Does it matter to pirates?

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Does it matter to pirates?

Post by oshaylinux »

Is it a deterrent for pirates that a game has internet dependent LAN?

Personally I don't think it matter to them, I think it's the hype and popularity of the game that makes it such a draw for pirating, and other reasons.

What do you all think, is non internet free LAN a deterrent for pirates?
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Does it matter to pirates?

Post by Stereo »

Oh yes, it matters.

sorry, this is my 3900'th post, thus requires a picture, and I didn't really understand your question so well... >_>
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

He's saying that if a game cannot run a LAN-based multi-player game without an active internet connection, (and thus a valid license to play the game,) if it is still as appealing to pirates as one allowing independent LAN connections.

I'd say that, seeing how one can play a pirated game ONLINE by means that shall not be mentioned, that I'm sure there would be some workaround for a LAN-party game, and therefor, would have little influence on a matey's intent to steal.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

I asked these pirates if it mattered, but they just looked at me funny and laughed.

jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

From a Pirate, I have to say it doesn't mean crap all. Just a little extra effort. The really stupid thing is it encourages pirating as people don't wish to buy a game that harms the customers over the pirates (just look at how many games have verification issues and other such stuff). If games companies want to get people to play their game, stop worrying about the pirates and put out good games that make people want to buy them out of respect rather than demand.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

^ *Reports* ^
:D
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I was wondering where all of these banner ads were coming from, and now it all makes sense...

korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

I blame the PC bandwagon of trying to make PC gaming like Console gaming and using piracy and the ship to set it out to sail.

Everyone knows they want to kill off the LAN ability so people have to buy every single copy.

Remember back in the day when "Registering your Copy" was optional?
korge
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

SHIFT on PC is basically what Forza is on 360 and GT is on PS3.
Guess how many copies they sold on the PC in september?
5700 compared to 145000 on ps3 and 148000 on 360.

There is LAN in SHIFT.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

korge wrote:Remember back in the day when "Registering your Copy" was optional?
I remember those days. Games that actually require an Internet connection to verify that you have a legit copy of a game sometimes is annoying. Had to do it twice in the past month when reinstalling Far Cry 2. (yes it's a legit copy.)
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Bojan wrote:SHIFT on PC is basically what Forza is on 360 and GT is on PS3.
Guess how many copies they sold on the PC in september?
5700 compared to 145000 on ps3 and 148000 on 360.

There is LAN in SHIFT.
Yes but is it a good game = NO
If it was on a par with something like GT or Forza then people would buy it. I bought a PS3 just for GT5 and FF13, would I buy a PC just for SHIFT? NO. Hell if the PC were the same cost as the PS3 I got I still wouldn't buy it for SHIFT. To be blunt, SHIFT is shiznit. That's all there is to say about that.

I'll give you a good game recently though, that would be Metro 2033. I'd pay money for that game. Well worth every minute. In fact when the DLC comes out I am buying it and the DLC in a pack. Same with Supreme Commander 2 (bagged by fans of the original, but they miss that it's actually a better game) and League of Legends. Both well made (SupCom2 has glitches but they are getting fixed fast) and great fun.

Thing is EA and Ubisoft to name 2 have got so used to having their customers bent over the barrel that they don't understand it when they are now reacting with their dollars to things like always on DRM (Assassin's Creed 2, Settlers 7, Silent Hunter 5) and terrible quality games (EA...). They aren't making the money off games the same way Activision are, though they lost the plot recently too (CoD MW2 even though sold well has a very poor active userbase on PC, and is plagued by hackers on all platforms). Biggest selling game ever bar WoW, yet it was also pretty bad on release and after release. Money made from hype, then they sacked the CEO's of IW to prevent paying them the royalties off Billions, and shot themselves in the foot. They maybe rolling in cash at the moment, but give them a couple of years and they will have trouble due to alienating the very people they were selling the game to.

Return to “General Discussion”