed underground 2 has been the best of the need for speed games by far. EA should definitely make an underground 3. There is no way they can compete with GT so why bother they should stick with what works and what everyone wanted and enjoyed which is underground. so EA BRING BACK NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND!!!
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

does
ea even read these forums?
Instagram @SupraHKS
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

They used to have guys pop in and post occasionally, but haven't seen any on the forums for a while and I doubt they regularly check here.

However, talking specifically about 'Underground 3', it's a wider point that many fans have brought up all across the internet and other mediums, so I think EA are well aware of it.

Return to “NFS 2022”