Post your day

2006 Need for Speed Carbon
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post your day

Post by EcksOa »

I thought I'd try to start a thread devoted to experiences that people have playing NFS, online or offline. Odd or new things you discovered, maybe getting a top ten ranked time, personal best, unlocking a special car... anything that seems worth mentioning about your day playing Need For Speed.
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

Okay, I had the oddest race earlier tonight. Sprint race, online, I forget the course, I could barely race because I was racing against a damn helicopter. That's right, a blue and white chopper. I was winning the race, I thought maybe the copter wasn't going to move. Then suddenly, it materializes ahead of me towards the end of the race. I start to catch up, it seems stuck on some corner, but flies off the the finish line.

The helicopter doesn't register in the game as an actual vehicle. When I clicked on the guy's name before the race, it merely said something like "default string". All the levels on it were pretty low too. Would be cute if that could be unlocked. But seeing how the game defines that vehicle, looks more like a hack.

The guy's name starts with "Jet". Jetflyer... something like that.

While playing Carbon online I was able to go from OXP level 28 to 31. Didn't quite pay attention to what I unlocked at level 29. I think it was one of the Volks wheels. At level 31, I unlocked Velocity Exhaust.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Hmm, interesting idea, not sure if it will fly but I'll throw in my two bits.

Today: No carbon and it's just gone midnight. So I guess I mean yesterday. The day before: ran a BUNCH of offline quick races in the interests of compiling a big list of all the quick races, tracks and race types involved, track lengths and so forth. This data is being used to build the new site feature that Bojan mentioned in another thread.

Since this was a data gathering exercise, the runs were pretty poor - the whole objective was to get to the end of the race so I could take down the data that appears there. I did set one personal best time, however.

Went to sleep and dreamt I was always crashing into things.
Matthew
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Matthew »

Yesterday I was tuning my Corvette Z06 and testing it on the Troy Checkpoint race. At some point I must have knocked it from unranked over to ranked without noticing, because as I finished the run, I received a message telling me that I’d posted a top three time. When I checked the leader boards, I found that I had posted the second best overall time on the track.

This then prompted me to compare my other Checkpoint times. To my surprise, I had already run Gray Street and The Neon Mile in times that were closely comparable to the top three times for each race, presumably during career mode, prompting me to see if I could post a top three time on both tracks. To my surprise, I not only cracked the top three, but I took the top spot on both runs, which also had the by product of displacing a top three sweep by the Audi LeMans Quattro on both tracks.

I would assume that the times set at Grey Street and The Neon Mile are indicative of being able to unleash more of the Corvette’s power since my time at Troy is five seconds slower than the lead Audi, although I do plan on trying to close that gap tonight after I’ve fine tuned my Corvette further.

The good thing about the times that I’ve posted is that they weren’t perfect runs, and as a result, I’m certain that they could be beaten should anyone wish to attempt it.

Matt

Second Best Time At Troy

Number One Time At Gray Street

Image Image

Number One Time At The Neon Mile

Image Image
The King of Kings!
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

Thought I'd post a picture I found of someone that claims to have hacked Carbon to allow usage of the helicopter.

Tried to work on my last set of Challenges, the bronze level requiring 25 disabled police vehicles, then escaping the heat level 6 pursuit. Spent two hours, got the 25 disabled vehicles, but just couldn't ever pull off a successful evasion.
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

Recent unlocks:

OXP Level 31 - Velocity Exhaust Tips

OXP Level 32 - Tenzo RS 5 Wheels

OXP Level 33 - 5Zigen FNO1R Wheels

I don't recall unlocking a car through OXP alone since the Plymouth Roadrunner, which was around OXP level 6.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

well, I restarted Carbon today and started the second territory area using a tuned Skyline. The game is always fun the second time around.
korge
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

EcksOa: Added to Carbon unlocks topic: http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic ... 152#263152 - thx :)
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

Tested out the Beta Leaderboard feature on this site. Very nice work on building that.

