Speculation: NFSU3 in 2014

The Future of Need For Speed
MrStalker
Ricer
Ricer

Speculation: NFSU3 in 2014

Post by MrStalker »

Okey, this maybe cross-posting since I wrote about this in the "name the game"-thread, but I think it deserves an own thread.

Need for Speed - The Movie is due for release in 2014. The movie centers around a storyline with an very Underground-ish theme to it. That much is known (source: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7 ... ould-star/)

The obvious question is: Would it not make a lot of sense to release a similarly themed video game around the same time, building on the hype of the movie? (this is a very common move when the movie and video game industries mate)

Given the fact that Underground 2 was one of the highest critically praised games in the franchise's history, and highest-selling, it makes perfect sense. Spark new interest in underground street racing with a new movie, much like the original The Fast and the Furious did, then release a new Underground game.

Now, introduce Ghost Games. For those of you who don't now, Ghost Games is a new game studio located in Gothenburg, Sweden, previously known as EA Gothenburg. Now, before the new studio changed profile and the website was redesigned, it had a text describing itself as a studio focused on the Frostbite 2 engine and a bunch of job adverts with the text "Would you like to work on a game in the Need for Speed franchise?". It stands to reason that Ghost Games is tasked with a future NFS-title, possibly in collaboration with another EA-studio. It's unlikely, however, that the title is for release next year, but it could very much be the Underground-title for 2014. (source: http://www.webcitation.org/6C5fFAsdY & http://www.webcitation.org/6C5f6VJFZ)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Speculation: NFSU3 in 2014

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Yup, this is certainly plausible, although it was said the movie would speak to the franchise in general, and not any specific title. Nonetheless, the "Underground" scene certainly can't be ignored in that.
MrStalker
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MrStalker »

They say that but how could they combine of the themes of all NFS-games into one? NFS is so spread out who knows what they mean by "the franchise in general". Basically the thing they have in common is cars going really, really fast. And a lack of pedestrians.
junior6at
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by junior6at »

I'd like for them to add another tuner based racer to the series, but not how they did it with the Underground series. I'm going to leave it at that.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

I think a lot of people know where I stand regarding Underground series...

no?

well here it is again... the trend is dead... There already WAS a "NFS Underground Movie" and they're called The Fast and the Furious...

but even after 5 iterations, you can see how the car scene has turned away from ricing and tuning into exotics and classic muscles. All the better for it!

Nowadays if you see a car with neon under it at night, or scissor doors, spinners, etc (mind you, SEMA's still big every year) you'd be almost instantly branded a "Douchebag"

Sure it was fun when it was released and it was cool to have all those Ricer look back then... it's not longer the case now...

and LIKE I said with Most Wanted... NO MATTER what EA releases, there will be 2 camps who WILL hate the game... and I guarantee it:
EA makes an Underground VERY similar to the original 2... sure people will say "yay" but A LOT will say "It's the same crap again! only with upgraded graphics! there's no point in playing!!!"

EA makes an Underground quite differently and name it Underground, or Underground 3... sure people will say "yay" but A LOT will say "It's not the Underground I used to know! this sucks!!!"

there's no way to please anyone, other than to NOT make it...

"The only way to win the game, is to not play it."
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

I do see what you mean there. Ug1 and 2 were appropriate at the time. Street racing really isn't big anymore and there isn't anything tuner related in the car world they can add since ug2. Only stuff that comes to mind is the eclipse, fr-s, gt-r, and all the old cars they missed.
MrStalker
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MrStalker »

zedex wrote:"The only way to win the game, is to not play it."
I think it's a bit over-dramatic to compare making a video game to thermonuclear war, but I do too see your point. I'm not involved in the "car scene", so I can't say anything about that. But Underground 2 was a great game with a lot of depth (for that time) and not only because of the ricers and over the top visual tuning. The Fast and the Furious did not make Underground into two great games, they did that on their own. So I guess my point is, there's whole new generation of gamers now that would appreciate a game in the same spirit as Underground, regardless of current "trends" and what has or hasn't been done in the past.

