Non-sensitive controller button

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
BluePhirePB
Drift King
Drift King

Non-sensitive controller button

Post by BluePhirePB »

Hey, I need some help for my PC racing wheel. I own an older Microsoft Sidewinder Racing Wheel (non-FF) and a few months ago, my downshift button stopped working. At first, it required me to push harder to be able to downshift but eventually, it just stopped working and lost its sensitivity. I don't want to invest in a new wheel just because one button is broken and the wheel has served me well since 2003. My question is, how can I repair my current wheel to get the button working again?
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

take it apart and see what you got ? maybe the button inside came loose from its mount ?
BluePhirePB
Drift King
Drift King

Post by BluePhirePB »

I couldn't take it fully apart because the centre of the wheel seems to be glued or snapped together. However, I did manage to pry the outer part of the wheel and slide a wad of paper where the downshift button and contact pad meet. I can downshift now but it's more pressured activation than simple on/off by pushing.
Tuners Rock
New Age Fanboi
New Age Fanboi

Post by Tuners Rock »

you probably did something to the button, have you been pressing down too hard before these problems?
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

if its anything like the FF version, you have to open up the center part.. the thing that says microsoft on it. there are more screws under that

i wouldnt recommend opening it fully though... its really a pain in the butt to put it back together >.<

it most likely is a switch problem, quite common prob with these wheels

i think you'd be best off if you take it to some shop to get it fixed
BluePhirePB
Drift King
Drift King

Post by BluePhirePB »

Tuners Rock wrote:you probably did something to the button, have you been pressing down too hard before these problems?
Nope. Just normal downshifting. However, I've used this for all my racing games from 2003 until now.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”