As for my day, I went back to using my Lan Evo, after ignoring it in favor of the BMW for a few days. The Lan Evo needed to be tuned a bit differently, especially since I tend to prefer downhill sprints. Tried playing wtih different braking approaches and overall found that I had dialed in way too much oversteer and rear brake bias. I pretty much had both those set to max. Maybe it was just the brake settings, but on some downhill courses, when I'd try to feint, not great feinting technique mind you.. the rear did swing out a bit wildly.

I find a more neutral balanced Evo, just a bit of oversteer dialed in, with a bit of rear brake bias works for the style I'm using now. Still think I'm losing speed on the tight corners and not keeping a tight enough line as far as using out-in-out, and trying to get as close to the apex as possible. I find the way I'm going I sometimes don't break enough, or feint right, and end up having a very wide line with just a tad too much understeer.

Might just see what slight understeer will do. Having read other threads on the subject, it might be helpful.
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Where to start... :S

Will talk about last 2 days, since I cant really separate them! :P

Well, I continue to learn the Game. Did a few Race Times that made me a little proud, but also grant me an even biger "Cheater Appeal" then before, and now I am "The Cheater" and can even make people leave rooms and stuff... What to say? People just cant accept what is possible to do by others who take this game more seriously (practise more).
And I have tried. At least to those that have stick around, by explaining that I dont play "just for fun" and even giving some hints, but doesnt work much! :S Unfortunately, most of the People that plays High Level NFS doesnt go Ranked Online, and so they only see one or another occasionally, and so it's easy to think "he must be a cheater".

Among these times are those like (Ranked Online): 2m 26s in Savannah; 1m 51s in Silk; 2m 0s in Condo Row; 1m 04.1s in Copper Ridge; 2m 04s in Chinatown Tram or 1m 31.4s in York Road, among others. The funny part is that none of these times are limit, even in Online Ranked! All can be improved! In Chinatown Tram 2m 03s is more then possible Online, for instance.

After that, I also decided to start toying with Setups, finally! :P Taking the work done by GT3, took it a little further to make an Elise and a MX-3. And what did I got? :P You got it! Cheater! :D
When all the RX-7 and Cayman guys started to take it on every kind of track, what could we expect? But then again, I tried to tell them that Elise was really the best, hell, this car can probably beat 70% of Tier 3 cars! If Elise could take Race parts, it would dominate, I guess.
But the real fun is with MX-3! I was getting tired of being draged to Tier 1 Races with guys using 240sx, a car I dont have! So, I decided to see what I could do. MX-3 can beat 240sx on all Races except Canyon Duels, and even on this last one the guys driving 240sx have to be very good. But who could make them believe? I mean, they thought that car was unbeatable! One of them told me this, after calling me cheater, of course! :S

Finally, something that can actually be useful! :P I found out that, at least in my system, having MSN Connected and Playing Carbon increases the number of crashes enormously! In fact, since I started playing with MSN Off, Carbon only crashed me once! ;) I guess that there is maybe a problem between Carbon Messenger and MSN, but this is just a guess.

Projects for the Future... Build a Corvette to eat all Audis on all kinds of tracks! :P

Cya all! And sorry for the statement, but its really getting on my nerves! :S I guess it will end with me playing mostly Unraked with my Clan Mates and some Friends, without Collision and NOS, the way it should be! :P
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

I'm probably wrong with this perception, but I never necessarily found fast = cheater. The only time I ever really questioned whether some people did was when they'd wall rape the entire way and still somehow manage to pull off some fast times. Then again, it could very well just be how certain cars are. Lousy turning ability, but insane acceleration and top speed.

I was never one to believe in the abilities of the RX-7 in this game. I figured there had to be stronger tier 2 cars, in fact, I found that the 240 SX was beating out RX-7s in many online races. Figures that the Lotus should be faster than an RX-7 though.