EDIT: Just wanted to add: I for one is probably part of what the industry calls a "hardcore" audience. I like to put some time into my games. I like the sense of progression and sense of achievement you get from starting out with a crappy-ass Nissan and $0 on my bank account and working my way up to a super-fast screaming four-wheeled monster. I like being able to customize the looks of my ride to my personal satisfaction.

I don't like Criterion's Most Wanted, or at least how it looks from what I've read about it in reviews and the such, I haven't bought it (yet?). I don't like just jumping in a super-fast car from the beginning and smashing some cop cars just like that. What's the achievement? When I switch car all my unlocks in the previous car must be unlocked again. Where is the progression? It's clear to me that Criterion's Most Wanted is geared towards a casual audience and quick fixes. I hate that. I hate the direction the game industry seems to be taking with casual games.

I may just be nostalgic, but for me Underground 2 is still the best NFS game EVER made. The original Most Wanted second.
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by okuhle94 »

I hope the movie is good.

I really hope Ghost Studio's listens to what the NFS Fans really want in the next NFS Game. I thought Criterion would be making future NFS games.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

It's quiet interesting indeed. From reading the sources, I think it may very well be the case.

As mentioned at the g4tv link, it's involves both the 'street scene' and the more exotic cars, so if the next NFS was in this vein then it would seem logical, trying to appeal to the many 'UG petitioners' while continuing to push the series forward and continue evolving from where the series is presently.
SUPRA1
Stock
Stock

Post by SUPRA1 »

l would have never posted or even make an account if l didn't see your comment.

Need for speed may have a massive fan base but how many of those people are buying game the day it comes out now due to the very poor titles and ideas these new need for speed games are coming out with.

What happened to saving your money for your next car and the next upgrade ?

when did winning a car and not being able to buy them become a trend ?

what people want is an open world game for ps3 and xbox that you can tune your car with body kits exhaust and turbos whatever you want we don't need neon's just like we don't need free cars instead of buying our cars. We need to race people online and cruise about driving to the next race pulling up next to another car at the lights and be able to race them a quarter mile down a straight road ye need for speed most wanted has that but it also lets you jump out your car into another one which again you haven't bought. The thing Ea does not realize there will always be haters of any game they make so why hold off a game alot of people want l never heard any one wanting a need for speed hot pursuit mind you the original was good back in the day but its boring these are standard cars you want to make your car different from other peoples.

look what Forza is doing there on the right track to making a game we all want with there new game Horizon l don't really like the whole festival rubbish but apart from that its really good something test drive 2 should have been if it wasn't let down by very poor driving mechanics.

Instead of releasing a game every couple of months why not take ideas from different game and put them together and really make an impression instead of these average games that people are not buying because they no that its the same old rubbish nfs that we don't want to play.
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by okuhle94 »

SUPRA1 wrote:
l would have never posted or even make an account if l didn't see your comment.

Need for speed may have a massive fan base but how many of those people are buying game the day it comes out now due to the very poor titles and ideas these new need for speed games are coming out with.

What happened to saving your money for your next car and the next upgrade ?

when did winning a car and not being able to buy them become a trend ?

what people want is an open world game for ps3 and xbox that you can tune your car with body kits exhaust and turbos whatever you want we don't need neon's just like we don't need free cars instead of buying our cars. We need to race people online and cruise about driving to the next race pulling up next to another car at the lights and be able to race them a quarter mile down a straight road ye need for speed most wanted has that but it also lets you jump out your car into another one which again you haven't bought. The thing Ea does not realize there will always be haters of any game they make so why hold off a game alot of people want l never heard any one wanting a need for speed hot pursuit mind you the original was good back in the day but its boring these are standard cars you want to make your car different from other peoples.

look what Forza is doing there on the right track to making a game we all want with there new game Horizon l don't really like the whole festival rubbish but apart from that its really good something test drive 2 should have been if it wasn't let down by very poor driving mechanics.

Instead of releasing a game every couple of months why not take ideas from different game and put them together and really make an impression instead of these average games that people are not buying because they no that its the same old rubbish nfs that we don't want to play.
+1
[luixkorrea]
Ricer
Ricer

Post by [luixkorrea] »

SUPRA1 wrote:

That is exactly right!

