My nissan 240SX

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
l_racer
Ricer
Ricer

Post by l_racer »

if your car has the KA24DE truck engine you could turbocharge it for not a lot of money using a T3/T4 hybrid turbo from a japanese s13 to nearly reach the 300 hp mark...

In the sport compact car magazine, there a guy who turbocharged his 240 with a Holset HX35W turbo from a Cummins 5.9 Diesel truck engine(from a Dodge Ram) and he got 266 horses with that setup. He only used junkyard parts so he only had to pay 1700$ (US) for all that (turbo, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, BOV...). For more details, check out http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com

Remember that wathever you do, if you bolt on a turbo, upgrade the fuel system, and don't turn up the boost past 10 psi on stock internals or you may blow the engine...
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

I dont want to contradict you here, but there are certain mis-informed statements in there. :)

The JDM S13s never used a T3/T4 turbo, the earlier RPS13s used the T25, much like the UKDM RS13s. The later spec SR20s in the S13s used the T28, again like the UKDM S14/S14As.

10PSI is only 0.6 bar. The stock bottom end, even on the KA24DE, can handle above that. The KA24DE is from the Nissan terrano, and as such is a very strong, very torquey engine.

Definitely agree on upgrading the fuel system though. It seems to be the one place most car modifiers overlook, particularly the injectors.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

l_racer wrote:Remember that wathever you do, if you bolt on a turbo, upgrade the fuel system, and don't turn up the boost past 10 psi on stock internals or you may blow the engine...
Who told you that? 0.6Bar is very little in the terms to turbo boost, and I'm sure the engine runs on that kind of boost standardly. My Audi's engine runs at just under a bar standard.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
StreekG
Drift King
Drift King

Post by StreekG »

i've heard about a twin turbo 180SX that had one smaller turbo with a big one, one kicks in at lower RPM range and the bigger one to boost up at the higher RPMs, dunno how true this is though, i was told about this a couple of years ago and was still yet to see pics, but it sounds like it could work.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

StreekG wrote:i've heard about a twin turbo 180SX that had one smaller turbo with a big one, one kicks in at lower RPM range and the bigger one to boost up at the higher RPMs, dunno how true this is though, i was told about this a couple of years ago and was still yet to see pics, but it sounds like it could work.
That's basically how any twin-turbo set-up works, at least on a factory car anyway.
StreekG
Drift King
Drift King

Post by StreekG »

boganbusman wrote:
StreekG wrote:i've heard about a twin turbo 180SX that had one smaller turbo with a big one, one kicks in at lower RPM range and the bigger one to boost up at the higher RPMs, dunno how true this is though, i was told about this a couple of years ago and was still yet to see pics, but it sounds like it could work.
That's basically how any twin-turbo set-up works, at least on a factory car anyway.
Oh really, yeah as you can see i don't have much knowledge on twin turbo setups, are you saying that on factory twin turbo cars have 2 different turbos, or 2 of the same but setup for different RPM ranges? (if possible on tt cars)
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Steel - The KA24DE doesnt run on any boost as standard mate, its an N/A. :wink:

As for the turbos, its not necessarily how all twin turbo set-ups work (not trying to infer that you didnt mean that Bogan, just making it clearer), but it is how sequential twin turbo set-ups work, such as those in the JZA-80. :D
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*

Return to “The Cars”