Too bad you don't have the 240 SX. It would be interesting to see what times you could do with that car and compare them to the MX3 you've been using. Makes me wonder if a MX3 surpasses the abilities of the 240, or it's more a matter of your skill making up a huge difference once you found a car that didn't suffer such a massive difference in potential compared to the 240.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Very interesting info about the Mazda - I think I'm gonna spend a little time with it and see what can be achieved. Gotta sympathize with you about the cheater thing - it happens all the time here too. I find the best response is not response at all - sometimes there really is nothing you can say that will convince them you're playing legitimately.
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

Worked on my Eternity Pass time to see if I could get anywhere near where GT and Bojan are. I had to use the Audi to get a 1:34.xxx though.

Anyhow, since I was recording a shadow, it goes online for ranking purposes. Ended up way too high on the leaderboard, my time marked as a 0:00.000, third all time. My actual time ranking should be well, well below that. Shouldn't even be in the top fifty.

Here's a screen cap from how it was recorded on EA's board.

And here is the URL for the stats board on this site. That's the actual time I got.:

http://www.nfsunlimited.net/carbon/lead ... /entry/260
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Spent a good deal of time tuning all the Tier 1 cars to test VG_Speed's info that the Mazda3 could be made as quick as the 240SX. Knowing that he doesn't actually have the 240, I wondered if this was just the impression he got because he was able to beat 240 users online. In fact, I found that the 240 really is well faster than the Mazda3, and is definitely the fastest Tier 1 car. According to my testing, the next fastest was in fact the Camaro SS, with the Mazda3 in the middle of the pack.
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Hi!

Could you please post some times you achieved?

Only Circuits or Sprints, please. I can tell you that in Copper Ridge WITHOUT NOS (sorry caps, but it's important) I did 1m 14.5s with MX-3, in the best of 6 attempts (I was pleased with the result, so didnt do more).

I am guessing that on high speed tracks, maybe MX-3 cant do it, even with NOS. But... The best is really to have references! ;)

In last 2 days didnt had time to play Carbon! ;( Played 20m today, before coming to work, Offline (time to start reall testing) with Audi in Savannah and did 1m 13.1s without NOS, which I think is alreayd quite good! :) 1m 12s is certainly possible. So my 1m 11.6s Online with NOS is certainly easy to beat if you get it right, although driving with NOS sometimes makes us loose time, and not gain, because is really hard to balance the breaks before the corners, specially if you are going at a higher speed.

Cya!
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

Had a day to play until I got sick of the game. Tried to time attack sprints (canyon courses). Wasn't doing so great, so decided to go online and at least try to get some OXP while running sloppy times.

Some races, wasn't doing so well, bunch of races I was in position to win, I'd stop and let everyone else take all the points. Was in one of those moods, I guess. Seriously tried to get a couple Online Challenges done to get another online reward card done. Got seriously smashed into the walls on canyon sprints. Both people, I could repeatedly catch up, try to brake, take the inside line to overtake. But they had enough NOS to accelerate, catch up, swerve and drive me into the wall. Still need to work a lot on passing techniques.

I complimented one guy on his demolition derby technique. He takes me to a canyon duel to prove how much better he was than me. I used a 240SX, he used a Lotus Elise, I think. Maybe a Lambourghini? His car did have the edge in top speed. However, he got too antsy to overtake, he ends up flying through a guardrail and losing ten seconds into the first run of the duel. If he'd been patient, he could have easily won. Just keep up during the first corners, then overtake on the first long straight.

