ProStreet game: performance problems

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed ProStreet.
Be sure to search first!
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

ProStreet game: performance problems

Post by Hydro_PT »

Hi to all :). As you can see, I'm a new member around here. I usually visit this site regularly, but only registered now :mrgreen:.

So, let's go to the problem. Is the following: I played ProStreet demo and I had some problems running it alright. Even at 640 X 480, everything on LOW or OFF, I have some breaks on the game, which completely ruins my game experience :(. I thought this was because of the demo, so I didn't worried too much and I got ProStreet, the entire game. And guess what, it happens the same it happens with the demo. I can have good FPS and then they just drop and get high again, they drop again, the game has really some annoying breaks. And again I'm playing with everything on minimum :(. Before you ask, I have nothing running on the background, such as MSN or even firewalls blocking the game. My PC is cleaned from virus, spyware and all that stuff, it's not fragmented, I have the latest drivers for my graphic card and latest Direct X. All the other games I have run alright, even (and this is the most surprising) Crysis. I can run just fine Crysis, at 800 X 600, everything on LOW and around 30 FPS without breaks.

And yes, my computer meets the minimum system requirements to play Pro Street. I have a Pentium IV 3.0, the games asks for a Pentium IV 2.8. I have 1 GB of RAM, the game asks for 512 MB. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 Gamer Edition 256 MB with over clock (core is at 280 and memory at 250), the game asks for an ATI Radeon 9500 and I have about 80%of free disk space (my hard disk is 500 GB) and I'm running it on Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2.

I tried everything so far, such as turn off anti virus, useless processes, everything. The game's performance doesn't change a bit. I don't really now why this happen, because I meet the minimum system requirements, I have no other things running on the background that could slow down the game so much and I can play all the recent games with decent FPS (Crysis, Call of Duty 4 and so on).

I already saw people having trouble running the demo and the full game, some have even better computers than mine and they can't properly play the game. As an example, a friend of mine has a computer just like mine, the only difference is that he has an ATI Radeon 9800 XT with OC too and when he is racing drag the game is just fine, and then, when he races grip or something, the game is so slow that it takes about 6 minutes to start a race O_o.

I would appreciate some help, if possible... by the way, did EA announced some kind of patch? Because this is really annoying me, I'm liking Pro Street a lot and I want to play it properly, since I now I have a computer that is able to do that.

Thanks in advance :).
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: ProStreet game: performance problems

Post by YaelDjiel »

it even lags on my 7900gto/gtx... do you honestly think that 9550 will do? :?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Defrag your hard drive and make sure you have a large enough paging file.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

it even lags on my 7900gto/gtx... do you honestly think that 9550 will do?
Well yes, since I meet the requirements :S. And mine 9550 has overclock and even not meeting the system requirements for other games I can play them just fine. ProStreet is the only game I couldn't play so far, all the others I tried they work alright (Crysis, CoD 4, BioShock, TDU and so on). I know that Crysis and PS are two completely different games, one is a FPS and the other a racing game, but still, Crysis "asks" a lot more than PS, even TDU asks more and I can play it just fine :/. I really don't know what is wrong.

And well, how can you explain a drag racing with decent FPS and a normal grip racing that takes about 6 minutes to start? It's less than one frame per second, I can assure you. I saw with my own eyes on my friends computer, he has a 9800 XT and runs the games I mentioned even better than me :roll:.

prince1142003: Alright I'll do that, but I clean my computer every week and I defrag it too, just did it before installing ProStreet last night. But I can do it again :). By the way, how can I be sure I have a large enough paging file? And what is that? I don't even know. :oops:

Thanks guys for the support :)
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

So, here I'm again lol. I did defrag my computer, cleaned it again... stills the same :(.

Now, I've been searching for almost 2 hours on forums and stuff to see if someone has a similar problem. And I saw members with Pentium IV 3.4, 512 RAM (:O) and ATI 9600 playing the game without trouble. And on the other hand, I saw members with great computers that are not able to play the game. The best "theory" I found about this problem is that PS somehow doesn't run well on single-core processors and Nvidia 8600 graphics card.

This is not confirmed, it's just what I could find after a lot of search. And in 5 computers, 3 are dual-core and they can run the game without problem; 2 are single-core and they can't run it (even with enough amount of RAM and a decent graphic card). This is was my "personal test" with my friends computers. Pretty weird, I may say...

Could please someone post their game performance if you have a single-core computer? Just for me to have an idea of what it can be.. I really don't know what to do, I can't play PS that way, it sucks really bad. And the more I play, the more I want :(.

