Need For Speed: Rivals announced

Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Need For Speed: Rivals announced

Post by Hydro_PT »

Following two teaser images in the last couple of days, EA Games has now officially announced Need For Speed: Rivals. The game is in development by Ghost Games, a new studio located in Sweden. You can watch the first trailer right here:

NFS: Rivals will use Frostbite 3 as the game engine, and combines the "intensity of the street's ultimate rivalry between cops and racers," in an open road environment where players can choose between being a police officer or a racer. For the first time in 7 years, Ferraris will be back.

As a racer, the goal is to "become infamous for taking risks" and capturing your shenanigans on video. The more cops players evade, the more Speedpoints they will collect, enabling them to unlock new cars and items. Earn more Speedpoints and become a "more valuable target to the cops".

Police officer players work together as part of a team to nab the racers, and will earn prominence by doing so, causing them to rise within the ranks of the Police Force.

The game is out on current generation platforms on November 19 and will also be released on Xbox One and PS4 later this year, making it also the first next-gen NFS.
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: Need For Speed: Rivals announced

Post by MaxT »

brings back it's roots...
brings back Ferrari's... even though they haven't made a good car in quite a while...
brings back customization (I think? who cares)...
uses Frostbite 3... in all it's wonderful greyness...

f*ck EA anyway :)
Last edited by MaxT on 24 May 2013, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
Strafer
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Strafer »

What are you talking about? It's coming to PC.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Yep, it is coming to PC, just like all major NFS games. EA wouldn't let PC out of this. :D

At first I also thought it wouldn't come, because everyone was talking about PS4 and Xbox One, but they will release the game on the current generation too. Later, they will release it on the new consoles.
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

yeah my mistake, Wikipedia takes forever to update this s*it. still, plenty of reasons to hate EA :3

well on paper it's looking like the best NFS so far, minus Frostbite and well, Origin. let's hope practice as well.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

This game looks like another hot pursuit with open-world chases..people were complaining in most wanted that there was no customization and no cops vs. racers mode or online pursuits, now you got them on top of that we got Ferrari back for the true old school fans i'm talking about who started playing need for speed on the 1990's this is epic.so far i like what im seeing sooo far but ill wait till e3 to see what this game's its all about i wanted online pursuits where me and my buddy can ran away not from players cops but also A.i cops, red view county sounds like its gonna have massive deserts, wastelands since they talked about sandstorms and stuff off course nothing beats the feeling of driving on country roads and rolling hills and catching that sweet airtime! and this time they will have jumps and all of that fun stuff.

My question its ,they talked about missions in this game?.. what about a single player,/career, point to point set up races or circuits? :?: ..hopefully those questions will be answer at E3.
ianism
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ianism »

so far, so good. (but how many times have we said that?) :lol:
i have nothing more to add
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

Spokesperson Stefano Saporetti, Head of Brand Operations in Ferrari added, “We are back in the Need For Speed franchise, starting with Need for Speed Rivals, as we want the fans of this world famous and award winning racing game saga to be able again to feel the excitement of the Ferrari Brand and cars.”

Welcome back Ferrari , i cant wait to unleash the raging bull against you! :mrgreen:
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

As with every other NFS game in the past, the announcement is always huge. Everyone (or almost everyone) likes what is said or shown, "this is going to be a great game", etc. I can't say I'm not excited about this game, but there's something about it that doesn't feel quite right... either this will be a great game or a flop in my opinion. No mid-term. They seem to be mixing a lot of things together. If they mix it right, Rivals can be a very good NFS. If they mix it wrong, well...

It looks like a Hot Pursuit 2013 to me, together with the fun stuff of Most Wanted 2012 and a very thin singleplayer/multiplayer boundary. Not sure what kind of Underground part will we have, so far I haven't seen much information about customization. They speak about vinyls and rims, but that's it, I don't believe we will have a tuning system like Underground. Especially if they are going to put exotic cars in the game. Ferrari won't ever allow players to change the bodywork of their cars, unless it is to turn them into a race-spec car, like a GT3. And many other brands won't allow it either. If we get tuner cars though, we might be able to install some bodywork parts, but I sense something like The Run, that is, very limited.

I'm curious about the handling. Last time Frostbite engine was used, the handling was awful in my opinion, so we will see how good Ghost Games can make this Need For Speed. There is some good competition this year with GRID 2 out already. More than anything, I would like them to really take quality control seriously.
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

Very Nice So Far !! I Hope They Don't Mess It Up This Time Too ...
What Comes Around, Goes Around ...
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

so do Ferrari's appear in all the game versions or just Xbox 360? i doubt Microsoft would allow the PC version to have them.
ianism
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ianism »

MaxT wrote:so do Ferrari's appear in all the game versions or just Xbox 360? i doubt Microsoft would allow the PC version to have them.
don't be silly. they wouldn't put a ferrari in the 2nd photo released and teaser trailer. they have a spokesperson from Ferrari saying they're back in the series. they wouldn't make this much noise and then go 'oh actually it's only available on one platform'. plus if Microsoft doesn't allow it on the PC version, why would it be on the XB360?