Took a break, and it didn't take but a couple second place finishes to go from OXP 34 to 35, I must have been really close. Went up two more levels to OXP 37.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 93360 »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Gotta sympathize with you about the cheater thing - it happens all the time here too. I find the best response is not response at all - sometimes there really is nothing you can say that will convince them you're playing legitimately.
Yep, get that heaps too. at the beginning i used to explain why i was able to go faster than the complaining n00b which usually ended with the n00b having a cry and then leaving the game room or sumfin like that. but then i began to "coach" a few people who were willing to listen and take my advice etc and they eventaully were able to race with me (doing sumfin like 90-95% my times etc) instead of just falling behind on the first corner. i think i ended up teaching about 5-8 people all up. as for when i cant be bothered i just have a laugh when random sore losers have a whinge, just give them a "turn off the n00b h4x" and ignore them gg.
GT3x24x7 wrote:In fact, I found that the 240 really is well faster than the Mazda3, and is definitely the fastest Tier 1 car.
i think that the 240sx is quite the surprise packet because i remember racing against "<a href="http://www.ea.com/nfs/carbon/us/profile ... rtal281</a>" in canyon races where we both used 240sx and at the start his would just pull out in front and away from me on a straight roadway. im yet to figure out what his performance settings are (more likely cant be bothered) but daym that was the fastest 240sx id ever encountered. the guy was fairly good and even though i could just manage to keep up with him, i wasnt able to ever get near enough to overtake him in my bonus 240sx car because i just didnt have his acceleration and top speed to match. i seriously think that 240sx of his would be faster than any tier2 car let alone tier 1 cars so if any1 is interested in tuning the fastest possible car in tier1 and tier2, the nissan 240sx is it.

anyways about my day... well having noticed the carbon leaderboards on the site (good work guys, love it =D) i spent today trying to set the fastest times for all of the canyon sprint races. since i hadn't played carbon for the past 2 weeks (have been <a href="http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 3">working on uni's formula sae race car</a>) i found it rather unusually difficult to set any proper times to begin with but about half an hour of playing brought back those skills. at present stage im only one short of having them all (i dont own lookout point yet =P) but have also managed to get some of the city sprint races before my hands got tired of nfs microing so yeah... thats 16 tracks all up so far... as opposed to GT's 43 loler, will take a while ahaha. as for the owners of the drift tracks, you dont have to worry about me taking those as im not going to bother with them (im anti drift-physics and refuse to play it =P).

anyway would like to point out that all the top times i have set on the leaderboards are all personal best times as until now i simply could not be bothered to try and find out how fast i could go (coz of the crappy ea shadow-dld system with morons loading their 00:00.00 times) so yeah this leaderboard thingo has brought life back into carbon imo.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

From my tests, the 240 is faster than the bottom four Tier 2 cars (Monaro, Golf, Clio, Eclipse) and well ahead of all Tier 1 cars on most tracks. Simply put, if you haven't got a 240SX, you're gonna lose a Tier 1 race against anyone who can drive.

Speaking of tests, that's pretty much all I did yesterday - tuned all cars and tested them on Stonewall Tunnel. You can see the results on the ST Leaderboard if you're interested. All the cars in my game are included, tuned where possible and all times are pretty much the top end of what the car is capable of (with me driving). Some interesting results there, especially when looking for the 'second best' cars in each tier, and of course, the best cars for Stonewall and other speed-centric tracks.

Today was spent building a little rep online; not much competition to be found but I did run unranked against a couple guys for a while who gave me a run for my money. Added only four XP levels, but with almost 600 pts per level up in the 50's it takes quite a few races. Later I noticed |XXxxXxXxXxXEvoXxXXxX| (whatever..) had upped some very nice speedtrap times so I began working on those. I retook a few but while I was battling with Mason Fountain (grr, only 4kmh off his time), seems he's upped some new runs and beat me again. Ah well, back to the ol' drawing board =P

EDIT: Heh, just decided to take a look at one of xXxXXXxEvoxXXXXXasxdasd's speedtrap shadows - I knew something was amiss when he's posted a 1900+ speed at Stonewall. It's not exactly cheating, I'd say, but the guy gets high times by backing WAY up before each speedtrap and taking multiple runs at it until he manages to luck his way through the turns and get a good pass. Noob.

So the question now is, do we allow these runs? Strictly speaking, the game allows you to do it I guess. What do you lot think?

