NFS: Rivals - system requirements

Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

NFS: Rivals - system requirements

Post by Hydro_PT »

With the release date for Need For Speed: Rivals fast approaching (19th November for current gen and PC), EA has apparently revealed the official system requirements for the game. So, if you were wondering whether or not your PC is ready for Rivals, don't wait further and look below for both the minimum and recommended system requirements.

Minimum System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 @2.6 GHz
RAM: at least 4 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 3870 512 MB or better / NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB or better / IntelHD 4000 integrated 512 MB or better
DirectX: 10.1 compatible
Disc drive: CD/DVD ROM drive required for installation only
HDD: at least 30 GB of free space
Input: Keyboard and mouse
Online Connection Requirements: 512 Kbps or faster internet connection

Recommended System Requirements

OS: Windows XP / Windows Vista (SP2) / Windows 7 / Windows 8 (64-bit)
CPU: Intel Quad Core CPU, AMD Duo Core CPU
RAM: at least 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 7870 3GB or better / NVIDIA GeForce GT660 3GB or better
DirectX: 11 compatible
Disc drive: CD/DVD ROM drive required for installation only
HDD: at least 30 GB of free space
Input: Keyboard and mouse
Online Connection Requirements: 512 Kbps or faster internet connection

Source: NFSPlanet
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: NFS: Rivals - system requirements

Post by YaelDjiel »

Those are some pretty low requirements, these days.

It's funny how it lists dx10.1 as minimum, yet it works on XP with a 3870/8800GT.. :D
Ouch @ 30GB free space. This is getting more ridiculous with every new game lol.

Either way, I'm easily covered with these recommended specs, yay :P
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

Hydro_PT wrote: HDD: at least 30 GB of free space
WHAT
IN THE ACTUAL
F***!!

seriously? that's exaggerated even for a Frostcrap game. if Criterion had made this I doubt it would ask for more than 10 GB.

well, buying the game was out of the question a long time ago, but now so is pirating it. so I guess EA wins.
Strafer
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Strafer »

MaxT wrote:
WHAT
IN THE ACTUAL
F***!!

seriously? that's exaggerated even for a Frostcrap game. if Criterion had made this I doubt it would ask for more than 10 GB.

well, buying the game was out of the question a long time ago, but now so is pirating it. so I guess EA wins.
That's nothing.

Call of Duty Ghosts requires 50 GB. :P
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

Strafer wrote: That's nothing.

don't care about CoD. if I were to start appreciating games just cause they are better than CoD then I'd have nothing to complain about.
(YES THAT WOULD BE A BAD THING -.-')
Jack33673
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jack33673 »

Strafer wrote:
MaxT wrote:
WHAT
IN THE ACTUAL
F***!!

That's nothing.

50GB for CoD: G? They must be smoking something at EA.
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by okuhle94 »

Minimus OS is Windows XP, DirectX is 10.1?? :?

I thought Windows XP only supported up to DirectX 9??

Yoh 4GB Minimum RAM is insane, and 30GB space...yho!! I just have 60GB / 455GB free on my laptop! :(

I hope my laptop will be able to play it well on low graphics at least. I have the battlefield 4 demo on my laptop, and I am barely getting 30fps on lowest graphics :( These are soecs for my laptop:

Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.0GHz, 6GB DDR3-1333MHz, Nvidia GT 525M 1GB DDR3, 500GB 7200RP HDD, 15,6" Screen.

I will be paying for my pre-order later today :) I might just buy a laptop fan for the overclocking of my graphics card on my laptop :)
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

okuhle94 wrote:Minimus OS is Windows XP, DirectX is 10.1??

I thought Windows XP only supported up to DirectX 9??
Windows XP supports DX10 as well. and there's hardly any difference between DX10 and DX11.

but I didn't notice this in the specs (I tend to look only at CPU, GPU, disk space and RAM, lul). yeah I think these specs are fake, Widnows XP support was dropped from almost every EA game, NFS as well starting with Criterion's Most Wanted. not to mention "Recommended Requirements" are always precise configurations required to run the game perfectly, they don't start with "at least this" or "at least that".

anyway if you won't be able to run Frostcrap with all the fancy graphics it has to offer is it worth wasting 30GB of space?
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

That's one of the reasons why I put "Source: NFS Planet" at the end of the post. At the time I did a quick search on Google looking for this, but nothing came up. So, I'm not sure where NFS Planet got the info, Windows XP doesn't look right in there, considering recent NFS games do not run in XP.