as for handling i am told it is drifting-oriented like HP. poop. :?

also it is coming out for the next-gen consoles as well as the current ones.
i have nothing more to add
StaneSKT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by StaneSKT »

Only the time will show.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

MaxT wrote:so do Ferrari's appear in all the game versions or just Xbox 360? i doubt Microsoft would allow the PC version to have them.
no you cant forget the Xbox One :mrgreen:

looking forward to seeing more of this game
Instagram @SupraHKS
Jack33673
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jack33673 »

ianism wrote:so far, so good. (but how many times have we said that?) :lol:
A lot really.
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

MaxT wrote:brings back customization (I think? who cares)...
I care about customization more than any other feature of the game, honestly. That is what provides me with the hours of replay-ability. Without it I lost interest in the games rather quickly after the first time through.
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

Phantom_pain33 wrote:This game looks like another hot pursuit with open-world chases..people were complaining in most wanted that there was no customization and no cops vs. racers mode or online pursuits, now you got them...
we don't know about this yet...
remember how criterion talked about massive customization in most wanted... and what it turned out to be.
as long as we don't see rock hard proof of customization... everything regarding customization in NFS is a large bluff.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

Hydro_PT wrote:There is some good competition this year with GRID 2 out already. More than anything, I would like them to really take quality control seriously.
There's also GT6, Forza 5, as well as possibly Drive Club...

this year's going to be another huge year for Racing Games.
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

Overreactman wrote:
I care about customization more than any other feature of the game, honestly. That is what provides me with the hours of replay-ability. Without it I lost interest in the games rather quickly after the first time through.
then you should look for a different game, NFS was never about that until Black Box came along. NFS's downfall started with Underground.

don't get me wrong, I want it too, but not if it means sacrificing gameplay, or if it consists of ugly plastic body parts, stupid fake rims that spin when the car is stationary, colored nitromethane spray or trunk speakers. that stuff's just tacky.
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

MaxT wrote:
Overreactman wrote:
then you should look for a different game, NFS was never about that until Black Box came along. NFS's downfall started with Underground.

don't get me wrong, I want it too, but not if it means sacrificing gameplay, or if it consists of ugly plastic body parts, stupid fake rims that spin when the car is stationary, colored nitromethane spray or trunk speakers. that stuff's just tacky.
you call those cheap things customization???
i think everyone will be happy if we could have shift2 level of customization (there should ONLY be different (2or3) body kits to select from... no cheap spoilers, no cheap bumpers...etc)
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by okuhle94 »

This game sounds very promising so far. I hope more will be revealed soon (I assume at E3 2013). I hope there will be full car customization (like Most Wanted 2005 or something).
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

Navid_A1 wrote: you call those cheap things customization???
i think everyone will be happy if we could have shift2 level of customization (there should ONLY be different (2or3) body kits to select from... no cheap spoilers, no cheap bumpers...etc)
I hope for a better paint and vinyl placement system, Shift 2's was a pain, not to mention you couldn't chose the rim color.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

I'm pretty much sure the "customization" we will have in this game will be like The Run, or like SHIFT 2. That is, 1 to 3 bodykits per car (spoilers and/or hoods included), wheels, a custom paintjob, a simple vinyl system (if any). So far we have only seen exotic cars, I don't think an Aston Martin One-77, a Koenigsegg Agera or a Ferrari F12 will look good with tons of aftermarket parts on them, like bumpers, spoilers, neons, lights, crazy rims, etc. The Underground and Underground 2 era is long gone now. Even the movies that originated those games don't feature much tuning anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have another Underground game, or similar, but it won't happen. I thought it could happen this year, given the fact that Criterion "rebooted" both Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted. But it didn't happen, so let's just move along. ;)
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

Hydro_PT wrote:I'm pretty much sure the "customization" we will have in this game will be like The Run, or like SHIFT 2. That is, 1 to 3 bodykits per car (spoilers and/or hoods included), wheels, a custom paintjob, a simple vinyl system (if any). So far we have only seen exotic cars, I don't think an Aston Martin One-77, a Koenigsegg Agera or a Ferrari F12 will look good with tons of aftermarket parts on them, like bumpers, spoilers, neons, lights, crazy rims, etc. The Underground and Underground 2 era is long gone now. Even the movies that originated those games don't feature much tuning anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have another Underground game, or similar, but it won't happen. I thought it could happen this year, given the fact that Criterion "rebooted" both Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted. But it didn't happen, so let's just move along. ;)
Well said Hydro.honestly i can deal with a nice custom paint job system(decals,vinyls layers..ect..)..preferably Undeground level of detail maybe some body kits like the run better like most wanted 2005 or shift.
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

despite TheRun being a disaster... i really liked the body-kit system in it that meant very clean and classy visual customization...

add in performance upgrades and paint shop then you have a perfect customization model (IMO).

Return to “News”