PS: Should I complain to EA? :roll:
SlickVic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SlickVic »

hey bro. i have the same exact problem!! it sucks cuz i really wanted to play and now iam stuck waiting and wishing for a patch to come out. i herd the proseccor thing too and i have a intel centrino duo 2.0. (meaning 4.0--- more then enough for the game) i have a 512mb 8600gs and running with 2 gigs of ram. vista 32 bit. iam having that break problem for the game and it sucks that i cant get my money back cuz at this point i really want it and just buy call of duty 4 like i was going to do first. if u hear anything let me kno plz!!!!!
bashderq
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by bashderq »

Hydro_PT wrote:I can have good FPS and then they just drop and get high again, they drop again, the game has really some annoying breaks. And again I'm playing with everything on minimum
Sounds like memory leakage. A few new games have been experiencing this problem. Like SlickVic says a patch could fix this so just hang tight.
SlickVic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SlickVic »

hey bro, i complained at EA, this is wat they told me.

STARTS FROM THE BOTTOM.

i have tried to update my graphics, it gives me an error saying. "the nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with current hardware. setup will now exit." i cant seem to update, it just closes. is tehre any other way to update.?
Response (Vanessa V)
11/16/2007 08:30 PM

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us here at Electronic Arts Technical Support. I'm sorry that you’re having difficulties with Need For Speed: ProStreet.

To further review your concern we need more information about the issue that you are having.
- What have you done so far to try to solve the issue?

Before anything else, it should be noted that most EA games were not designed with laptop use in mind. Part of this lies in the fact that some laptop video cards may have different operation specifications as opposed to their desktop counterparts. While these games may run on laptops, their performance cannot be fully guaranteed.

I have looked over the system information included with your email and it appears that you are in need of an updated driver for your video card. I suggest that you go to the following website and follow the instructions to download the latest drivers. The following instructions are solely provided as a general guide as each manufacturer may utilize a different method for installation.

If the trouble persists, try updating the drivers for your video card.

These drivers can be obtained by taking the following steps:

· Go to: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
· There you will see three boxes. In the first box, Choose "Graphics Driver".
· In the second box, choose the type of Video card you have. Your Video card is the:
· In the third box, choose your Operating System (Windows Version), and click "Go!".
· Click on the "» Primary Download Site «".
· Read the LICENSE AGREEMENT and click "Accept".

It should then prompt you to begin the download. Be mindful of any additional Install or download instructions that Nvidia recommends.

Try cleaning out your Temporary directory. Do not delete the folder itself, open the folder, select all of the contents, and then delete them.

1. Double click on "My Computer"
2. Double click on the C: drive
3. Double click on the "Windows" folder.
4. Double click on the "Temp" folder.
5. Hold the "CTRL" key and tap the "A" key to select all.
6. Tap the "Delete" key on your keyboard and accept the "Are you sure you want to delete these files" prompt.

You may get an error that some of these files can't be deleted. This is usually because they are currently in use, so let's end any program that would be using these temporary files.

1. Hold down the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time
2. Click the "Processes" tab.
3. Click on the gray bar in the middle column that says User Name to sort by user name.
4. Do NOT select anything for SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE.
5. Click on anything besides EXPLORER and TASKMGR for this User Name or other user names.
6. Click on END PROCESS
7. Repeat these steps until only explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe are open for this user profile.

Note that some applications may take multiple times before closing. Don't worry that you are permanently changing your system configuration; these applications will return when you restart your system.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future, please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com).

Thanks!

Anne
EA Technical Support
Customer
11/16/2007 12:15 PM

pro street lags, and breaks in the game. FPS speeds up and then shoots down. my pc meets all minimal for the game and it actually is better what it recommends. i herd something about single core processors not working correctly with the game and 8600 cards also which is wat i have. please let me kno ASAP because this is disappointing to me and other need for speed fans who pay for the game and get delayed due to your issues...
SlickVic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SlickVic »

hey man, i been doing some information on this, in my case i think it is a graphic card update. i need the most recent card update to play properly. its not confirmed but its most likely that... heres the thing, lol it wont install on my laptop and this is why....

" HP requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site.

The GeForce Go mobile GPU use drivers that have been customized to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior that are normally found in notebooks. The reference desktop graphic drivers that are provided by NVIDIA on our driver downloads page do not include these custom features. For this reason, the NVIDIA Forceware NVIDIA graphics display drivers will not install on most Geforce and Quadro family of mobile GPU's. Some newer laptops have been designed to work with our drivers. For more information click here."

the problem is, hp has not made the recent update for my card for thier perticualar laptop's mobile 8600gs. iam actually on the fone with them now trying to see wtf iam gona do and comlplian at them that becuase of them i cant play the game...

apperently i have to wait... this blows. hope it helps.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

hey bro. i have the same exact problem!! it sucks cuz i really wanted to play and now iam stuck waiting and wishing for a patch to come out
Finally someone who has the same problem I have [-o<. At least I'm sure it is not my computer problem :P.