Also, Windows XP does not support DirectX 10. Only by using emulators and things like that you can *try* to run DX 10 games, but natively XP only uses DX 9.
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

Hydro_PT wrote:That's one of the reasons why I put "Source: NFS Planet" at the end of the post. At the time I did a quick search on Google looking for this, but nothing came up. So, I'm not sure where NFS Planet got the info, Windows XP doesn't look right in there, considering recent NFS games do not run in XP.

Also, Windows XP does not support DirectX 10. Only by using emulators and things like that you can *try* to run DX 10 games, but natively XP only uses DX 9.
NFSPlanet, didn't see that. would have called fake on it from the start if I had lul.

anyway that's good to know.
wicken
Ricer
Ricer

Post by wicken »

Those are the real PC system requirements guys.
http://www.needforspeed.com/news/gamepl ... s-pc-specs
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Then EA has to explain how Windows XP can be both the minimum and recommended OS when the game only runs in DX 10 or DX 11. :lol:
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by okuhle94 »

I had a look, NFS The Run takes 15.4GB on my HDD, NFS Most Wanted 2012 takes 6.26GB on my HDD. Yho 30GB is quite steep, I hope it doesnt use up all 30GB.

I personally don't mind as long as the game has few (prefferably none) glitches and bugs.
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

okuhle94 wrote:I had a look, NFS The Run takes 15.4GB on my HDD, NFS Most Wanted 2012 takes 6.26GB on my HDD. Yho 30GB is quite steep, I hope it doesnt use up all 30GB.

I personally don't mind as long as the game has few (prefferably none) glitches and bugs.
remember... its frostbite...!... 3.0 !!
it will force its entire database on your PC just to run a racing game... and its database is large!!
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

Navid_A1 wrote:
okuhle94 wrote:I had a look, NFS The Run takes 15.4GB on my HDD, NFS Most Wanted 2012 takes 6.26GB on my HDD. Yho 30GB is quite steep, I hope it doesnt use up all 30GB.

it will force its entire database on your PC just to run a racing game... and its database is large!!
cool story. I'll just stick with crappy engine and poorly optimized game thank you.

anyway EA also said NFS Most Wanted was gonna use Frostbite, and they still haven't fixed the NFS World bug that prevents people from giving them money. so the only logical conclusion is that EA is run by bots.

just wait for the game to come out, the real specs will be clear then.
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by okuhle94 »

Navid_A1 wrote:

Yoh!! :O Oh my goodness!! Crap that's going to take a toll on my already low ended graphics card (GT 525M) i am assuming. Yoh no, FrostBite 3.0 games needing 4GB RAM minimum (BF4, NFSR), FrostBite 4 Will probably take up 6GB Minimum :(

Better get that laptop fan ready for a little overclocking :D
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by okuhle94 »

MaxT wrote:
Navid_A1 wrote:

cool story. I'll just stick with crappy engine and poorly optimized game thank you.

anyway EA also said NFS Most Wanted was gonna use Frostbite, and they still haven't fixed the NFS World bug that prevents people from giving them money. so the only logical conclusion is that EA is run by bots.

just wait for the game to come out, the real specs will be clear then.
Most Wanted 2012 was made with Chameleon (Criterion's Engine) if I remember correctly. Yoh had no idea they were going to Frostbite the game....wonder why that didn't happen? Time constraints perhaps?
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

okuhle94 wrote: Most Wanted 2012 was made with Chameleon (Criterion's Engine) if I remember correctly. Yoh had no idea they were going to Frostbite the game....wonder why that didn't happen? Time constraints perhaps?
not everything can be blamed on deadlines bro. if anything I think Frostcrap games actually take up more development time.

and yeah Most Wanted 2012 uses Chameleon 2.0, AKA RenderWare 4.0, AKA the engine that EA should be using in all their games rather than Frostcrap,
DateMost2
Ricer
Ricer

Post by DateMost2 »

Shiat it'll not work on my pc :D I'm so glad :D
MrStalker
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MrStalker »

First of all, okey, 30 GB is a bit steep, but who gives a firetruck, seriously? It's HDD space it costs like nothing these days. Sure, i can understand you're upset if you want to install on you SSD, but what did you expect? Most next-gen games will take up a lot of space. Get a hybrid disk.

Secondly, Frostbite 3.0 doesn't support XP, and XP doesn't support any DirectX runtime above 9.0c, so whoever pushed those specs out at EA probably had a brain fart.

