$200K exotic car or $200K modified car?

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
bronco
Drift King
Drift King

$200K exotic car or $200K modified car?

Post by bronco »

i recently had this argument with a friend about whether id buy an exotic car and i just basically stared back at him and went "why would you?" i mean for 200k u can insanely modify just about any normal average car to a point it will obliterate any exotic car in speed, looks and whatever other things you may see a car do. so im just wondering what you guys think.

:twisted: btw i pick 200K R32 GTR A.K.A Godzilla :twisted:
_SHARKY_
Ricer
Ricer

Post by _SHARKY_ »

Surely the modified car!!!!!!!!!
SunnyGTiR
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SunnyGTiR »

if i had 200k, id get a HPA motorsports golf r32, and a truck/suv of some kind for hauling stuff. id say modified for sure, cause u can make it completely unique to your tastes.
T-Shine
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by T-Shine »

Definitely an excotic. Much much more classy !
(and it saves me from all the troubles modifying... :P )
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Id take that 200k and make my Supra a bit faster ;)
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
bronco
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bronco »

hahaha, how did i know you were gona say that:D
M_S
Professional
Professional

Post by M_S »

i would take the money buy and 88 toyota supra or trueno or 92 rxt. then modify it to street legal extenses then use the rest to spend ona garage of my own
thinroad
Ricer
Ricer

Post by thinroad »

buy an exotic car and modify it
bronco
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bronco »

nah uh, the options are 200k modified car or exotic car, no option for modified exotic car...
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Id rather modify a Supra or Skyline than a Ferrari.
bronco
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bronco »

yea same. atleast if you modify a supra or skyline itll be good nonetheless but u modify an exotic it loses alot of its value.
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

You look like a moron in a $200000 Toyota Supra / Skyline / whatever, Civic?. You don't, when you are in a Porsche Turbo or Ferrari or smth like that... Also good luck selling your 200k dollar modified regular car - chances are it will be hard to find a wacko who'd pay that much for it after you did. . No argument there for me.

(now, when I say YOU I don't mean anyone in specific here - but in general).

EDIT: I'll add that this might offend some hard core enthusiasts. But remember, be honest with yourself. you buy a Supra for what - 20000USD (for example). You gotta spend 180000USD on it. Not just enough to make it fast. All the joy of those cars is that they cost nothing next to the likes of Ferrari, yet on performance can match them. That's their appeal to me anyway. A smart choice. But when I have plain 200000 bucks, i wouldn't have a second thought whether I want to buy some beat up import or smth, or whatver, and modify it, when I can order a Ferrari or Porsche - smth with Race tested technology and motosports pedegree. When give that much money, I doubt any of you will be drooling over a Supra. Because honestly, for 200000 you can get so much better and satisfying car. I don't think even Grez will disagree on that.
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

Humm... I have always loved the Ferrari355. I would buy it and keep it stock, only some custom painting work (no vinyls/decals :D).
I would think too much about changing the rims. Each change you make in a Ferrari, you will get a worse performance.
So my choice is an exotic :)
T-Shine
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by T-Shine »

UrQ: Well said, my friend.. Well said. Excactly my point of view as well.
Glad to see some cool guys around lol :lol: jk
JD
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by JD »

UrQuattro wrote:You look like a moron in a $200000 Toyota Supra / Skyline / whatever, Civic?. You don't, when you are in a Porsche Turbo or Ferrari or smth like that... Also good luck selling your 200k dollar modified regular car - chances are it will be hard to find a wacko who'd pay that much for it after you did. . No argument there for me.
Exactly! I completely agree with you..

If I had that money, I'd never choose to modify some car.
I mean you can buy a Ferrari... Who needs better than that?

Even if you modify some car, and it ends up being faster then a Ferrari, it doesn't matter, because, at that point it won't be the same car at all. Most of the car will be changed, and I won't mention all the stuff under the hood, like turbos and stuff, which will only cause your engine to live shorter if you know what I mean.
bronco
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bronco »

eerm urq, if you dont mind keep your "ud look like a moron" comments to yourself. this thread wasnt created to get anyone insulted even though u did mention u meant no on in particular when u said "u". i just wanted to hear your opinions. and im positive nobody calls a guy in a r34 GTR skyline with 1100 horspower rb26det and heaps more mods a moron. but they would call a guy in a bmw with an exhaust mod a moron for ruining the car. and thats my point, u can only do so much with it. and if u own an exotic and pull up next to the same exact model car as yours at the traffic light id feel like crap knowing that theres another guy who can waste 200k like me. im sure after 200k of mods on my import id be waaaaaaaaaay off looking like any other car in the country let alone the planet. when given that kinda money yes i wouldnt drool over a STOCK r32, id drool over thinking of the final outcome of my beast.
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

bronco wrote:eerm urq, if you dont mind keep your "ud look like a moron" comments to yourself. this thread wasnt created to get anyone insulted even though u did mention u meant no on in particular when u said "u".
I keep my comments like I want them, as it wasn't intended to be a literal reply to you Bronco, the thread starter. Next time, why don't you put a little *disclaimer, and make sure we all know what kind of responses you are looking for, just so we don't offend you.
bronco wrote:and im positive nobody calls a guy in a r34 GTR skyline with 1100 horspower rb26det and heaps more mods a moron
... Until he says it cost him two hundred thousand USD.
bronco wrote:but they would call a guy in a bmw with an exhaust mod a moron for ruining the car. and thats my point, u can only do so much with it. and if u own an exotic and pull up next to the same exact model car as yours at the traffic light id feel like crap knowing that theres another guy who can waste 200k like me. im sure after 200k of mods on my import id be waaaaaaaaaay off looking like any other car in the country let alone the planet. when given that kinda money yes i wouldnt drool over a STOCK r32, id drool over thinking of the final outcome of my beast.
Somewhere there you lost me. You get offended at my comment, yet you say there's only that much that can be done to car. Something I said as well - You can modify your car for much less than 200000. I'm thinking you just have no understanding of what 200000USD actually is in buying power. You did mean American dollars, right?