Well it looks like complaining to EA doesn't solve nothing... why didn't I downloaded the game? Instead I could have bought CoD 4 :cry:. I'm sure my graphic card has the latest drivers, I did that before installing ProStreet and then, I did it again after is was installed, just in case something was messed up.

Well I'm going to wait for a patch, of course, I hope they release it quickly, before the end of this month... otherwise, EA won't receive more money from me or my friends.. we are all pissed off about this <_<.

I'll continue searching about this, any info I have I will post... and if someone has any new, please post here :).
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

YaelDjiel wrote:it even lags on my 7900gto/gtx... do you honestly think that 9550 will do? :?
It's confirmed and tested (also by me in my old PC) that the 9550 can handle the game, BUT some things on LOW like "World Detail" and others like "smoke" in high....and res has to be 800x600 or 1024x768 without no AA.

Xturbo.
WonkaVW
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by WonkaVW »

You're getting about the right performance given your video card. Minimum requirements really does mean MINIMUM. It doesn't even mean you're gonna be able to play it properly. It means the game will launch and you *probably* will be able to play it.

The major factor here limiting your performance is obviously your video card, but the hitching and pausing is most likely caused by the low amount of RAM (yes 1GB isn't sufficient for new games anymore). I have the same CPU as you but 2GB of OCZ Performance Series RAM and a Radeon X1950 Pro and the game performs quite fluidly. I only spent just over $300 for both the RAM and the video card.

You should consider a RAM upgrade to make the game playable for now, then either a complete upgrade of the system or a video card upgrade (in which I recommend the X1950 Pro or Nvidia 7900GS)
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

he major factor here limiting your performance is obviously your video card, but the hitching and pausing is most likely caused by the low amount of RAM (yes 1GB isn't sufficient for new games anymore).
I know my computer is not good enough to play new games, but then, explain me how I can play Crysis, BioShock, Call of Duty 4 and other games without trouble? :shock:. ProStreet is the only game I couldn't properly play so far ...

About the upgrade, yeah I though about buying 1GB RAM and then use one of my 512 RAM to make 1.5GB. Because my motherboard only has two slots and I have 2 x 512 RAM. But I just bought a new motherboard and PS, so kinda hard right now buy some stuff :(.
It's confirmed and tested (also by me in my old PC) that the 9550 can handle the game, BUT some things on LOW like "World Detail" and others like "smoke" in high....and res has to be 800x600 or 1024x768 without no AA.
I have everything on LOW or OFF, playing at 640 X 480, no AA, Bilinear texture, no V-Sync, smoke ON, damage HIGH, car detail LOW, everything related to world is OFF...
I even took out smoke and damage OFF and LOW respectively, stills the same, so I decided to keep that anyway.

I'm still waiting for a patch [-o<
SlickVic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SlickVic »

if he can run crysis, that he has a piont. cuz seriosly, i downloaded teh demo and that thing sucks up all my pc. i ran a complete low to get good frame rate. i can boost the graphics but i personally would play poorly graphics wit good frame rate. and like i said. i have 8600gs 512 detacated ram and 1 gig virtual for the card alone. 2 gigs for normal and vista 32 bit. the ea people told that becuase its a laptop it could have trouble. tell u the truth. its all b.s, cuz even if it has touble for laptops, people would bi*tch and they would make a patch to make it work. and if they dont its just rediculous. but yea, they'll make a patch, iam pretty sure. iam just waiting for hp to come out wit the update for the new nividia driver update, cuz i need teh "laptop Version" so stupid....
SlickVic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SlickVic »

if he can run crysis, that he has a piont. cuz seriosly, i downloaded teh demo and that thing sucks up all my pc. i ran a complete low to get good frame rate. i can boost the graphics but i personally would play poorly graphics wit good frame rate. and like i said. i have 8600gs 512 detacated ram and 1 gig virtual for the card alone. 2 gigs for normal and vista 32 bit. the ea people told that becuase its a laptop it could have trouble. tell u the truth. its all b.s, cuz even if it has touble for laptops, people would bi*tch and they would make a patch to make it work. and if they dont its just rediculous. but yea, they'll make a patch, iam pretty sure. iam just waiting for hp to come out wit the update for the new nividia driver update, cuz i need teh "laptop Version" so stupid....

sorry for the typos, type ffast
kritdesign
Ricer
Ricer

Post by kritdesign »

do you mean that the best solution is to wait for a patch?

