I need help

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
taz947
Professional
Professional

I need help

Post by taz947 »

I encountered some really bad problems with my computer:
AMD X2 5000+, 2 GB RAM, 140 Gb HDD, Asus G-Force 8500 GT 512 Mb Heatpipe.My motherboard is a Asus M2N with PCI-Express. We asked a quite skilled man who upgrade with another 1 GB of RAM and a new 250 Gb Hard-Drive.
After we installed all the drivers and Vista, the BSOD(Blue Screen Of Death) appeared follow by a quite frequently conflict with some hardware. The next day in the morning, the RSOD(Red Screen Of Death) appeared. I think it's quite bad from what I've read. How can I solve the problem?
The man replaced all the hardware, except the Motherboard. Could that be the problem?
But I think that the another stick of RAM could be the issue. Maybe they are not compatible. Both are Kingston.

I'm waiting for a fast answer 'cause I need to repair the computer because the exam session is coming...

Thank you in advce,
taz947(btw,it's great to be back ;) )
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: I need help

Post by vellu »

Faulty or incompatible RAM modules seem likely. There however is a program that specifically tests RAM modules.

Get it from: http://www.memtest86.com

Get the 3.4a ISO file. Download, burn to cd, boot from cd and see what the results are.
The Gravedigger
Professional
Professional

Post by The Gravedigger »

Mind if we ask for the full specifications of your PC first, including very useful things like the power supply, etc. ?

Because it could just simply be you're starving your PC for something as simple as your power requirements outweigh your PSU itself.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

Thank you for your answer,I've actually managed to solve the problem. It was my Motherboard.
The power supply was replaced yesterday with a more powerful one.
My Asus M2N Motherboard wasn't supporting that kind of RAM.
Tomorrow I'll be replacing it, but here comes another question? What model should I buy?
The Gravedigger
Professional
Professional

Post by The Gravedigger »

Depends on what features/future expandability you're after, if it's something simple then there's a few options (not sure which as I haven't bothered to look at/for AMD motherboards for a year or so.
Been way too obsessed with Intel to bother with AMD, so yeah... I doubt I'll be a 'reliable' source of information but if you are after various suggestions then I'm sure after some decent looking it'll be easy enough to pick out quite a few.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

A quite decent price.
But how do I test if my parts are compatible with that MB?
And talking about this, is there a test for the compatibility of the parts with my MB?I want to see what is the issue.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

taz947 wrote:But how do I test if my parts are compatible with that MB?
And talking about this, is there a test for the compatibility of the parts with my MB?I want to see what is the issue.
For the memory modules, if they are Kingston, there is a simple compatibility tool at Kingston website right on the frontpage at http://www.kingston.com.

Just type in the "memory search" your motherboard manufacturer, click search, find your product and see what for sure works with it.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

taz947 wrote:A quite decent price.
But how do I test if my parts are compatible with that MB?
What kind of memory is it? Kingston, Kingmax, A-Data, Mushkin, GeIL? And what MHz and capacity are they.

I am only asking about the RAM cuz the rest works on those motherboards.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

Thanks to all who posted here.
My PC is now working fine with a new MotherBoard, a new Video Card(nvidia 8800 :D ).
The man said that the motherboard wasn't compatible with the processor, thing that I can't easily believe.

Again, I thank to all members that posted in this thread.

For Admins: If you want, you can lock it. ;)

Return to “The Hardware & Software”