The Next NFS game need to bring the customization back! Also, they need to come out with some kind of progression system (off and online). Starting with almost nothing and go unlocking stuff (performance and tuning items, cars, etc).

The last 2 or 3 NFS games SUCKs!
Demon_Slayer723
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Demon_Slayer723 »

I think people need to stop trying to revive old NFS games as in the end, whilst the new version might get great reviews, there will be differences when compared to the old series and people will end up butthurt and disappointed. This was proven with NFS: HP (2010), yes it got great reviews, but a lot of people who loved the old hot pursuit got disappointed because there were too many differences.
The Need for speed series really needs to go in a new direction do something new. One main good thing that I think of NFS: The run is that whilst it wasn't a great game, at least they tried to do something different with the series (though don't count me on that as I haven't played the run).
IFlip92
Stock
Stock

Post by IFlip92 »

Demon_Slayer723 wrote:I think people need to stop trying to revive old NFS games as in the end, whilst the new version might get great reviews, there will be differences when compared to the old series and people will end up butthurt and disappointed. This was proven with NFS: HP (2010), yes it got great reviews, but a lot of people who loved the old hot pursuit got disappointed because there were too many differences.
The Need for speed series really needs to go in a new direction do something new. One main good thing that I think of NFS: The run is that whilst it wasn't a great game, at least they tried to do something different with the series (though don't count me on that as I haven't played the run).
No you are wrong. They should stop trying to reMAKE all these old games and instead build upon everything they did great. Why the hell do they keep trying to make "new" games with new mechanics and new gameplay is beyond me because the old ones worked great. They have their own MMO game but they are STILL trying to push very hard for multiplayer in every single new game they bring out for some reason.

Just like you said between the old and new HP people hated it because of too many differences therefore it should have not even be named HP as it stains the name. If you remake an old game make it exactly as it was and just add new features to it but don't take anything out unless it is really necessary. They are going about this really stupidly such as this new Most Wanted doesn't feel like the old MW AT ALL! The old MW felt like the Underground series just that it was during daytime while this new one felt like the new HP lol!

The new tuner scene is more about making most things custom so for that they could easily use the Carbon Autosculpt feature which I haven't seen since! The trendy styles now are dub style, euro style, rat rod, and JDM. A lot of stance with clean looking cars with camber adjustments, fat wheels with big polished lips and over fenders/rolled arches for crazy fitment. Could also have air rides, hydraulics as they are still being used today and they are not ricey at all. All of these could easily be put into a game!

Using Frostbite 2 was a stupid thing to do on The Run because that engine is clearly not made for racing games so they should just get back on the EAGL engine and bring it up to speed as that was the base of all their great games. Even NFS World is based on the old EAGL3 same as MW and Carbon hence why it is quite succesful! U1 and 2 used EAGL2 so basically all their crap games have come from using shiznit game engines that make the game look and feel completely different from the normal NFS. Too much work on flashy stuff instead of their racing physics. In these new games you can't even pull off a single believable, good-looking drift! All scripted non-sense!
K-Dawg99
Stock
Stock

Post by K-Dawg99 »

No!!!! Need for speed can REMAKE their games but they use the old technology. In my opinion if UG 2 was a story after you beat Eddie in UG 1. Why didn't they do it afterwards with Caleb in UG 2? I liked it when Midnight Club Rivaled Need For Speed in free roam and even who could costumizeing the cars. The last good rivalry beetween theses 2 franchises was Midnight Club 3 and Need For Speed Underground 2.
MrStalker
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MrStalker »

I guess my assumption that Ghost wouldn't be ready to release a game in 2013 was incorrect. But the rest may still hold true, which rises the question, who develops the 2014 entry? I do still expect that there will be a NFS in 2014, and I expect that it won't be released by Ghost since EA has "promised" to not push a developer to release a new game every year.