I only have the specs of
P4 2.4
2x512mb of RAM
Radeon 9550 256x128
35gig of Free space in Hard disc

and you know what, when I'm in the game played about 5-10 minutes, it always closes and a "Send error report" and "Don't send error report" appears.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

1. Your processor speed is subpar. I don't think it meets the requirements for ProStreet.
2. Your graphics card just barely meets the requirements (I think it isn't on the list of compatible cards, but people have gotten it to work).
3. Your hard drive free space is small.
4. Since you have 1GB RAM, set your paging file to anywhere between 3.5 and 4 GB. ProStreet is a RAM hog, and if you don't have enough memory space you'll get problems.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

ProStreet only requires 512MB of RAM right? So technically, using 1GB of RAM should be sufficient for Windows XP. :)
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Your processor speed is subpar. I don't think it meets the requirements for ProStreet.
Well it does... the game ask for a Pentium IV running 2.8Ghz on Windows XP. So...
Your graphics card just barely meets the requirements (I think it isn't on the list of compatible cards, but people have gotten it to work).
Yeah I know, but it is compatible with the game. 9500 series are compatible... I'm sure my 9550 is part of that :mrgreen:.
Your hard drive free space is small.
Are you joking? I have 318 GB of free space.. how that can't be enough? My disk is 500 GB, btw...
Since you have 1GB RAM, set your paging file to anywhere between 3.5 and 4 GB. ProStreet is a RAM hog, and if you don't have enough memory space you'll get problems.
Thanks for the hint, but how I change that? And (lol) what is paging file? :S

[-o<
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Sorry, my post was directed towards the person who posted directly before me.

To change your page file size, right-click My Computer and select Properties. Then go to Performance and click Settings. Click the Advanced tab and under Virtual Memory click Change. That's how to do it on XP. No clue how to do it on Vista, but I'm sure google can help.
kark
Stock
Stock

Post by kark »

ok, i undrestand if system is near minimum, but what do you say if my system is:
mb - asus m2v-mx se
cpu - amd athlon 64 6000+
ram - 2x1gb ddr2 800mhz
vga - nvidia gforce 8600gt
hdd - with 37gb free
page file - min 3072mb
xp pro - clean instal with latest drivers, all unnessessary processes disabled,

and f***ing game still dosn't work properly - I can have good FPS and then they just drop and get high again, they drop again and I CAN'T PLAY...
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

kark wrote:and f***ing game still dosn't work properly - I can have good FPS and then they just drop and get high again, they drop again and I CAN'T PLAY...
Sounds like some background process is kicking in. See what else you have running?

Also if you are using a firewall software make sure the punkbuster app is either allowed or denied prior to launching the game as it does try to use the internet at certain intervals. And if you haven't created a rule for it, your firewall app might be popping up in the background waiting for your response on what to do with it.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I've noticed that ProStreet is a huge memory hog. As soon as I start playing, my RAM usage shoots up to 100% (1GB) and my Page File usage jumps to 75% (which is 2.5 GBs).
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Sorry, my post was directed towards the person who posted directly before me.
Oh sorry, didn't noticed :). And thanks for the hint, I put virtual memory to 3500 and the game stills the same :(.
ok, i undrestand if system is near minimum, but what do you say if my system is:
mb - asus m2v-mx se
cpu - amd athlon 64 6000+
ram - 2x1gb ddr2 800mhz
vga - nvidia gforce 8600gt
hdd - with 37gb free
page file - min 3072mb
xp pro - clean instal with latest drivers, all unnessessary processes disabled,

and f***ing game still dosn't work properly - I can have good FPS and then they just drop and get high again, they drop again and I CAN'T PLAY...
You have exactly the same problem I have... although your computer is a lot better than mine. Should we meet and invade PS developers' building? :twisted:
ounds like some background process is kicking in. See what else you have running?

Also if you are using a firewall software make sure the punkbuster app is either allowed or denied prior to launching the game as it does try to use the internet at certain intervals. And if you haven't created a rule for it, your firewall app might be popping up in the background waiting for your response on what to do with it.
I don't have that, just checked my anti virus and firewall again (I know that wasn't for me, but anyway, I checked again :)). And amazingly, Crysis stills running in my machine :roll:

EA, give us a patch [-o<.
kritdesign
Ricer
Ricer

Post by kritdesign »

prince1142003 wrote:1. Your processor speed is subpar. I don't think it meets the requirements for ProStreet.
ok. maybe it is time to buy a new one.
prince1142003 wrote:3. Your hard drive free space is small.
i thought that 35gig free space of hard disc is enough. atleast how many space is required?
prince1142003 wrote:4. Since you have 1GB RAM, set your paging file to anywhere between 3.5 and 4 GB. ProStreet is a RAM hog, and if you don't have enough memory space you'll get problems.
3.5 and 4 GB? what do you mean? you mean 3.5 MB and 4 MB?

Return to “Help & Support”