Talk about NFS - SHIFT

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
aryamen
Ricer
Ricer

Re: Talk about NFS - SHIFT

Post by aryamen »

In NFS, you always start off the career mode in a cheap car (i.e Nissan 240SX and what not). You win cash, you upgrade your vehicle to a point where there isn't much upgrades left to apply. At some point you're forced to give it up and start over - buy a "higher level" car to be able to keep up with the opposition.
By the time you get to the lambos, bugattis and paganis the styling gets poor and ugly. Here you have an expensive and exotic car for which you're about to apply some ugly and weird looking bodyparts. I don't know what you think but a lambo doesn't really require that much makeup as opposed to a stock nissan...

I'm saying that instead of creating a huge list of cars with half-hearted styling abilities, focus on a few (classics: skyline, rx-7, 350z etc.) and add a huge list of upgrade/styling parts instead. This enables you to configure your car to the millimeter to make it more realistic. Instead of styling the exhaust tip, why not switch out the entire exhaust (inc. dampers and what not). The enthusiast may want to be able to choose the brand of the product and even the material used! (all of which does an impact on the perfomance of the car - not just for the sake of cosmetics)
For years we've been styling the exterior, what about the interior (now that we get a cockpit view)...
AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+
2GB DDR-RAM
nVidia GeForce 7900GTX 512MB
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

aryamen wrote:In NFS, you always start off the career mode in a cheap car (i.e Nissan 240SX and what not). You win cash, you upgrade your vehicle to a point where there isn't much upgrades left to apply. At some point you're forced to give it up and start over - buy a "higher level" car to be able to keep up with the opposition.
By the time you get to the lambos, bugattis and paganis the styling gets poor and ugly. Here you have an expensive and exotic car for which you're about to apply some ugly and weird looking bodyparts. I don't know what you think but a lambo doesn't really require that much makeup as opposed to a stock nissan...

I'm saying that instead of creating a huge list of cars with half-hearted styling abilities, focus on a few (classics: skyline, rx-7, 350z etc.) and add a huge list of upgrade/styling parts instead. This enables you to configure your car to the millimeter to make it more realistic. Instead of styling the exhaust tip, why not switch out the entire exhaust (inc. dampers and what not). The enthusiast may want to be able to choose the brand of the product and even the material used! (all of which does an impact on the perfomance of the car - not just for the sake of cosmetics)
For years we've been styling the exterior, what about the interior (now that we get a cockpit view)...

that's why i like Juiced 2. you can change the interior (granted, it is only the steering wheel and seats but still). maybe i want to change the shifter knob. or maybe i want different pedals. maybe they should open up these options. explore with it and experiment with it. the Lambo LP640 is stunning. they don't need to make look like JasoVorhese :twisted: . just add a flair or an overall widebody that doesn't over exagerate things. just something to make it different.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 93360 »

korge wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHiPaI8LMfk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z98932zIQmI

Graphics look like Undercover shaders meet the race track.

if it looks like that and drives like grid i'll be happy

nuff said 8)
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

I bet they're gonna take ProStreet's physics for this game.. :)
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

As long as the drift physics don't come back. The cars literally felt like they were on rails.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Shouldn't 'rail' be more rigid instead of drifty? :P
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

You know what I mean. A simple tap after you hit 30mph would send your car sideways. No tires are that good, and no car with an engine is that light.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

prince1142003 wrote:You know what I mean. A simple tap after you hit 30mph would send your car sideways. No tires are that good, and no car with an engine is that light.
I felt that UC was similar. J turns at every tap of the brakes.
korge
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

looks like a very promising game nfs stepping away from the arcade mode a bit.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

That's assuming they do. There's no indication other than the screenshots that this may be a simulation.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

prince1142003 wrote:That's assuming they do. There's no indication other than the screenshots that this may be a simulation.
Wasnt it said somewhere that SHIFT was going to be sorta sim sorta not? like, they said it would have something "extra"
korge
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

And "extra" means what exactly? For that matter, what does sorta sim sorta not mean?

That's kinda my point. Just because it looks like a sim is no reason to assume it's going to play like one.

