Bugs & Glitches in Need for Speed: SHIFT

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Bugs & Glitches in Need for Speed: SHIFT

Post by zedex »

try playing that Carrera GT on Spa invitational race... it is weird though, sometimes it isn't as severe while other times, you just can't control it
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Found out myself why the game crashes when in race, it's all about the physx, you need to uninstall the current version you have, and install the one on the game's dvd. Did some Physx updates the other day and i found out that the game didn't work anymore, so i reinstalled it and it worked.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

zedex wrote:try playing that Carrera GT on Spa invitational race... it is weird though, sometimes it isn't as severe while other times, you just can't control it
I tried that race a few times and everything was normal. So far I hadn't experienced any of those "jumping cars", and I'm already on Tier 3. The only car that seemed to be more jumpy was the Camaro SS, but nothing abnormal, really.

I found a new bug: DRIFT! This mode is a complete bug, it sucks so much. I can't control the car no matter what, it's just impossible. I'm being serious when I say that Carbon's drift is better... at least you could easily score points. #-o
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Avoid them then, you are not obliged to complete drift events.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

That's true, and I'm glad that's the case. Problem is, I want to earn every star each Tier has, and to do that, I'll have to win some drift races.

It's a problem I have lol. Until I complete everything a game has to offer, I can't stop playing it. And SHIFT has all those badges and stars, and well, I want to get them all.
IROC
Stock
Stock

Post by IROC »

This is what I have come across on the pS3 version. Bizarre bouncing and erratic steering. For instance the Veyron Challenge and the Carrera GT Challenge. They hita little bump in a corner and almost like they get stuck in a physics loop. They bounce like they're on hydraulics and keep bouncing until you slow down (usually a sand trap or barrier. Unplayable to the extreme!!! :x

Take a look for yourself, especially around 0.39 - 0.43 seconds and around 0.54 - to the end. TERRIBLE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAcVFH3p-VU
Lucky 13
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Lucky 13 »

Lucky me. I'm getting it on PS3 not PC so hopefully I shouldn't have any of this.

Well, except the last one, but I can live with one or two.
*farts*
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

Hydro_PT wrote:That's true, and I'm glad that's the case. Problem is, I want to earn every star each Tier has, and to do that, I'll have to win some drift races.

It's a problem I have lol. Until I complete everything a game has to offer, I can't stop playing it. And SHIFT has all those badges and stars, and well, I want to get them all.
winning drift races are quite easy... just go slow, and slide in front of clipping points... instant 100 points + little bonus... do that on every point on track and you're the winner...

the 4 seconds drift on the other hand >.< i get them from lucky drifts... rarely when i really wanted to...

i don't really mind drift THAT much... because the AI seems to be unable to drift neither... so they're easy-win, easy-cash events for me =)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

As much of a question as a bug and/or glitch, but is there any way of getting larger viynl sizes on PC? I've spotted them on some cars in the showroom, and also the preset colour schemes. Also, is it possible to change the colour of aftermarket viynls? Again, seen differently coloured ones on cars in the showroom, but every time I try and add them they're always grey.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Wow... there are bugs and glitches? >_> How lucky did I get off then? =-P

Oblivion and Fallout are screwed on my PC... but this is fine.

1080p, 8x AA, all max. 2nd screen active. Err, no slowdown, no input lag.

But... I have an i7 920, 6GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 260 Gold, Asus DX, Vista 64. The sound is incredible I have to say. About the lag and physics issues... if the game does use PhysX, then maybe the Nvidia card and PhysX drivers are well suited. The drivers are from about June. So I'm guessing ATI and Shift need to get their drivers and software working properly.

About your issue Summ, since your card doesn't do PhysX, I'm guessing the CPU might receive more load, and remember it wants a 1.66ghz core 2 or faster minimum... not exactly sure but a 4xxx processor seems to be cutting it fine and might actually struggle. The games physics seem quite complex and I know driving games use a fair bit of your CPU. As far as I remember, 5xxxs and below are just dual cores right? It might improve with better ATI support though.

That runs perfectly...

Meanwhile, Oblivion (XP 32bit SP3) and Fallout 3 (Vista 64 ... it is a game for VIsta >_>)are incredibly unstable and Fallout 3 has major frame skip and memory leak issues on this PC. The complexity of hardware setups is getting ridiculous for PCs nowdays with 3 different windows OS being widely used, 32 bit and 64 bit configurations, a ridiculous number of different CPUs, some have 4 cores, some have 2, some have 8 threads, different ways of handling RAM, PhysX is thrown in the mix too. I'd be hating life if I was in charge of optimisation =-P
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

^Yep, agreed. The current market situation isn't quite what it used to be. I blame it on microsoft. If Vista hadn't been such a fiasco, then everybody would have upgraded and XP would have been history. And come Windows 7, people would still have had trust in ms and might have been more inclined to upgrade again. Still, if they program it to work on Vista, it will 99.9% sure work on both 7 and XP. As for 32 bit computing vs 64 bit, it's not really an issue, as 64 bit processors are quite capable of computing 32 bit applications.