For performance, you can buy Lotus Elise for example and do some basic mods to it and make it into pretty much a supercar eater. It will not cost 200000USD, it will not cost 50000USD to do that! Unless you are planning to make it gold plated. And if you do, than yes, you are a moron.
Abdi
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Abdi »

if you want to look filthy rich, sure go ahead get your exotic car. Thats definitely not my choice, i must go with modifed car.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Sorry Urq, but even Grez will disagree on that ;)

If I were to opt for an exotic of that price, there are 2 cars Id be looking at. Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Ferrari F40.

Aston Martin - No air conditiong, only front windows are electric.
Ferrari - No carpets, radio, anything really.

Why? Because they were built to be fast, and a 'real sports car doesnt have air conditiong' :roll:

Now, stock for stock, both cars will annhilate a Supra. But I will have saved almost £190 000. Go on, read that figure again. Doesnt it give you a warm feeling inside?

Question now is, 'what will 190k buy me?'

The answer? Anything I want. The car already comes with A/C, electric windows, carpets, radio. Thats 5-0 to the Supra from the start.

Comfort? with 190k burning a hole in your pocket, there is a world of comfort available. I can make the car much more comfortable than any Aston Martin could ever be.

With the change? I can make it faster than any Ferrari could ever be. And yes, that includes the F1 Ferrari. The fastest recorded Supra dynoed at 1232hp to the wheels, and ran a 7.98 1/4 mile. And its still a Supra, not a drag car in a Supra shell.

Handling? Well, the Supra is already a proven track/race car. Spend about 15k on the suspension etc, youre looking at a car that will laugh at Ferraris while it overtakes them.

Desirability is a matter of opinion. Personally, Id desire a car that has been hand built by me to my standards and tastes more than one which has rolled off an Italian production line with a prancing horse on the bonnet.

Go ahead, pay 200k for a badge, but itll be you who appears like a moron, not the guy who has everything he could ever want out of a car just because instead of a number, it says 'Supra' on the back.

Again, the 'you' isnt a personal reference. Obviously I wouldnt call anyone with an opinion a moron, particularly when theyre good people.
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

Look filthy rich.. Yup, that's why I'd buy an exotic... :roll:

Imagine this: you have a modified 1997 Eclipse that can do 0-100kmh in 4 seconds. Just for the sake of argument. It cost you 200000USD to get it to that speed, as Bronco made that rule. And I have my 'wimpy' Ferrari 575M. So if you BEAT me, what kick can you get out of it, as your car COSTS the same??!! What else gives you the kick from beating an exotic, if it's not the mere fact that your car costs 5 times less? I just don't get it, how you don't see that point.

Grez, in real life you got no use for your Supra with 2000HP - are you planning to get yours to that much power? I picked the 575m just as an example of a car that costs similar money. I like the Aston DB9 very much tbh, which is less money. This time your arguments didn't convince me, m8, and they often do! But all in all, I never said I actually will buy a car for myself for 200000k! I think half that much can give me enough for my daily ride in every departmetn (me thinking of some V10 M5 or RS6 - :P) And the other 100000 left - well, I'll get some kit car and abuse the shiz out of it on a real race track. :wink:

Another point on branding: it's not ok for me to want a prancing horse on the bonnet, but it's ok for all the tuning freaks *in a nice way* to want the kit from Veilside, Exhaust from Remos, Brakes from brembo, K&N filter, KKK turbos and so forth... Well, Ferrari is packed with the same range of brands, and of course there is a premium. But I can justify that premium in some respect. I can't do the same for the Skyline @ 200000USD! Sorry. The Ferrari is an art, and people at Pininfarina know a bit more on car design than I do.

PS. Any idea on what is the bottom line price for that 2000hp+ supra? I'm realy curious.
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

Carerra GT > all

Who cares about saving money, when you're rich you don't have to. And it has a little spoiler that goes up when you go fast!
Abdi
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Abdi »

i dont think you can afford a Carrera GT with $200k :), they are around $400k + :P sorry mate lol
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

nope the Carrera GT is far out of the range.
friday I saw a Topgear specail about racing cars, how to use em etc.

and in the end Jezza (Clackson) drove a brittish R33 GTR with 1000 BHP.
it was horrible fast on a dragstrip but also on a circuit. they said (at the time of the shoot, was a few years old) it was the fastest car in the UK.
It did 0-100 Kmh in 2.9 sec. and 0-300 KMH in 12.5, max of 345 KMH
the total price was 150.000 and it was now for sale for 50.000 so that's one thing Urq said! you never get your money back. but then again no car does. you have to have a really special car to get your full money back or more cause a normal 360 modena will also drop in value!

I personally would go for a M5 or a RS6, and modify that.....
then you have a blistering fast executive saloon, with all the comfort you want...

but for looks....
I can go like :shock: Drool :shock: when standing next to a Skyline R34 aswell as a Ferrari 355 or a Aston Martin.
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

Bah, Ferarri 575M then. Can't say I've ever seen a Ferarri outrun by a M3 or a station wagon either :P
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

My point wasnt about being faster. My point was that the option of being better than a Ferrari in every way was possible.

For 190k, I could make the car more comfortable, faster, more attractive, or a combination of all 3.

Just for thought:

John Morgan has an 800bhp Supra that runs 10s. Yet, it still has full leather interior, A/C etc. Can a Ferrari F40 boast that? And yes, it did cost him less than 200k to do that.

Return to “The Cars”