E-gear VS 6-speed manual w. clutch

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing

If you had the option of choosing between E-Gear or 6-speed manual, which will you go for?

E-Gear
40%
6-speed manual with clutch
60%

Total votes: 10

Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

E-gear VS 6-speed manual w. clutch

Post by Andre_online »

I've searched high and low in this forum if this question has been brought up by anyone. But since I couldn't find one, I thought I should create one, and I hope this will blossom into a good discussion thread. :)

So this question has been on my mind since I came to know about the new technology of gear shifting in the motoring industry, and that's E-Gear. It provides convenience for the riches to unleash their inner speed demons preventing them from major embarrassment of stalling the car should he not know how to drive with the manual gearbox with the clutch pedal. However, despite my massive admiration for E-Gear, I don't see why people should even buy a supercar if they don't even know how drive a car with stick shifting; it absolutely drives me insane to learn that half the people driving the 'affordable' supercars like Lamborghinis and Ferraris, at the same time not knowing how to drive them in the traditional way. It is inevitable that when one owns a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, he would want to be perceived as the upper-class in the society, and many more are jumping into the bandwagon (in Singapore, that is).

So I shouldn't veer off-topic and digress. I'm not even sure if my argument was even linked. LOL! So both has its own pros and cons, and I believe you know what they are, which is why I shan't say anything and leave it open for discussion. :)

So my question is, given the option, which one would you go for? For me, on most circumstances, I'd go for the E-Gear. :)

P.S: I don't mean to be a sexist, but I'm just assuming that males are generally more interested in cars as compared to females. But if there are any females here, do feel free to share your views. :)
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Re: E-gear VS 6-speed manual w. clutch

Post by RedCarDriver »

Six-speed manual FTW. No paddle shift, no E-gear, just plain mechanical shifting. :mrgreen:
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

If we're talking about performance, I'll go with the E-Gear.

If you really have to drive the super-car everyday, the MT is my choice.
It's a pain in the bum-bum to park it with the E-Gear(or the Ferrari F1 Transmission).
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Full manual, plzkthx. I want to drive - I don't want the car to drive for me. :P
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

taz947 wrote:If you really have to drive the super-car everyday, the MT is my choice.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? If I were driving it everyday, I'd put it in automatic mode and just cruise along. :)
taz947 wrote:It's a pain in the bum-bum to park it with the E-Gear(or the Ferrari F1 Transmission).
Actually, some cars have a dedicated Reverse button (or lever in Ferrari or Maserati's case). Lamborghini, for example, has it near the steering wheel. :)
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

Andre_online wrote:
taz947 wrote:If you really have to drive the super-car everyday, the MT is my choice.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? If I were driving it everyday, I'd put it in automatic mode and just cruise along. :)
taz947 wrote:It's a pain in the bum-bum to park it with the E-Gear(or the Ferrari F1 Transmission).
Actually, some cars have a dedicated Reverse button (or lever in Ferrari or Maserati's case). Lamborghini, for example, has it near the steering wheel. :)

Yeah, but the E-Gear in this case could be too rough for cruising along.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Don't most semi-auto transmissions have different settings for different driving styles?
xHaZxMaTx wrote:Full manual, plzkthx. I want to drive - I don't want the car to drive for me. :P
I'd like to amend this statement and say that a lot of the driver aids you see more often in cars, today, seem to me like they would take most of what's fun out of driving a car. What with all the gizmos and gadgets, it's more like the computer is driving more than it is you. At that point, you may as well go ride a rollercoaster, or something. :P No launch control, no stability control, no traction control, no flappy-paddle gearbox; just give me 4 wheels, a clutch, brakes and an engine. :mrgreen:
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Unfortunately there's no way you can escape from those things when you buy a car these days. You can turn them off, but no chance of not having any ESP / ABS programs installed in the cars.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Some non-manual boxes I really admire, like the VAG double-clutch box, and the later versions of BMW's SMG. The E-gear system sounds silly and overcomplicated. Electronics in gear changing FTL.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