Last and most importantly: Stop bitching ffs. Of course the specs are going to be higher than those of last-gen titles! Finally we are starting to see some games with really good technology and amazing graphics worthy of high-end PCs, and all you do is complain? Well then, buy it on console ffs. Glorious PC Gaming Master Race FTW!
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

MrStalker wrote:First of all, okey, 30 GB is a bit steep, but who gives a firetruck, seriously? It's HDD space it costs like nothing these days.
not really. but even if that were true, why do we have to buy new components cause the developers are too lazy to optimize their games properly (which should be their no.1 priority for all platforms, but it only seems to actually happen for the console versions)?
MrStalker wrote: Sure, i can understand you're upset if you want to install on you SSD, but what did you expect? Most next-gen games will take up a lot of space. Get a hybrid disk.
there is no "next-gen" for PC games. PC technology constantly evolves, and with proper optimization games can look great, run great and take up little hard drive space regardless of whether we're talking about 2004 or 2013. sure, they'll get bigger and bigger, but with proper optimization that change is constant, so constant we should hardly be able to notice it. NFS jumped from 8 GB to 30 GB in one year -.-
MrStalker wrote: Secondly, Frostbite 3.0 doesn't support XP, and XP doesn't support any DirectX runtime above 9.0c, so whoever pushed those specs out at EA probably had a brain fart.
pretty much, like I said earlier, EA also stated that NFS Most Wanted uses Frostcrap 2.0.
MrStalker wrote: Last and most importantly: Stop bitching ffs. Of course the specs are going to be higher than those of last-gen titles! Finally we are starting to see some games with really good technology and amazing graphics worthy of high-end PCs, and all you do is complain? Well then, buy it on console ffs. Glorious PC Gaming Master Race FTW!
we complain (well, I do) because Frostcrap games use a lot of resources but don't look any better than Chameleon or even RenderWare games. Frostbite is garbage. EA tells you "It has good technology!" and you start flying that around like a flag even though I'm pretty sure you have no clue what that technology actually is, or whether it's actually unique to Frostbite.
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

MrStalker wrote:...

Last and most importantly: Stop bitching ffs. Of course the specs are going to be higher than those of last-gen titles! Finally we are starting to see some games with really good technology and amazing graphics worthy of high-end PCs, and all you do is complain? Well then, buy it on console ffs. Glorious PC Gaming Master Race FTW!
why should FB3 load it's entire library just to use a fraction of it in NFS?... that's because it is not optimized for racing games... it has been mainly developed for first-person shooter games (specifically battlefield).... which happens to include driving as a part of it.
it is NFS... so no ragdoll physics... no dynamic physics model for environment destruction... no bullet hit detection

SMS with its shift2 showed what a racing game engine should be... purpose developed for racing along with great visuals.
wicken
Ricer
Ricer

Post by wicken »

Navid_A1 wrote:
MrStalker wrote:...

that's because it is not optimized for racing games... it has been mainly developed for first-person shooter games (specifically battlefield).... which happens to include driving as a part of it.
it is NFS... so no ragdoll physics... no dynamic physics model for environment destruction... no bullet hit detection
You're speaking way too early. Just in case you haven't heard, all future EA titles are going to use the Frostbite or Ignite engine so even if this title ends up badly optimized like NFS The Run, they still have plenty of time to make it even better for future NFS's.
Earlier this week Electronic Arts announced that their new sports game engine, Ignite, would be used to power nearly all of their future games. Speaking with Polygon later that day, EA Sports' Andrew Wilson said that the company is also looking to the Frostbite Engine to power most of their non-sports games.

The future for EA, Wilson said, would likely be a company that creates most of their games using these two engines.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/436228 ... ine-future
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

"so even if this title ends up badly optimized like NFS The Run, they still have plenty of time to make it even better for future NFS's."

Yes, of course, because I shall pay good money for a poorly optimized game, in the hope that maybe, in the future, another NFS game will be released that will be properly optimized. For me, they had the chance back in 2011 with The Run. They failed. I'm not hoping that Rivals will run much better. If it does though, that will be great and I will shut my mouth. But knowing EA and their way of doing this, I doubt the game will be properly optimized. Especially with next-gen versions already announced, I bet they will make a crap out of it.

Frostbite is indeed a very heavy game engine for a racing game. 30 GB is not really the issue, as I'm sure the game won't use all this space, remember that during installation you need more space. The game will probably take 18-20 GB on your system, if not less. The issue is that Frostbite was created with FPS games in mind, not racing games. And since EA cannot really optimize the game engine to use in NFS, we end up with a game engine that uses way too many resources than it is needed. In my opinion, Criterion's Chamelion is currently the best game engine for NFS games. It looks great and it also runs great. I see no need to use another game engine.

SHIFT's engine was also very good, but SMS is no longer doing NFS games and now, with PCARS in full swing, that game engine is certainly much heavier due to all the simulation code they need (especially related to physics).
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

Frostbite is badly optimized in general, has nothing to do with racing games. Battlefield isn't any better...

Return to “News”