TECH TALK - ask your technical car questions

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: TECH TALK - ask your technical car questions

Post by Carcrazy »

Point taken haha.

Another question, (I've got nothing but Google searches to run off of - this is how I learn lol.) What are the negative effects of an underdrive pulley? Just excessive wear due to the lack of the harmonic balancer, undervolting electrical systems on the car, or what?
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

the balance is the main thing if you replace the crankpulley.

I think it's easier and safer to replace the altinater and waterpump pulley for a bigger and lighter one, same effect but with the harmonic damper still there so no extra stress on the car.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

TheStig wrote:the balance is the main thing if you replace the crankpulley.
Hmm, I don't think it's a huge problem.
Any new pulley should be balanced, but it could upset the balance of the crankshaft slightly. Depends on how it was balanced from the factory, sometimes they do it with the pulley and flywheel together so they need to be matched.

Underdrive is bad because nothing will work properly at idle. When driving it should be fine, but at low engine speeds the alternator will struggle, the A/C will struggle, the water pump won't flow enough coolant, and the power steering won't work properly (even though yours is electric, it will suffer because of the alternator).

And yeah the damper is important too, most aftermarket pulleys are just solid metal. I think this is fine if the car doesn't get used alot, and if there are no accessories on the engine (just alternator and water pump) but for most engines you should have the damper in the pulley.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Awesome guys, thanks for clearing it up for me. :D
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

Serious question, I getting close to buying a my first car (Ive been driving my parents cars for too long lol). I want get into drifting, i love drifting. I want to compete and my dream is (im very very serious about this) to become a professional drifter. I already know what cars are for drifting and such so dont tell me to get something rwd, i already know that. Here is the problem though, my parents are broke and they cant afford a car but I have got a job and ive been saving my money(sometimes ive had to buy food for my family and even had to pay a couple bills) so im looking for a car arounf the $0-3000 range. Im looking at FC3S' S13's and even 86's. Im just wondering which would be most beneficial especially in my money dilemma. 240sx, most have KA24's and from what ive heard is that there not as good as SR20's, but its harder for me to find a s13,s14 with an SR20 that is also cheap. the 86 is light but underpowered(but i believe the weight compensates for it) but the major concerne is safety because it is such a small car. The FC looks like the best out of the 3 but ive read some things about the reliability of the rotaries (Kaerar, i know you can help me with this one). So what im asking for is your help and your opinions.
Instagram @SupraHKS
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

The 86 is a bit underpowered, but the 4A-GE engine does have lots of engine mods to choose from, ranging from turbo kits to a full NA build with aggressive cams higher compression etc, the 86 has some fairly easy swap options like the 4A-GZE with the added bonus of the supercharger, and you can have it up to 200 hp in no time and with the low weight have plenty of power to go sideways with it.
A friend of mine has a Levin Coupe (AE86) with a 4A-GZE swap and he uses it for drifting, although the car is 25 years old it's bulletproof, he uses it as a daily and often goes drifting and still it's going strong, sure some stuff is replaced to to wear, but then it's a old car that isn't being treated softly.

The 240SX is a nice platform but still the power from the KA24 isn't great combined with the weight, the SR20 is a lot better but more rare in the US and it still isn't very powerful, the S13 isn't super light, so a upgrade is advised even for the SR20.

The RX, well you mentioned it, durability isn't it's strong point, other then that nice cars.
I think you know that for drifting you need more then power, a good suspension setup etc is also stuff you need if you want to make the best of it, and loads of practice.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

yes not only power isnt important, thats why ive been looking into the 86, a very light nimble car. Power comes into my mind when i think of competing in a pro drift comp, where here in FD almost everyones car is loaded with power, the under powered hachiroku might be at disadvantage. But i am greatly considering this just because of my love for toyotas, my parants have always had toyotas and i remember playing nfsu driving all of the toyotas, the supra celica and ae86 were my favorites. Im also very excitied for the new 86 that is coming out(have you seen it the unveiled the production version, looks very nice). I have been looking at club4ag.com, they have lots of 86's for sale there.

Its hard to find a SR powered s chassis here in the US for around 3000, i wouldnt mind doing a swap, but its the money that is a factor with this one. money is tigh and im the only one paying for the car.

But one way or another i will make it happen, it is a big dream of mine.

Also what you think about GT5's driving physics, are they super realistic and good practice, cuz thats what ive been practicing with.
Instagram @SupraHKS
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Whichever car is cheaper is the one you should get. It's very likely that you'll crash it into something, and probably more than once.

So with running costs in mind I'd go for the S13. Even with a KA24.

Once you strip it out and put crappy tyres on the back, it will have no problem drifting. Then once you have more money (and skills) you can look at other engine options. An S13 can be easliy modded to accomodate big engines, whilst with the Hachi it's much harder to do so. This is why you don't see many 86s in pro-level drifting but you still see Silvias everywhere.
Zotic+ wrote:Also what you think about GT5's driving physics, are they super realistic and good practice, cuz thats what ive been practicing with.
You will not know anything about drifting until you've done it in real life.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

boganbusman wrote:Whichever car is cheaper is the one you should get. It's very likely that you'll crash it into something, and probably more than once.

So with running costs in mind I'd go for the S13. Even with a KA24.

Once you strip it out and put crappy tyres on the back, it will have no problem drifting. Then once you have more money (and skills) you can look at other engine options. An S13 can be easliy modded to accomodate big engines, whilst with the Hachi it's much harder to do so. This is why you don't see many 86s in pro-level drifting but you still see Silvias everywhere.
Zotic+ wrote:Also what you think about GT5's driving physics, are they super realistic and good practice, cuz thats what ive been practicing with.
You will not know anything about drifting until you've done it in real life.
i dont think i will crash my car when i get one, at least no time in the near future when i do get one.

I also agree with the practice part, nothing beats hands on expierience, but it doesnt hurt to learn a few things from simulators.

Also other than practicing on tracks, ive read that its also a good idea to practice in empty, abandoned parking lots.

p.s does anyone know how much it is to weld a diff(price range? i havent found anything on google)? good LSD's are a little pricey.
Instagram @SupraHKS
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Sorry, wrong place. This thread is for questions about real cars.
JamesRoss1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by JamesRoss1 »

What was the idea behind the production of Bugatti Veyron as it is considered the most expensive car of the world and not in everyone's approach. Only the footballers and the most rich people of the world have this car.
<a href="http://autospatech.com/">Indash Navigation System</a>
JamesRoss1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by JamesRoss1 »

Why Bugatti veyron just makes cars foe the rich? Do they have any future plans to build a car for the common people well and i am sure it would be a master piece from Bugatti for its customers.
JamesRoss1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by JamesRoss1 »

What type of navigation system does a Bugatti car have?
JamesRoss1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by JamesRoss1 »

What are the reasons for which Bugatti is considered the best in the world?
JamesRoss1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by JamesRoss1 »

Why do all the racers want to have Bugatti to race
JamesRoss1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by JamesRoss1 »

Is there any other factory of Bugatti to be manufactured there other than Italy
JamesRoss1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by JamesRoss1 »

Why its body is being manufactured with Carbon Fiber?
JamesRoss1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by JamesRoss1 »

Why should i suggest Bugatti to my customers who do have little knowledge about the cars and just want to have the luxurious car.
JamesRoss1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by JamesRoss1 »

Why is everyone using navigation system in his car
JamesRoss1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by JamesRoss1 »

Why we do not lost on our roads now a days while driving our cars.

Return to “The Cars”