Popular Japanese cars during the 80's - 90's

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Popular Japanese cars during the 80's - 90's

Post by korge »

Okay, I dont know anything when it comes to cars. I like them, but I dont read books and magazines on them. I am doing a little research but I need some help to get in the right direction. I need to know what the most popular cars were during the decade listed. This is everything from drifters, to tuners. I want to know everything. I know you guys know a bunch about cars and Japanese pop culture in general as well.

Btw, Im not interested in cars from 2000 +. Latest models I would care about are around maybe 1998 at most.

Hope this works out like I hope. :lol:
korge
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Popular Japanese cars during the 80's - 90's

Post by Zero260 »

A full list of these cars would be pretty big. Off the top of my head:

Nissan:
180SX
Fairlady Z (S30, S130, Z31, Z32) aka (240Z, 280ZX, 300ZX)
Silvia (S13, S14, S15)
Skyline (R31, R32, R33) R34 was 1998+ so I'm assuming that's out?

Toyota:
AE86 Trueno
MR2 (AW10/AW11, SW20/SW21)
Supra (Mark III, Mark IV)
Chaser
Soarer
Alteza (again, 1998+)

Mazda:
RX-7 (FC, FD)
MX-5

Honda:
Prelude (BB4, BB6)
Integra Type R
NSX
Civic
CRX

Subaru:
Impreza WRX STI (GC)

Misubishi:
Lancer Evolution (I - IV) Though, I think you'd only need to include IV. V is 1998+ but would be cool to include.

Ah, I can't think of anymore right now... I'll update this post if I think of more.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Zero260 wrote: MR2 (AW11)
fix'd

:mrgreen:
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

For what it's worth, none of those cars were particularly popular during the time they were sold. While they have a huge fanbase nowadays, in the 90s it was still about old Fords and Vauxhalls. Out of all the kids in our school, we were the only ones that liked Japanese cars, and that was largely because my friends dad drove a MKIII Supra. Like Picasso, most of those cars listed only became popular after their death.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:For what it's worth, none of those cars were particularly popular during the time they were sold. While they have a huge fanbase nowadays, in the 90s it was still about old Fords and Vauxhalls. Out of all the kids in our school, we were the only ones that liked Japanese cars, and that was largely because my friends dad drove a MKIII Supra. Like Picasso, most of those cars listed only became popular after their death.
Thats the answer I was looking for.

However, I want to know, What cars were popular IN Japan at this time, not internationally. For instance, you see all the Manga and Anime with the 280zx and the AE86. Is this really what was popular back then in Japan?

These are the cars Im looking for. :)
korge
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Owned again. I feel useful...
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Zero260 - Not at all mate, your post does outline a lot of popular JDM cars.

At the time, I would go for a safe bet with equivalents of EUDM cars. I would have said the 180SX, given the popularity of the RS turbo and Porsche 944 over here would have been popular. The Eunos Roadster, as it's still the best selling two-seater of all time. It's competitor, the AW11 was also popular. The Lancer Evo's I'm not so sure, the early cars were basically a Proton, but the III was a big-hitter. The Corolla I wouldn't say was a popular car at the time, though. I think you could pretty much pluck any car from that list of Zeros and argue it's case, they were JDM cars afterall. Apart from the NSX. It never really took off anywhere, which is a shame. :(
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

The NSX was gorgeous, and probably handled/handles wonderfully, but it was woefully underspecced. Slower than an E36 BMW M3 that cost around 2/3s as much? No thanks...
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

During the 80s and 90s.....hmmmm....nope, can't think of any that were actually popular here. Although the R32 GT-R would probably be the most famous for obliterating the Fords and Holdens in its first year of Aussie touring cars.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

steelsnake00 wrote:The NSX was gorgeous, and probably handled/handles wonderfully, but it was woefully underspecced. Slower than an E36 BMW M3 that cost around 2/3s as much? No thanks...
But it would have pulled the pants of that E36 (an already great handler)down around a track, and that was always the point. :P Unfortunately, having a chassis designed by one of the greatest racing drivers ever, and one of the most responsive N/A engine means nothing to 95% of the buying public, who only want to quote bhp and 0-60 figures down the pub. I'm glad it died its' death to be honest, and that Honda didn't whore it out to the US market like Nissan did with the Z cars.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:But it would have pulled the pants of that E36 (an already great handler)down around a track, and that was always the point. :P
Depends on the speed of the track. A stock E36 can pull around an 8.10 around the 'ring with a good driver, so I'd hazard a guess that around long, fast tracks, the M3 will be a smidgin quicker, whilst shorter, handling circuits would see the NSX come out on top.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

That's not particularly quick, I can think of 3 near-stock powered MX5s that can comfotably pull that kind of time (mine included :P ), and through gearing these cars will top out at ~137mph, and won't reach those speeds anywhere near as quick as an M3 would. Though the 'Ring is a fast paced circuit, faster cars very rarely means faster laps.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

True, but thats a time comparable with a 500bhp viper and a 507bhp M6, faster than an IS-F, C63 AMG and Ferrari 335, all driven by professional drivers. A non -R NSX manages about a 8.30.

