16X dvd can't it go more faster ???

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
tamu0910
Ricer
Ricer

16X dvd can't it go more faster ???

Post by tamu0910 »

war on DVD had been declared long time ago but I guess they won it or what ? After 16 x speed i don't see anymore coming up. Whats up ?
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

It seems it is the recommended limit. Faster speeds could be dangerous or smthjign

Like the 52x in CDs
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 909 »

yes, sparco's right...

a small amount of physics for those who wanna read on...

the problem with angular momentum is that there is a limit for rotation for any substance. the centripetal acceleration towards the centre (not to be confused with centrifugal crap) results onto two acceleration components which might, if exceeded, rip apart the substance. the 52/54x cd rotation limit is eaqual to the 16X dvd rotation limit, same rate of read accesses too. much more over that, you might end up with a ruptured disc in your drive!

what about a harder layered media? apart from the plastic, one might invent a harder substance... we'll see in the future 8)
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada (Yes I live in an Igloo, moron)

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

The 1x speed rating for CDs (150 kilobytes/sec) is not to be confused with the 1x speed rating for DVDs (1.32 megabytes/sec).
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Don't you guys watch Mythbusters?

On one episode, they converted a power tool to spin cds, and when they go faster than 54x speed, they just explode and shatter everywhere.
jemc
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by jemc »

boganbusman wrote:Don't you guys watch Mythbusters?
i don't even know what this is, so no ^_^

but i think most of the DVD drivers are slower than the normal ones because DVDs take more space and they get ruined preatty easily if you scracth them just for a bit.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

N°1: I watch Mythbuster, and I think it is allways a good souce of info, althoug the do sometimes do some extra-stupid stuff. Besides, that power tool, they sayd, made the disk spin at about 200X, wich is definitely a lot.

N°2: 909 explanation is very goo, and if its not true, it sounds like it anyway. Besides the fisical impediment, you do probaly not need a faster transfer rate than the one actual 16x drives have.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”