mods in GTA3

Video games, video games and video games! Racing games, console games, fps, rpg, The everything about video games board.
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

mods in GTA3

Post by ViperJay »

hi guys, sorry if this has been already asked a lot, but I didn't come in this section of the forum.
somebody can explain me how to put mods (cars and other stuffs) in GTA3? (and Vice City aswell :D ). where can I dowload the mods, and how may I put them in the game?
can I make my own mods? how?
sorry if I asked a lot of questions, but I've just restarted playing the game, and I wanna something better in it :D
thanks you all,
peace
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

There are different ways of installing new mods... It's 3 am right now, so I won't get into details right now, but I'll give you some hints (for Vice City, but GTA3 is more or less the same)...

gta-action is the site I use the most, but this is a German site, and I don't know how good you are in German. But it's a start. The tools I use are IMG Tool v1.3 (for installing the .dff-files and .txd-files), TXD Workshop 2.5 (for modding the .txd-files), Collision File Editor 1.1 beta (for .col-files), GTATexter 0.93 (to change names on cars, e.g Infernus to Lamborghini Diablo), GTAViceCarEditor 1.1.0 (to finetune the handling.cfg-file) and Wordpad/Notepad (for .cfg and .dat). Those are for manual install. All downloads, both tools and mods, include a guide on how to install and use. It might seem complicated, and I struggled in the beginning, but I learned it :)

However, there is an easier way. There is a GTAModInstaller, which does all of this, but I've never tried it. No matter what you choose, always take backup of your files before modding...

I made a readme-file on installing mods for a friend, but it's in Norwegian, so I don't think it'll help much...

When it comes to making new cars, I can't help you :( I think you'll have to find a GTA-forum for that, and those guys will also have better answers on installing as well. Try GTAForums, I'm pretty sure there are FAQ's and threads about it there.

Hope this helps you :)
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

Morty is very active in gta topics :D ,yeah, use the GtaModInstaller, it is great, it does everything for u, ull just have to insert the path of the game, and the path of the installed game(GTA3 or Vice city), then press next, all things will be done for.but remember to make a backup,the installer will ask u to do this so just click yes, i use GtaModInstaller 5.0b now, u can get it at http://www.gtacomplex.com or u can wait for GtaModInstaller 6.0 , it is under progress by the webmaster of this site.

About making ur own cars, i'd love to do that also, but it will take alot of time, maybe a month or a more for car, but if u want contact Sin5k4 (Sin5k4@hotmail.com), he is one of the best in making cars.
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

thanks guys for your answers, I'll try to do what you said.
I think I'll use first that GtaModInstaller, till I won't have enough skills to use all those tools Morty said.
see you
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

men, I just saw the sites, they're great, a lot of stuffs to download...the only problem is the language :D
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

The german site has an option to translate into english.
And I have downloaded a Seat Leon :D
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

ive downloaded the seat Leon too, a great car :wink:
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

guys, I've a problem: I've downloaded some mods, I've put some cars in the game (using the GMI for all but one, that had the own importer). I've changed the names where it said to, but now the game's missing all the dialogues and the various writes appearing in missions, or when you stole a car, etc...
what I've done wrong??? :roll: :? :?:
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

Well, that's the reason I don't use the GMI, because you have no control on what the installer changes... I haven't had that problem, but if you know which install went wrong, then you could just uninstall that one, or use the backups. I always take backup after each install, just in case. It has saved my from a lot of work... :)

If you don't know which install is causing problems, then I think you'll have to start over again, with the default files. But as mentioned, I don't use the GMI, so there could be ways I don't know of...
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

well, i always use GMI, i never had this problem, backup what u done, and then install it by GMI again without changing the car name or the mod, i mean dont make any changes to GXT files, i think the problem is from it.
if this didnt work,just install everything manually.
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

yeah, I had to reinstall the game, because only restoring the backed up files wasn't enough. btw, were the car names to give that problem, now everything is ok...but I got a BMW M5 named Idaho... :?
KekumRulez
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KekumRulez »

There is a program wich allows you to change the ingame car-name... Dont know the name anymore, but I've a lot of that sort of shizzle on some backup disk. I'll try to find it. If I do, ill post info here :)
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

http://www.gtacomplex.com/modules.php?n ... how=15#cat
open this link, and download the GXT editor or GTA Texter, it will allow u to change the car & mod names manually and u can change the name of this Idaho to Bmw m5 :wink:
KekumRulez
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KekumRulez »

and thats exactly what I was talking about! Thanks skyline_man, this saves me a lot of time ;) 8)
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

you are welcome Mike :wink:
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

Morty wrote:The tools I use are IMG Tool v1.3 (for installing the .dff-files and .txd-files), TXD Workshop 2.5 (for modding the .txd-files), Collision File Editor 1.1 beta (for .col-files), GTATexter 0.93 (to change names on cars, e.g Infernus to Lamborghini Diablo), GTAViceCarEditor 1.1.0 (to finetune the handling.cfg-file) and Wordpad/Notepad (for .cfg and .dat).
*cough* :P
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

sorry Morty, didnt see this :wink:
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

tnx guys, I've just dowloaded the program, btw, is it difficult to use for a newbie??? :D
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

Nah, it's pretty easy :)

1 - Start GTATexter
2 - Open the .gxt-file you use (in my case american.gxt), located in the GTAVC\Text folder (or GTA3\Text if I remember correctly)
3 - Push OK on the Information popup
4 - Scroll down to (or search for) the car you want to rename
5 - Write new information in the black window
6 - Press apply (Important! Press apply for each car you rename, before moving on to the next car)
7 - Save (take backup of the old file just in case)
8 - Push OK on popup
9 - Close GTATexter
10 - Start the game

That should do it :)
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

ok, tnx, but I just can't start the program (I've the version 0.951), it gives me a message error: it says something like "impossible to find default language (english)".
I've made also a try putting the exe file in the TEXT folder, but nothing changed...what's wrong??
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

This is a continue from a thread that went a little off topic.... :P

KekumRulez: I've got a Dodge Viper that does the 1/4 mile in 6.9 sec (I use the white line in front of the Ammu Nation in Downtown as start line, and drive to the yellow line outside the Police building). That car is insane, and really hard to control... :P

ViperJay: I installed GTATexter (and the rest of the tools I use) in a separate folder, not even on the same disk as the game. You can't start it? I haven't tried v0.951, but can you search for the language file manually? Or can't you do anything after that message pops up?
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

no, nothing to do. the message appear just when I try to launch the gtatexter, then it crashes...I've never seen the program window... :?
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

Then I have two options. Either uninstall it, and install it some place else, or try v0.93. What language do you use btw?
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

man, I've tried an older version, the 0.601, and it works perfectly! I think I'll continue using that :D
now I'm getting fun with the mods in the game, I just want to put my own mods in it...I wanna try converting my 350z if I can :D
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

@Morty: how can I modify the car's handling? what have I to do?...the SL500 I've downloaded has not custom handling...it sucks this way :?

Return to “The Games”