The real booboo is PhysX. As I mentioned in another thread, ATi has rejected cooperation with nVidia so far, which means that if a game is based on PhysX, ATi gamers will bite the can.. as has happened here with Shift. The lacking support of PhysX on the GPU means the CPU takes on the full load of calculating physics.. and yes, that is a blow. In fact, if you were running an ATi card, chances are you would have problems too, despite your i7. That being said, your problems would probably be lesser than mine, given that my CPU IS old and small. Yet, if my CPU is not up to the task, it is not because it's below specs, but rather because my it gets the whole PhysX load dumped on it. So, rather than looking at upgrading my CPU, I'm actually considering my choices with new nVidia graphics cards. I'll be waiting for the new ATi drivers before doing anything, though. If I can postpone the upgrade, so much the better.

Windows 7 is about to hit the shelves. With it, it will bring DirectX 11. The next generation of graphics card will follow shortly. There's talk of a October-November release for the new ATi series (HD5xxx) and a Q1 2010 release for nVidia counterparts. This time I will probably just shelve out the extra cash and go the nVidia way, when the new products hit the market. I will most likely upgrade my CPU in the same sweep, because it is getting old.. I'm aiming for an E8500 @ 3.16 GHz. Later on, when prices of the i7 range start dropping, I'll be upgrading to those.. but that's not going to be in 2010, I think.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

PhysX would be the biggest issue ATI cards are having with this game. I think GPUs have something like hundreds of cores as there's so much computation involved with graphical data. They can be much quicker than CPUs with encoding video too. So basically the CPU has a much harder time... the i7s will probably struggle even. It's 8 threads vs. hundreds.

There were two things that made me go Nvidia... Lower temperatures, and physX XD

With the directX 11 thing... is that coming to Vista too? I sorta just got it XD... and I like the stable release ATM. V64 is actually the best OS I've used. The quickest to start and browse and use day to day, and the most stable by far. XP has had so many updates, I barely use it, and still it's crashed three times as much as Vista (which crashed because I didn't reset after TV driver install and I tried to watch TV)... that's 3 times for XP =-P
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

EDIT: DX11 will be available for Vista as well as Win7, though you will need a DX11 compatible graphics card. Here's an excellent article of the first card on the market that will be DX11 compatible. It looks like it will be a BEAST.. will definitely wait and see what nVidia come up with to counter it, but I like the sound of the specs.. twice as many transistors and shaders as the HD4870 for just about the same energy requirements. Beautiful.
http://guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-review-test/1

64 bit OS are by FAR faster, because of the architecture and how it allows to use practically any amount of ram. 32 bit OS'es only index 3 gigs. The only problem with 64 bit computing is drivers, but those are starting to be widespread enough on Vista that it is starting to be a serious alternative to the traditional 32 bit OS's. I'm running Win7 x64 RC1 and it starts up faster than both XP and Vista. So far, it has run more smoothly and more stable than either of them as well. Definitely the way to go for me. Definitely recommendable.
Skroting
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Skroting »

Here are some bugs I have experienced.

In the duel race with the Viper and another car, you can't use the Viper because it won't get off the line. Same applies to the duel between Corvette Z06 and a Porche and a race with only Corvettes.

Mouse support was just added, but you can't use the mouse to choose secondary color when painting a car with Pearl/Flip color.

When racing for hotlaps, the timer will start as you get control of your car, as opposed to when you cross the start/finish line.

Custom gear ratios might not apply until you restart the race. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSn45WouSjw
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Hot laps one I've not noticed. My timer activates when I cross the start line.
vZv
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by vZv »

People, is this a bug that you can't buy same (second bmw m3 e36) car twise ?? Or it's how it was supposed to be ?
DMNBT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by DMNBT »

@vZv: For what I've seen in the savefile, it's by design that you can't buy the same car twice.
vZv
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by vZv »

DMNBT wrote:@vZv: For what I've seen in the savefile, it's by design that you can't buy the same car twice.
It's... err... a little dumb #-o ... Anyway thank's for help :)
IHATENVIDIA
Stock
Stock

