New car?, want more performance or Looks? Come here and ask!

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: New car?, want more performance or Looks? Come here and ask!

Post by Carcrazy »

Yupyup, I take official delivery on friday. =D

Already got batteries for the camera. :lol:

Edit:
All in all, it looks like this, minus the sunroof.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Not at all bad for a first car.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Carcrazy wrote:@ Bogan: Yeah, I probably am, as I don't feel like paying someone $80 to change my oil when I can do it myself.

On the other hand, I think I'll want to change it to synthetic after I break the engine in, (meaning by the first oil change.) Is this too soon, or is it better to go ahead and do it? Also, what brands should work well for it?
It will be fine to switch to synthetic after the break-in period. I wouldn't really bother though, as semi-synthetic is fine for normal driving. Just make sure it gets changed regularly and use the grade specified in the owners handbook.

As for brands, it's not really important. Shell, Mobil, whatever. Avoid the nasty cheap stuff and you'll be fine.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Carcrazy wrote:Yupyup, I take official delivery on friday. =D

Already got batteries for the camera. :lol:

Edit:
All in all, it looks like this, minus the sunroof.
Ehh, sedan...I prefer the hatch Corollas. Cause then it looks more like a Corolla.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Oh yeah, the car's grown on me by leaps and bounds in the past 24 hours. I actually can't wait to get it, which since the insurance starts on Friday, we should get it then. (That's also presuming I don't have to go get X-rays done on my finger on Friday, as it's swelling pretty well after football practice today. That's a different story.)

Also, we don't have the hatch here in the US. Hell, I don't even think they use the same engine, as most others use a 1.5L i4 (1NZ-FE.)

The US spec has the 1.8L 27R-FE. The cool thing is that the JDM Auris uses the 2ZR-FE, which appears to simply be a supercharged version, judging by the engine code (and pictures found online,) so I'm hoping that some of the aftermarket parts will fit in this in a year or two. (I want to make sure that I'm used to the car and that everything is in good working condition before I start voiding warranties. It's just better to wait overall.)

Edit:
Wait, you're in AU, right? I'm sorry, I'm mistaken; the AU Corolla Hatchback uses the 2ZR-FE as well.
(It's an Auris.) =P

Main Source is the wiki, if I'm dead wrong, don't blame me. =D
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

What is a 27R-FE? There's no such thing.

You have the 2ZR-FE, which is exactly the same as the Auris motor. A supercharged version would be called 2ZR-FZE but I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Chances are the Wiki is wrong.

So then JDM Auris parts should. theoretically, fit in the Corolla when I feel I'm ready to move up?

Also, what motor does the Corolla Axis have? If I'm not mistaken (again) it has a 1.5 but also a 1.8l variant, does it not?
I ask this because I know the Axis has many parts, not entirely sure on the Auris, other than the TRD package, which doesn't even touch the engine.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Carcrazy wrote:So then JDM Auris parts should. theoretically, fit in the Corolla when I feel I'm ready to move up?
What parts are you talking about? Moving up?
Carcrazy wrote:Also, what motor does the Corolla Axis have? If I'm not mistaken (again) it has a 1.5 but also a 1.8l variant, does it not?
I ask this because I know the Axis has many parts, not entirely sure on the Auris, other than the TRD package, which doesn't even touch the engine.
You mean the Axio? In Japan, 'Axio' is simply the name for the sedan verison of the Corolla. Hatchback is Rumion and the wagon is Fielder. Your car is the same as an Axio.
I don't know what engine they come with, there is like 8 different motors that are available for Corollas.

I'm confused, what do you actually want to do with the car?
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I'm more confused as to what an Auris is. I've heard of it, but I didn't remember Australia getting it. We have the Corolla, Camry, Yaris, 'Cruiser, Aurion, etc. etc.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Auris is rebadged as a Corolla over here. It was sold in the gap between the 9th gen (ZZE122R) and 10th gen (what Carcrazy has).
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I'm just trying to see if I'm stuck at 130hp or, if when I'm ready to move up, I can get TRD parts for foreign Corollas or Scions. (xB)

For some reason, there is basically no tuning market for the 10G Corolla, (or really and recent Corolla,) in the US.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Seriously, it's not worth it. You will have to spend a lot to get any decent gain in power, and it will hurt the resale value of the car.

The Civic is a much better platform for performance modding. Honda aftermarket parts are everywhere, the engine has more potential and the suspension design is far superior. The Corolla has struts in the front and a solid beam at the rear, so it will never handle as good as the Civic with independant double-wishbones at all corners.

Better off saving for another car.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

The 1NZ-FE? That is only used in the JDM models, no other Corolla/Auris has them.

The 2ZR-FE isn't a bad engine, and I think 130 hp is pretty decent.
Only downside is the 4 speed slushbox. but he you can't have it all eh?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

TheStig wrote:Only downside is the 4 speed slushbox. but he you can't have it all eh?
Amen. =P

@ Bogan: I figure if I throw one or two hundred in the bank every month, I should be able to have 6-8k come my senior year, which is plenty of money for a secondary used car. =P
(In other words I was already planning on it.) ^_^
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

I was worried when you started posting your interests on that Hyundai Coupe thing last week. But I think you’ve made a good decision on buying the Corolla... especially when you plan on keeping it for another 6 years. I'd be happy!

I guess the original grand plan on buying an EVO fell into tatters? :P
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Well to be brutally honest I think the Evo idea was a bit too grand for the situation. Especially when you consider Mitsubishis aren't actually that reliable.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

jacoja06 wrote:I guess the original grand plan on buying an EVO fell into tatters? :P
I learned to choose who you put your trust in carefully. :lol:
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: New car?, want more performance or Looks? Come here and

Post by Porsche-AG »

I just bought a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S, for commuting to work (~45 km a day, each way, so around 90 km a day). It looks similar to this one:

Thinking of getting the windows tinted in the near future. Any other suggestions?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Turbo.

:D
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

boganbusman wrote:The Civic is a much better platform for performance modding. Honda aftermarket parts are everywhere, the engine has more potential and the suspension design is far superior. The Corolla has struts in the front and a solid beam at the rear, so it will never handle as good as the Civic with independant double-wishbones at all corners.
All I can say is that a 205, 106, 206 or 306 give those double wishboned Civic's a massive headache and they have Mac's at the front and beams at the rear...

The chassis itself is just as important and double wishbones allow more flexibility but it's not always just better.The Corolla chassis have been very average to bad since the move to FWD. Something Toyota still haven't got right in the performance market. Honda have a much better Chassis but then so does the Peugeot's I have mentioned. However they also succumbed to failure with the x07 range and newer.

Fixing the companies mistakes is always just a function of budget though ;)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

No matter how quick the Peugeots may be, they're still awful cars to own. Everytime I work on one it makes me want to shoot myself.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

Got a Z

Instagram @SupraHKS

Return to “The Cars”