Criterion, it seems, are taking a break from developing racing titles for now. So who will it be? By now, for sure, the game is already in development. Maybe Black Box? But they are supposed to be focusing on free2play games (and honestly, hasn't produced a decent NFS-game since Most Wanted).
nfsf1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by nfsf1 »

Hello guys! The most special things in Underground is modding cars and drift :-({|= , these features of U2 are best in NFS series. In next NFS release ( maybe Underground 3 ), I prefer U2+cops+better graphic+huge map and online playing
Attachments
My U2
My U2
ThunderScrambler
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ThunderScrambler »

nfsf1 wrote:Hello guys! The most special things in Underground is modding cars and drift :-({|= , these features of U2 are best in NFS series. In next NFS release ( maybe Underground 3 ), I prefer U2+cops+better graphic+huge map and online playing
You got a point there. :wink:
But there must be a reason why they aren't doing this again... :-k
MrStalker
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MrStalker »

nfsf1 wrote:Hello guys! The most special things in Underground is modding cars and drift :-({|= , these features of U2 are best in NFS series. In next NFS release ( maybe Underground 3 ), I prefer U2+cops+better graphic+huge map and online playing
Doesn't that sound an awful lot like Carbon..?

I don't think we need cops in every NFS game. I mean, it a really popular feature and is sort of one of the features that defines NFS, but I think it counterproductive to get hung up on that we MUST have cops in every NFS game. Underground 1 & 2 didn't have any cops, but they are still two of the most loved, best selling and highest rated titles in the franchise's history.

I think it's really hard to point a finger at specific features and say "this is what made Underground 2 a great game". It's really a case of where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. But here are some of the things I find so appealing:

* Incentive. Why am I doing this? What is my story? Underground 2 had a good story to drive the game forward. You needed to win races to earn money, to upgrade your car so in the end you could beat that a-hole Caleb. Not the best story ever written, but it worked.
* Progression. Tied in with the above. Most good stuff was unavailable at the start, providing an incentive to keep going forward.
* Variety of game modes. Like drift, street-X, drag and URL, which doesn't exist any more.
* An open world, with enough stuff to make it worth exploring, but not to big. These bank/info icons you could get to earn some extra money, and the car shops you needed to find to get better parts, simply brilliant.
* Customization. Tons and tons of it. Some of the best aspects of the game, to make the car that you want.
* Tuning. Highly detailed.
* Physics. Arcade, but still believable. In a racing game it should be rewarding to use good racing techniques, but not to punishing if you don't. No fake powerslides. YOU should be in total control of your car.
* No cops. Really, cops in Underground 2 would had made the game... not bad, but certainly not as good.
* No supercars. Just wouldn't fit in with the games profile. I think one of the problems with current gen titles is that you must firetruck up the physics to make the supercars manageable to drive.

Unfortunate the mainstream casual gamer these days doesn't care much about the actual "feel" of the game, like I do. They, and publishers as it seems, care more about quantifiable attributes such as, number of cars, miles of road, number of races, number of ridiculous jumps and shiznit like that.
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

MrStalker wrote:

I don't think we need cops in every NFS game. I mean, it a really popular feature and is sort of one of the features that defines NFS, but I think it counterproductive to get hung up on that we MUST have cops in every NFS game. Underground 1 & 2 didn't have any cops, but they are still two of the most loved, best selling and highest rated titles in the franchise's history.

I think it's really hard to point a finger at specific features and say "this is what made Underground 2 a great game". It's really a case of where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. But here are some of the things I find so appealing:

* Incentive. Why am I doing this? What is my story? Underground 2 had a good story to drive the game forward. You needed to win races to earn money, to upgrade your car so in the end you could beat that a-hole Caleb. Not the best story ever written, but it worked.
* Progression. Tied in with the above. Most good stuff was unavailable at the start, providing an incentive to keep going forward.
* Variety of game modes. Like drift, street-X, drag and URL, which doesn't exist any more.
* An open world, with enough stuff to make it worth exploring, but not to big. These bank/info icons you could get to earn some extra money, and the car shops you needed to find to get better parts, simply brilliant.
* Customization. Tons and tons of it. Some of the best aspects of the game, to make the car that you want.
* Physics. Arcade, but still believable. In a racing game it should be rewarding to use good racing techniques, but not to punishing if you don't. No fake powerslides. YOU should be in total control of your car.
* No cops. Really, cops in Underground 2 would had made the game... not bad, but certainly not as good.
* No supercars. Just wouldn't fit in with the games profile. I think one of the problems with current gen titles is that you must firetruck up the physics to make the supercars manageable to drive.