Post by IHATENVIDIA »

i hope ATi pays Valve so that The half-life games and l4d games only work on ATI cards as Payback to nvidia since nvdia payd off EA to use Physx which is only availible for nvidia so that they could sell more( becasue everybody knows that Nvidia Lost the duel on the 295 gtx and 4870 X2).I HOPE NVIDIA BURN IN HELL. btw my Ati Radeo hd 3200 managed unreal tournament 3 on medium and 1024x768 which has many times better grapichs. it barely manages SHIFT on ultra low and 640x480. btw there is an minor soloution for the lag problem and thats to overwrite the nvidia physx folder with older ageia phsyx files. before i had around 17-25 fps now i have like 25-35 which is an big improvement but it makes the game crash a lot more often(the crashes are better than the game lagging like hell). but if you plan to do this sometime be caution that its rather hard to find what files that improve fps and what files which is necesary for running the game at all. but well probably see a lot more of these kinda things like making games only work for that Grapichs card becasue nvidia started it and i bet that ati is pissed about this so wer probably gonna see some Counter-attack.
Skroting
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Skroting »

steelsnake00 wrote:Hot laps one I've not noticed. My timer activates when I cross the start line.
I made a video. Maybe it doesn't apply to all Hotlap races, I haven't bothered to check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvqSxeIdYcU
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Who said Nvidia paid anyone off? Aren't there laws against that? lol. I'm sure SMS made the decision to go with PhysX for optimisation reasons alone, and it's not a dumb desicion to make. It's a new technology that seemed to be quite an effective one, and it's games like this that are making it worthwhile rather than a gimmick. I have no idea why ATI didn't choose to adopt PhysX lol, since they had the opportunity to cooperate with Nvidia. The CPU requirements for Shift (with Nvidia cards) are pretty light, as are the RAM requirements. I'm guessing the CPU is only handling the AI, and on my PC it doesn't even do sound, so the i7 is pretty bored.

Not sure what alternatives there are, might be costly, but I think this can be done on an Nvidia system, but try using a lowly 8 series Nvidia card and using that solely as a PhysX card is an option... is you have another PCI-E port that is.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

or get one of these guys: http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/23/luci ... ing-peace/

and get both ATI and nVidia cards =)
costly however...
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

Ok so i really didnt get to many bugs from from shift. I did update to the new patch tho. My system (which i just sold) that i played shift on was a quad core 8200, 260gts, 8g ddr2, 750g hdd, 780i sli, windows 7 RC. I know it was a over kill for the game but i did play everything max, never had a graphics problem. BUT..i had it fall back on window mode once or twice. i had it frezz on the safety splash screen once had to restart computer to work again.. The steering was awful i did some tweaking to it in the menus but it still kinda awful still lol. Im using a PS3 Dull Shock 3 controller (yes it works on windows 7 64bit and on the games) I never got the bumping problem. i did have some times where i get nudged and i fly and when i try to do it the same why they did it to me it has no effect or ppl just fly all over the screen from getting rolled or i love how i can just go under cars alot.

I did have a problem with my m3 going nuts and just sliding everywhere then the next race it was fine.
With drift i finally got the hang of it kinda.. i use a rx7 with the works (lol) with alot of grip and it still slides everywhere...before i even get into a corner.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

IHATENVIDIA wrote:rant
Why in hells name did you buy an ATI card in the full knowledge they're a dying breed and often not properly supported. The only reason you hate nVidia is because you didn't but the right GPU in the first place.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

IHATENVIDIA wrote:...becasue everybody knows that Nvidia Lost the duel on the 295 gtx and 4870 X2...
How did exactly did they 'lose' the duel with the 4870x2? The 295 gtx outright TRASHES the x2 in just about any game there is! Just look at any tests/charts on guru3d, tomshardware etc. Performance wise, ATi is way behind.
IHATENVIDIA wrote:but well probably see a lot more of these kinda things like making games only work for that Grapichs card becasue nvidia started it and i bet that ati is pissed about this so wer probably gonna see some Counter-attack.
I REALLY hope we won't! How much would it suck to only be able to play one kind of games with a certain brand of graphics card and the other kind with the other?

In line with this, nVidia claims that they offered every developer access to PhysX and proposed ATi cooperation on the matter. ATi officially denies that such an offer was ever made.
steelsnake00 wrote:Why in hells name did you buy an ATI card in the full knowledge they're a dying breed and often not properly supported. The only reason you hate nVidia is because you didn't but the right GPU in the first place.
Dying breed?! Since when? Last I checked, ATi was still going strong and was the single greatest antagonist nVidia had. You had better hope that ATi don't go bust, or nVidia will be the only player on the market. With no competition, they would have no incentive to really better themselves, and they could price their products as they best saw fit, instead of having to consider market prices. Competition is essential for evolution.

Return to “SHIFT”