EDIT
Would someone be able to translate these? They seem like a review or preview of some sort, with what looks like exclusive screenshots and information on NFS Shift. I think it's in Hungarian, but i might be mistaken.

http://kepfeltoltes.pirateclub.hu/pics/nfs01.jpg
http://kepfeltoltes.pirateclub.hu/pics/nfs02.jpg
http://kepfeltoltes.pirateclub.hu/pics/nfs03.jpg
http://kepfeltoltes.pirateclub.hu/pics/nfs04.jpg
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Wow nice find. I wish I could understand what's written xD.

The pics look very good...
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Just 2 more days and you'll find out everything :)
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

The screenshots are hawt. Is it just me or do cars in NFS Shift screenshots really look better than in other NFSs?
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

peterfaj wrote:The screenshots are hawt. Is it just me or do cars in NFS Shift screenshots really look better than in other NFSs?
Models look the same. Seems they updated the shaders a tad bit since UC.
korge
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

korge wrote:
peterfaj wrote:The screenshots are hawt. Is it just me or do cars in NFS Shift screenshots really look better than in other NFSs?
Models look the same. Seems they updated the shaders a tad bit since UC.
I have to agree, just looks like an updated shader model. Which brings me to ask the question, Shift, is going to be available on the PC, right?
Hydro_PT wrote:Wow nice find. I wish I could understand what's written xD.

The pics look very good...
I can't take credit for the find. I found it on NFSPlanet.com while googling for info on Shift.
Bojan wrote:Just 2 more days and you'll find out everything :)
I hate NDA's.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Bojan wrote:Just 2 more days and you'll find out everything :)
Oh yeah, I forgot there is going to be released a hands-on on March 4th about SHIFT, right? Thanks for remembering... :D
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

korge wrote:
prince1142003 wrote:You know what I mean. A simple tap after you hit 30mph would send your car sideways. No tires are that good, and no car with an engine is that light.
I felt that UC was similar. J turns at every tap of the brakes.
I do just fine in UC. perhaps you should consider driving lessons? JK...UC turning is pretty loose so i'll agree on that. it doesn't take much to put the cars into a spin (i.e. the muscle cars...)
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

i recently bought the Camaro Concept. it's acceleration isn't too bad, but the handling is kinda.....crap :(
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

The Xbox 360 IGN team has recently gotten some new screenshots and managed to try out a very early version of the game. They mentioned these things about it:

-Driving physics similar to PGR (which is great IMO, has just enough simulation and arcade)
-Camera actions during certain events (Ex: if you smash into a wall, the camera will jerk around vigorously)
-Great graphics along with smooth gameplay
-No focus on storyline or open-world gameplay
-Great diversity of courses will probably be the case as the team tried a track called "London" and "Brands Hatch"

They mentioned other things in the full article, including six of the vehicles, viewable here: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/959/959082p1.html
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

I am buying Shift.

Currently, There are no good racing titles like this for the PC and since Shift wasnt made by black box, I may purchase it. I love PGR and Forza but they are not on the PC and I dont want to play my 360 at all. This is a match made in heaven.
korge
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

NFS Shift looks promising. But I'd like a full sim better. Arcades are just excuses when they can't make it right.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

Nitrodemon McLaren wrote:I'm expecting a decent game... SHIFT looks like a ProStreet 2 which I don't think I'll like but if they do it right, it might turn good.
I thinkit is a prostreet 2 becuse in some pics i saw a grip runners car. i think theres a pic of it in the shift screenshots section here on the site
Instagram @SupraHKS
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

You could consider it a ProStreet 2. It's a track based game with a storyline to it. Definitely sounds like ProStreet 2.

EDIT
Check this out.

The attention to detail really astounds me. Bojan, if you read this, could you confirm if you saw the effects mentioned in that article? Because if those make it into the final version and are available without a high end system, that would be awesome.

I mean, the camera moving back slightly at high speeds while your hands on the wheel visibly tighten? And hearing your heart pounding while your vision is blurry after a crash? Sounds like an amazing attention to detail that can only add to gameplay (assuming the gameplay's good of course).

Return to “SHIFT”