DVD Rom Drive
Online: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
SonicTH228
Ricer
Ricer

Re: The Run minimum PC system requirements

Post by SonicTH228 »

Highest system requirements ever.

Really, that is almost painful to look at.
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

oh great, when i see the minimum requirement of the OS is vista. I am really screwed badly. I'm still on the xp :cry:
TW1ST3R
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
Location: Pigfarts Intergalactic School of Witchcraft and Wizardry; Mars

Post by TW1ST3R »

Processor: 3.0 Ghz #-o
Memory: 4 GB #-o
Hard Drive: 18 GB :shock:
Graphics card (AMD): 1024 MB :(

I really am hoping this ends up running like Hot Pursuit - I have half of the minimum for that and it runs with almost no lag on high settings. And somehow SHIFT 2 still lags on lowest settings... This is going to be interesting :?
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Post by TheNoobofFerraris »

I don't really know much about PC hardware so I can't see the harshness of the requirements like someone who does. However, I will say that it's to be expected from an engine like Frostbite 2. Just looking at things like the in-game destruction from the trailers is enough show that The Run is going have higher system requirements.
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

Wow, those are some pretty steep recommended settings..
I'm covered though, woo~
SLJ wrote:oh great, when i see the minimum requirement of the OS is vista. I am really screwed badly. I'm still on the xp :cry:
Well, when it requires DX10 at minimum, Vista will be minimum since XP goes up to 9 only :)
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by reputated »

I have the new dell xps l502x. so i'm set.
but these requirements are wicked!
Some pursue happpiness; others create it
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

TheNoobofFerraris wrote:I don't really know much about PC hardware so I can't see the harshness of the requirements like someone who does. However, I will say that it's to be expected from an engine like Frostbite 2.
You're right. Frostbite 2 is a powerful game engine, so nobody could expect low minimum requirements for this game. I think the requirements are OK. If Black Box did their job properly, I don't think anyone can really complain about the requirements.

Still, I'm a little bit surprised to see that DX 9 (and therefore, Windows XP) are no longer supported. There are still a lot of players out there who use Windows XP (me included). Until some months ago this OS had more people using it than any other OS. Only recently has XP fallen bellow the 50% threshold. But this is the way to go, of course. XP is a great OS, but it is already 10 years old. That's a lot of time for an OS (I think no operative system has ever lasted so much time). I've been using Windows 7 on my laptop for the past 1 month and half (because I'm studying in Russia so I don't have my desktop) and I will find it really hard to go back to good old XP. I think that when I arrive home I will just install 7 and go with it. :D

Need For Speed games were never really heavy games, in my opinion, but it seems that EA is now going the right way. They have the money to buy the best game engines and use them, instead of recycling the same game engine year after year. World is now the only NFS who is less heavy and still uses the old engine.
SonicTH228
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SonicTH228 »

I feel like I need to upgrade my hardware...and I've only had my computer for 2 years.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Hydro_PT wrote:
TheNoobofFerraris wrote:I don't really know much about PC hardware so I can't see the harshness of the requirements like someone who does. However, I will say that it's to be expected from an engine like Frostbite 2.
You're right. Frostbite 2 is a powerful game engine, so nobody could expect low minimum requirements for this game. I think the requirements are OK. If Black Box did their job properly, I don't think anyone can really complain about the requirements.

Still, I'm a little bit surprised to see that DX 9 (and therefore, Windows XP) are no longer supported. There are still a lot of players out there who use Windows XP (me included). Until some months ago this OS had more people using it than any other OS. Only recently has XP fallen bellow the 50% threshold. But this is the way to go, of course. XP is a great OS, but it is already 10 years old. That's a lot of time for an OS (I think no operative system has ever lasted so much time). I've been using Windows 7 on my laptop for the past 1 month and half (because I'm studying in Russia so I don't have my desktop) and I will find it really hard to go back to good old XP. I think that when I arrive home I will just install 7 and go with it. :D

Need For Speed games were never really heavy games, in my opinion, but it seems that EA is now going the right way. They have the money to buy the best game engines and use them, instead of recycling the same game engine year after year. World is now the only NFS who is less heavy and still uses the old engine.
Agree completely Hydro.

