WTF!!!!!Ok has this ever happend to you?

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

WTF!!!!!Ok has this ever happend to you?

Post by GINIX_2007 »

:shock: Its been a while since I last cleaned my PC. So I go in and I take of the Heatsink only to find out that my processor is missing!!!!! :shock:
BTW its a P4.Now remember I just finished using my PC when this happend.
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

LOL!!!!
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

The Processor was actually glued tight on to the heatsink!!! :shock: So tight that I had to use a flat head screwdriver to pry it off :shock: I have never seen this in my life :shock: !!!
Now my question is simple. HOW THE F :shock: :shock: K did that happend??
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

So what computer are you using, cause I didn't think it's even possible for a computer to work without a processor.

EDIT: Well now your going to have to go out and buy that glue to put the processor back in, it doesn't need it but it's there for some reason. I can't remember what the glue is for but it's supposed to be there.
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

NOO!! I was cleaning it the PC was off. I took off the heatsink and the processor was stuck to it!!! So it looked like there was no processor.
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

Yea but the CPU is not suppose to come out like that is it!! Im a noob when it comes to intel processors.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

Yeah, the processor is supposed to be glued to the heatsink, it's not really glue, it's a substance to keep your processor running cool so if you want low temperatures you'll need to scrape off the old stuff and get some new stuff.

Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 5583463530

New egg also has some:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... x=0&Go.y=0
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

I know about that stuff. The point i am trying to make is that the processor came straight out!!! Normaly you take off the heatsink and then you take out the processor.
The Gravedigger
Professional
Professional

Post by The Gravedigger »

Obviously the CPU wasn't placed onto the CPU socket securely.... it's a no wonder it hasn't been stuffing up on you
Or you just ripped the heatsink out a bit too quick
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

It was! This has never happend before! The strange thing is the the little latch on the mother board that secures the CPU was down so how did it come out?
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

weedman173 wrote:Yeah, the processor is supposed to be glued to the heatsink, it's not really glue, it's a substance to keep your processor running cool so if you want low temperatures you'll need to scrape off the old stuff and get some new stuff.
It isn't supposed to be glued to the processor. The processor has to be secured to the motherboard, and if it's glued, that'd mean you'd possibly kill your processor since you're forcing it to go off the motherboard. And It's not for low temperatures, it's meant to conduct heat BETTER.
The Gravedigger wrote:Obviously the CPU wasn't placed onto the CPU socket securely.... it's a no wonder it hasn't been stuffing up on you
Or you just ripped the heatsink out a bit too quick
That's highly unlikely to happen, a incorrectly placed CPU won't boot.
GINIX_2007 wrote:It was! This has never happend before! The strange thing is the the little latch on the mother board that secures the CPU was down so how did it come out?
Ginix, what kind of junk was between it? Thermal compound or a thermal pad? And did you mount it yourself?

When a compound is factory applied ( And they never use a silver compound ), it's possible that there is too much of it and the quality is just BAD. They have the tendency to dry out and literally glue the processor to the heatsink. ALWAYS twist the heatsink before you take it off the motherboard.
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: WTF!!!!!Ok has this ever happend to you?

Post by Pabl0z »

GINIX_2007 wrote::shock: Its been a while since I last cleaned my PC. So I go in and I take of the Heatsink only to find out that my processor is missing!!!!! :shock:
HAHAHAHAH you just made my day :lol: :lol: :lol:
lol wut
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

PSZeTa wrote:When a compound is factory applied ( And they never use a silver compound ), it's possible that there is too much of it and the quality is just BAD. They have the tendency to dry out and literally glue the processor to the heatsink. ALWAYS twist the heatsink before you take it off the motherboard.
That's right. If the compround was too dense, and you pulled the sink out, gently and pulling right perpendicular to the board, it could have stay sticked. It works like when you place an ice cube on another and you try to lift the top one. The melted water inbetween will stick them togheter and they will rise all in one. (Untill it gets off center and it will fall. (Only works if the cubes are really flat in the faces. (If not they lower one will just be raised a couple of mm and then fall.)))
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

PSZeTa wrote: And It's not for low temperatures, it's meant to conduct heat BETTER.
Yeah, it conducts the heat from the processor to the heatsink and the heat sink disspates the heat in turn helping cool off the processor.
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

Oh well all is cool now. As I said I have never seen this before. I guess the the Thermal compound was a bit too dense. Lucky for me the CPU was not damaged.
BTW What kind of tempreature you people get from your CPU?
Professional
Professional

Post by 99k »

Funny thing yes this has happened to me just last weekend.
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

What CPU do you have 99_k?
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

GINIX_2007 wrote:Oh well all is cool now. As I said I have never seen this before. I guess the the Thermal compound was a bit too dense. Lucky for me the CPU was not damaged.
BTW What kind of tempreature you people get from your CPU?
Too many factors that decide if your temperatures are good. What core type, voltage and cooler do you have?
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

GINIX_2007 wrote:What kind of tempreature you people get from your CPU?
72°C in the summer. (AMD Athlon XP 2400+, stock AMD cooler, ambient temp ~35°C, no case side.)
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

My AMD64 X2 4200+ is between 32°C and 40°C (No overclocking, stock cooler).
These new AMD CPU's run on much lower temperatures than the older ones.
My old Athlon XP 2600+ used to be between 47°C and 51°C (No OC, "3200+" cooler)
lol wut
Professional
Professional

Post by 99k »

GINIX_2007 wrote:What CPU do you have 99_k?
I have no idea plus im using my dads right now. My dad knows what ive got ill have to ask him and find out.
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

Or you could get a program to tell you that.
SiSoft Sandra for example.
lol wut
Professional
Professional

Post by 99k »

I don't like downlaoding and installing stuff. Well i'm not in the mood rite now. I'm sure theres something somewhere on the network...
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

If you right click on My Computer and go to Properties, it should tell you what kind of processor you have.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Pabl0z wrote:My AMD64 X2 4200+ is between 32°C and 40°C (No overclocking, stock cooler).
These new AMD CPU's run on much lower temperatures than the older ones.
My old Athlon XP 2600+ used to be between 47°C and 51°C (No OC, "3200+" cooler)
Yes, AMD seems to have imroved a lot in that aspect. A friend of mine has a 3000+ AMD Athlon 64 that used to run at ~36°C, stock cooler (Now he got a half a kilo copper cooler, a real waste of money if you ask me).

Return to “The Hardware & Software”