EDIT2: Just beat his speed at Stonewall by 50 kmh using his own methods. Won't be upping the shadow.
Matthew
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Matthew »

GT3x24x7 wrote:From my tests, the 240 is faster than the bottom four Tier 2 cars (Monaro, Golf, Clio, Eclipse) and well ahead of all Tier 1 cars on most tracks. Simply put, if you haven't got a 240SX, you're gonna lose a Tier 1 race against anyone who can drive.
Agreed, I’ve had a number of Tier 1 and Tier 2 experiences against the 240SX whilst using my career Camaro with full performance tuning, and I’ve only won a handful of times, and each of those was either against the Collectors Edition bonus version, or in one particular case, one that appeared to make several mistakes, mistakes that allowed me to build a large enough lead so that I could hold onto first right up to the chequered flag. In that one case, had the errors not being made, this person would have almost certainly wiped the floor with my Camaro like it was a fully tuned Corvette wiping the floor with the LeMans Quattro at Stonewall Tunnel.

Matt
The King of Kings!
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Yup, Camaro is definitely next best Tier 1 car. Kinda puts Collector's Edition owners at a real advantage in Tier 1, but I figure that's fair - we paid a little more for the right, after all.
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

the camaro concept is actually a tier 3 car.
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Hi all!

I see many words, but very little useful info... So, the best cars are decided on Speedtrap? :S This has to be a joke right? No offense...
Show me some Circuit and Sprint Times done with 240sx. That would be useful to actually compare the cars... And please dont use only High Speed Tracks, also twisted ones please.

I wasnt aware of the Leaderboard feature! Is quite cool! =) With a few exceptions, Records are still too high (Sprints and especially Circuits), but in time we may find here quite interesting info! =)

Cya all!
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

VG_Speed wrote:Hi all!

I see many words, but very little useful info... So, the best cars are decided on Speedtrap? :S This has to be a joke right? No offense...
Show me some Circuit and Sprint Times done with 240sx. That would be useful to actually compare the cars... And please dont use only High Speed Tracks, also twisted ones please.

I wasnt aware of the Leaderboard feature! Is quite cool! =) With a few exceptions, Records are still too high (Sprints and especially Circuits), but in time we may find here quite interesting info! =)

Cya all!
Kinda rude, don't you think? The guy did go through a lot of trouble uploading shadows and times for his experiments on a Speedtrap. It may not satisfy your questions, but he still went through a lot of trouble, and Speedtraps do test ONE aspect of a car's capabilities.
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Hi!

No, I dont think it's rude. That is why the "No Offense" is there.

And I think the question is relevant. Is Speedtrap the best way to see what is the true potential of a Car? GT3 himself says in the Setup Tips Topic that that particular Speedtrap doesnt have any decent corners, so we can only test there the acceleration and top speed power of each car.

NFS is all about the speed you can carry in corners. Because of this 206 could sometimes beat RX-7 in NFSU1. Corolla was by far the best in NFSU2. Elise could hold Carrera GT in MW. And Audi dominates Carbon, although I believe that Corvette can handle it on more tracks then we might think at first.

Now, we already know that in Speedtrap 240sx is better. But that we knew already, just read previous posts, where I clearly say that I doubt Mazda3 could beat 240sx on very fast tracks.

But the question is, can Mazda3 carry more speed on corners then 240sx, and this way do a better overall Lap Time?

I am only considering this for Sprints and Circuits, like you can check on my 1st post on this. And I am also assuming (might be wrong) that 240sx is a Custom Car, cant be edited.

But the bottom line is this: Stonewall Tunnel Speedtrap cant give you, with certainty, which car is the best.

Mind this: most of the defeats I have in Ranked Online is precisely Stonewall Tunnel, against Corvettes. But I think that in all times I raced there, only once a non-Audi cut the finished line in front of me. So, I am saying that in 40 or 50 times I raced there, only once a non-Audi beat my Audi cutting the line.

Cya, and once again, no offense to anyone.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

VG_Speed wrote:But the bottom line is this: Stonewall Tunnel Speedtrap cant give you, with certainty, which car is the best.
Very true. My comments so far on this are based on Stonewall testing, which is a very rough gauge indeed. For balance, tests should be run now on some tight, twisty tracks. Then the whole process should be repeated without NOS as this is a whole different ballgame. I still feel that the 240 is well ahead, but without hard numbers, who can say.
Fishwhiz wrote:the camaro concept is actually a tier 3 car.
Yes, but the Camaro SS is Tier 1.

Return to “Carbon”