Unfortunate the mainstream casual gamer these days doesn't care much about the actual "feel" of the game, like I do. They, and publishers as it seems, care more about quantifiable attributes such as, number of cars, miles of road, number of races, number of ridiculous jumps and shiznit like that.
* cops in NFS are not a problem... it's just that the game should not be entirely around cop vs racer.
* yes there should be enough incentive to keep you pushing on and sharpening your skills... to get better and worthy stuff... not breaking billboards and gates and jumps and *$&#^$*&# (which are the most pointless activity in an NFS game... :x )
* i'm a fan of big and diverse open worlds and lots of miles.
* i'm a fan of clean and professional customization and tuning (like NFS:PU and SHIFT series) not cheap neon fests like U and U2 (thats why i stayed away from U and U2)
* i'm all for realistic physics.
* LOTS of cars... (tuners, muscles, supercars... everything)... an NFS without super cars? :?

i can also summarize it all in one sentence..... give us another PU
nfsf1
Ricer
Ricer

Post by nfsf1 »

MrStalker, I said U2+ so of course it's not Carbon, because Carbon=U2- :mrgreen: Please read carefully before make your post

Also Underground 3 should include all best features of NFS series, but must base on Underground 2. Because U2 is the heart of NFS series: the real illegal street racing style :D , that make NFS different from other games ( GTA4,5,Grand Tusimo,Dirt...)
Attachments
speed2 2013-05-30 00-15-48-89.jpg
[luixkorrea]
Ricer
Ricer

Post by [luixkorrea] »

MrStalker wrote:

Sounds good! The tuning should be according to tendencies. For examples, neons are not being used anymore. But I'm in favor of customization! And also the (U-U2) idea of illegal racing.

About the supercars, I think that in the correct type of race you can have some sports cars competing eachother.
MrStalker
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MrStalker »

nfsf1 wrote:MrStalker, I said U2+ so of course it's not Carbon, because Carbon=U2- :mrgreen: Please read carefully before make your post

Also Underground 3 should include all best features of NFS series, but must base on Underground 2. Because U2 is the heart of NFS series: the real illegal street racing style :D , that make NFS different from other games ( GTA4,5,Grand Tusimo,Dirt...)
In case my previous post wasn't clear enough, I don't think U3 should include ALL of the best features from NFS, simply because they are to many and don't fit together. Don't get hung up on the feature list! It's the experience as a whole that counts. For example, cop chases are one of the best features of NFS, but I don't think U3 should have cops, because it wouldn't be Underground if it did, it would be Most Wanted. MW (2005) did a very good job of mixing the various elements from previous NFS games I think, and I'd love to see a proper remake/reboot/sequel to MW made (Criterion's Need for Burnout doesn't count). But as long as it's Underground we're talking about, no cops.
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

nfsf1 wrote:Because U2 is the heart of NFS series
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.
Do you know there are SIX games before the underground series that are nothing like it at all?
If you don't, I suggest you go do some research.

That said, U1 > U2.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

My question is why don't you guys play NEED FOR SPEED WORLD? , it has all the features that you guys are asking for and better yet you want that next upgrade race.drag your heart out if not spend some real money on parts simple it doesn't get any better than that.the reason why ea not make an underground 3 its because you got black box in charge of nfs world pretty much bringing everything from the underground series into one big game...do the classic fans are getting a game like nfs world ..i wish we can have a need for speed game where they take the best tracks from the classics like Hometown,Aquatica,Rocky pass..etc and then we can all just race online with cops.wait for rivals which its looking a lot like one of the best games in the series high stakes concept,paper wise.

Return to “NFS 2022”