I agree with what Jeremy Clarkson always says "Flappy Paddle gearbox's are s***". Im for a true manual since you cant drift or do clutch kicks in a car with E-Gear.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Another vote for manual, but electronically controlled gearboxes are most certainly faster (until they break, of course).
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

boganbusman wrote:Another vote for manual, but electronically controlled gearboxes are most certainly faster (until they break, of course).
yea and theyre alot more money to fix.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I'm assuming this would be a track scenario, because to be quite frank I don't give a shiznit what sort of transmission it has for a daily driver, just so long as it can be driven. In a track scenario the odds favour E-gear much more greater than manual. I'd take the Ascari A10-style Sequential, pull down to shift up, push up to shift down. Simple like a semi-auto, but fun like a manual. Best of both worlds.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

viper16 wrote:I agree with what Jeremy Clarkson always says "Flappy Paddle gearbox's are s***". Im for a true manual since you cant drift or do clutch kicks in a car with E-Gear.
Have you ever driven a car with a paddle box? In fact, are you old enough to drive? My old M3 CSL had a paddle shift SMG 'box and that was brilliant.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

steelsnake00 wrote:
viper16 wrote:I agree with what Jeremy Clarkson always says "Flappy Paddle gearbox's are s***". Im for a true manual since you cant drift or do clutch kicks in a car with E-Gear.
Have you ever driven a car with a paddle box? In fact, are you old enough to drive? My old M3 CSL had a paddle shift SMG 'box and that was brilliant.
yes im old enough to drive. i have also tried a paddle shift car.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

What car? I had one for about 6 months and although the downshifts were a little jerky, it was brilliant, especially on a track.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

On a 240SX? As in 2.4, inline 4, no forced induction? No-one in their right mind would bother with such expensive kit on such a cheap car without at least popping in an SR20DET, so I'm calling billy bullsh*t on that one.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

steelsnake00 wrote:On a 240SX? As in 2.4, inline 4, no forced induction? No-one in their right mind would bother with such expensive kit on such a cheap car without at least popping in an SR20DET, so I'm calling billy bullsh*t on that one.
He has a KA-T boosting 12psi with a Turbonetics Turbo Kit. S14 Zenki
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

steelsnake00 wrote:On a 240SX? As in 2.4, inline 4, no forced induction? No-one in their right mind would bother with such expensive kit on such a cheap car without at least popping in an SR20DET, so I'm calling billy bullsh*t on that one.
Lol ownt....I'm old enough to drive, but I haven't driven a semi-auto. The basis that I'm going on for this is, all the drivers in V8 Supercars that have sequential (pull down to shift up, and vice versa for down) are smoking the normal clutch 6-speed drivers. And they're all pretty much equal drivers, in pretty much equal cars. That and my DFGT steering wheel has sequential :lol:
Last edited by Koenigsegg_Rox on 20 Jan 2009, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

12 psi? That's almost nothing. My RS2-spec S2 Coupé was running at 32psi at one point. Again, a SR20DET would be much more economical swap.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

steelsnake00 wrote:12 psi? That's almost nothing. My RS2-spec S2 Coupé was running at 32psi at one point. Again, a SR20DET would be much more economical swap.
32psi wouldnt that blow your engine
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Well obviously not...
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Not on a KKK26/27 hybrid with Pauter rods. Rods were good for well over 600 lb ft, and it was running 420bhp/440lb ft at 32psi (2.2bar). Anything under 1.5bar is foreplay :D
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

steelsnake00 wrote:Not on a KKK26/27 hybrid with Pauter rods. Rods were good for well over 600 lb ft, and it was running 420bhp/440lb ft at 32psi (2.2bar). Anything under 1.5bar is foreplay :D
no wonder. all we have is a T3/T4 Hybrid with stock engine internals

Return to “The Cars”