I've been using XP for an eternity now, and it is obviously a high quality OS, evidenced by its popularity 10 years after release as you stated. However, it appears that it's time Windows 7 is shifting over to the OS of choice, with consumers and therefore the games following. It wasn't really a surprise considering Battlefield 3 (also using the Frostbite 2 graphics engine) and many other new games are moving on from the XP era. I'd say it's about time, and good timing considering I've been thinking of upgrading to W7 myself.

I can also definitely see Frostbite being the new engine for subsequent entries in the series as well, which I have no complaints about in the slightest, as long as my PC proves to handle it! :P
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

Hydro_PT wrote:

XP is certainly the longest lasting OS of choice of the GUI-era OS'.
But I'd say overall MS-DOS was popular for an even longer time.
It was released in 1981 and before Windows '95 came out and started gaining popularity, it was still very widely the most popular choice.
Most of the computers in my school still had MS-DOS in 1997~, the exception being the computer class, which had PCs with Win '95.
Not that any of this matters, just sayin' :D.

But yeah, Frostbite 2 is a new engine, no surprise that the requirements are high.
And I'm not really surprised that DX9 got dropped out, since not many DX9 gfx-cards would even run the game adequately.
And anybody with a gaming capable PC should be running Vista or Win7 these days anyways.
I loved Win XP but I had to switch to Vista a few years back already, because I couldn't find drivers for stuff anymore, so I dunno how other have managed to "survive" with it this far :D
lol wut
tool831
Ricer
Ricer

Post by tool831 »

RECOMMENDED
DirectX: DirectX 11 - Check
Processor: 3.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Equivalent - Check
Memory: 4 GB - Double check (16GB Ram)
Hard Drive: 18 GB - 2TB Check
Graphics card (NVIDIA): 1024 MB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 - GTX580 Check
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible - Check
Keyboard or Gamepad or Steering Wheel - G25 Check
DVD Rom Drive - Check
Online: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection - 1MB/s Check.

Bring it on EA! 8) I shall be waiting.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Pabl0z wrote:XP is certainly the longest lasting OS of choice of the GUI-era OS'.
But I'd say overall MS-DOS was popular for an even longer time.
It was released in 1981 and before Windows '95 came out and started gaining popularity, it was still very widely the most popular choice.
Most of the computers in my school still had MS-DOS in 1997~, the exception being the computer class, which had PCs with Win '95.
Not that any of this matters, just sayin' :D.
The first time I used a PC it had Windows 95 on it, I was probably 5/6 years old. My first PC had Windows 98, so non-GUI OS are not something I've used. I'm too young for that. :D

I hope my 9600GT can run the game. I know, it is an old card, but surprisingly it ran all games since I bought it. Of course I don't get maximum detail anymore, but all games look good and, most importantly, the framerate is stable and always above 30, which is OK for me (I don't mind playing a game with a framerate of 40 or 50, of course, but above 30 is really OK). However, my card only supports DX 10 and frankly, it doesn't do that good.

@Dr. Houbenheimer: If you are, like me, ''afraid'' of suddenly changing from Windows XP to Windows 7, I recommend installing both OS in your computer and start using 7. Anytime you have a problem or something doesn't run alright, just switch to XP. If you have two HDDs it is even better because you keep both OS phisically separated (I never liked to have two OS in the same HDD). I've done this and I'm slowly using Windows 7 more than XP, but I hadn't changed completetly yet. Maybe at the end of this year I will do that (after I buy a new graphics card with DX 11 support).
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

If you're lucky, you might be able to run the game on the lowest most settings with a bearable fps, but I wouldn't count on it.
Your card is starting to get pretty old and it's not like it was the highest end card to begin with.
A 9800-series card might still run the game "ok".
lol wut
Driv2Slow
Professional
Professional

Post by Driv2Slow »

Those requirements are INSANE ... Looks like no more new NFS for me, because the requirements will only get higher in the future. To those that can run it, good luck and have fun! Cheers
Driv2Slow
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Driv2Slow wrote:Looks like no more new NFS for me, because the requirements will only get higher in the future. To those that can run it, good luck and have fun! Cheers
It's been like that since... the very first NFS game? :/ System requirements are normally higher with each new game, since the graphics are better and therefore it is necessary to have better hardware to run the game properly. I know my old Pentium III and GeForce 4 MX 440 can run Porsche Unleashed OK, but both struggled to run Underground 1... should I complai'n

@Pabl0z: I know that perfectly. But I trust my card. I know she will do it, one way or the other (I call it she, btw xD). Still, by the end of the year I want to buy a new one, so no big deal. :)

Return to “News”