Videocards.. which to buy and whatnot.. simply videocards!

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

I have 2 PCI-E x16 slots but i dont want to get SLI because i need a new Power Supply and new fans and stuff....
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:damn i wish my memory was 15 bucks...... i have 2gb of memory not installed to my PC because my dad ordered the wrong ones......well now i have to wait another week for the right memory.... oh well......

ok got a problem,
I have a non-custom case and i dont have enought space to put in a X850 XT Platinum
or a 6800 ultra because of the slot thingy.... so what is a good card to get but i dont want the 7800 because its over-rated, so which one is good for the bang of bucks ATI or Nvidia?
What do you mean with a non custom case? If you have PCI-E, every card will fit..
NyJonesy26
Ricer
Ricer

Post by NyJonesy26 »

Pabl0z wrote:NyJonesy26 sounds like an amish shopping for hi-tech stuff. Doesn't have a clue what to buy and for what price :D.
Have you been to the Staples in Queensbury? They actually have ram, video cards, sound cards and any other pc component you could think about buying (except for PCIe video cards and surround sound speakers).
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

PSZeTa wrote:What do you mean with a non custom case? If you have PCI-E, every card will fit..
I mean it's just a normal Premade PC.... I have 2 PCI-e slots, both are used...ok i will illustrate what i mean becaues i dont what its called......

^^ that wouldnt fit in its slot because of the metal piece thingy....

So im lookin for a good card that will last around 2 years that will play the current games great...
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Most people usually obsess over having the latest stuff. I dont. You can have a cheap $100 video card and play FEAR just fine. Ofcourse graphics arent that great, but you know, most people will say happily "Graphics aren't everything." :roll: --> :lol:
korge
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:
PSZeTa wrote:What do you mean with a non custom case? If you have PCI-E, every card will fit..
I mean it's just a normal Premade PC.... I have 2 PCI-e slots, both are used...ok i will illustrate what i mean becaues i dont what its called......

^^ that wouldnt fit in its slot because of the metal piece thingy....

So im lookin for a good card that will last around 2 years that will play the current games great...
Why wouldn't it fit then? The ''metal'' piece thingy goes into another slot right?
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

the way my Mobo is set up, i wouldnt be able to fit one of those 2 slot hogging gfx cards because i couldnt put it in the PC
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Because the videocard goes in the first slot and the metal piece is placed above it?

Sorry that I'm asking these questions.. :lol:
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

PSZeTa wrote:Because the videocard goes in the first slot and the metal piece is placed above it?

Sorry that I'm asking these questions.. :lol:
yea thats what i mean, and the 7800gt has just one of those metal thingys but im not spending $600 for something that isnt the best, when i can spend 200 for something just as good.... so which is better ATI or Nvidia?
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Err.. You do know that the ATi card on the picture will be turned around when you install it? So it will fit.. : |

7800GTX isn't the best? It's currently the fastest card on the market.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

PSZeTa wrote:Err.. You do know that the ATi card on the picture will be turned around when you install it? So it will fit.. : |

7800GTX isn't the best? It's currently the fastest card on the market.
That card will fit but i will be blocking one of my ports, the Soundcard Port which i need since its an PCI-E card....

I dont really want the 7800GTX because its over priced right now...
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Arg. -_-

Anyways, sure, overpriced. But that's how it is.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

so what is a good alternative to the 7800gtx that takes up one slot and will run current games great?
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

I would buy the 6600GT. It's pretty cheap and is a really good card.
It's the fastest card that you can get with a passive cooling system too!
Not a fan on it. So no fear of it breaking :).
lol wut
Dr-CiviC
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Dr-CiviC »

offtopic: has anywone heard of my card just wondering if i need to upgrade im asking becuz i know nothing about vidiocards yet but this one has been good for me it's a:

NVIDIA Geforce4 MX 440 with agp8x
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

it depends on what you use your computer for, really..... say for instance if you mainly play games on your console, and don't play much on games on your PC, then I see no reason why you should upgrade.... If on the other hand you are planning to play games on the PC, especially the newer titles, than an upgrade might be worth it...
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

Your card is pretty old and is pretty worthless on newer games. But i bet you can still play new games with the worst graphics. Not all of them but games that don't need that much power from your pc. But i would buy a new gfx-card if i had your card and wanted to play new games with not the worst graphics :).
lol wut
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

@Dr.: maybe a 6600gt would suit you just fine for about 2 more years and they are pretty cheap.... a good 6600gt would be around $150-170......
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

You could get it for even less.
lol wut
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:so what is a good alternative to the 7800gtx that takes up one slot and will run current games great?
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardw ... xfx7800gt/
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

"Parallelism
Shader Arithmetic Density
High Dynamic Range (HDR)
Power Efficiency "

That is all I am really interested in. I know ATI could make a more powerful card, but with these featurettes, this card is pretty awesome.
korge
bashderq
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by bashderq »

these cards are overclocked straight out of the box...at the awesome price of $399, which is already $50 below MSRP....
man this deal is even sweeter! :twisted:
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

I have a GeForce4 MX 4000 graphics card and I dont have the money to spend on a new one so i figured out how to overclock and I wanted to know what was a safe setting to put it at.
baadmw
Drift King
Drift King

Post by baadmw »

i need opengl for my windows xp professional... gfx ati rage 128 gl agp...
i have searched and searched but i cant find anything... please help

Return to “The Hardware & Software”