8.10 in an MX-5 is impressive. I barely managed to drop into the 8 minutes in a 400BHP S2, and managed a 8.40 on a 160bhp bike, and I'm not exactly a slouch as a rider.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

You have to be careful where that information comes from though, I'd struggle to believe an NSX can only hit an 8min 30 second full-lap. Afterall, a full lap is supposedly BTG +16 secs for the straight, meaning that, BTG our lowly hairdressers cars are quicker than an NSX.

I'm hoping for a sub-8 with cut-slicks. :D I can't really say much on bikes based on experience, I've certainly never ridden one round there. But some sections the bikes seem massively slow, I can only guess it's due to the different 'racing line' styles. But there doesn't seem to be many bikers who can churn out a decent lap time, so an 8.40 is certainly impressive from my point of view, too. I know I couldn't pilot a bike to that kind of time. :D
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

A sub-8 on that kind of power would be immensively impressive. If I remember correctly, EVO magazine couldn't even get their E36 M3 (stripped, caged, chipped, coilovers, AP Racing brakes and R888's) round in under 8, and that was very fast (having seen it with its new owner around the track at Donnington during the national saloon car champs).

The disadvantage with doing the 'ring on bikes is the intensity and camber of the corners. It's very hard to ride fast through negative camber corners due to unballancing effect of such riding. In terms of acceleration, braking, et cetera, bikes will almost always top cars (0-60 in 3 seconds, 0-150 in not much over 14), but around the corners, regardless of how shallow, or on cambered straights, you really have to watch your speed on a bike as coming off is no fun- especially at 140mph 6 feet from an amco.
240sxlover
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 240sxlover »

A lot!

Honda Civic '92
Honda CR-X '92
Honda NS-X '90
Honda Prelude '92
Honda S2000 '99
Mazda Carol '89
Mazda MX-5 '89
Mazda MX-6 '88
Mazda RX-7 '86
Mitsubishi Lancer '92
Nissan 240SX '92
Nissan 300ZX '83
Nissan Micra '82
Nissan Primera '90
Nissan Skyline '81
Subaru Impreza '93
Toyota Corolla '85
Toyota Supra '97
Toyota Yaris '99
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Not sure the NS-X is exactly a popular car- you would have seen that discussed above if you'd bothered to read the thread before you posted. The 240 was never sold in Japan and was only built for the export market, it also was completely gutless- 180SX/200SX maybe.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Basicly all the cars he mentioned are not JDM cars, the majority of them are the euro/us badges, and not the JDM versions
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

steelsnake00 wrote:The 240 was never sold in Japan and was only built for the export market, it also was completely gutless- 180SX/200SX maybe.
well i think the forum is based on japanese manufacturers, so it works, anyways those cars should really be referred to as S13, tahts probably the most racogniazable way to look at it, now to tell if its left hand drive or right hand, then thats where the 240 and 180 come in :mrgreen:
Instagram @SupraHKS
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

LOL the 240SX had a truck engine vs the 180SX!!

240SX is LHD and apart from the chassis very different to the 180SX. Unless modified the suspension on the 240SX was crap. It's not even comparable to the 180SX in most parts.

The '86 FC RX-7 wasn't the best version either, the 89-91 Series 5 was a much more accomplished version, better handling and much better motor.

Also seeing as this includes the 90's what about the RX-7 FD series 6-8. The picks of the bunch being the Series 6 RX-7 SP (road going race car) and the Series 8 special editions.

Oops just noticed Zero posted those ;)
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

Kaerar wrote:LOL the 240SX had a truck engine vs the 180SX!!

240SX is LHD and apart from the chassis very different to the 180SX. Unless modified the suspension on the 240SX was crap. It's not even comparable to the 180SX in most parts.

The '86 FC RX-7 wasn't the best version either, the 89-91 Series 5 was a much more accomplished version, better handling and much better motor.

Also seeing as this includes the 90's what about the RX-7 FD series 6-8. The picks of the bunch being the Series 6 RX-7 SP (road going race car) and the Series 8 special editions.

Oops just noticed Zero posted those ;)
im probably gunna get a 240sx as my first car, cheap and is something i can drift in.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Zotic+ wrote:im probably gunna get a 240sx as my first car, cheap and is something i can kill myself trying to drift in.
Fix'd. :D
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Zotic+ wrote:im probably gunna get a 240sx as my first car, cheap and is something i can drift in.
LOL. The balance of the S13 chassis is great for drifting, but while it's good, you'll learn more from other cars. I know I found that I learned a lot more from drifting the RX-7 as it's balance was much closer to the centre of the car instead of over the front wheels. This means you'll need a much greater level of throttle and brake control to keep the transitions smooth and fast. Going from the RX back to an S13 made the S13 feel like childsplay, hell even the R32 GTR (modded to RWD) I drifted was easy in comparison. You might find it better to get a car that'll teach you the intricacies of drifting rather than one that will do it all for you...
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

Kaerar wrote:
Zotic+ wrote:im probably gunna get a 240sx as my first car, cheap and is something i can drift in.
LOL. The balance of the S13 chassis is great for drifting, but while it's good, you'll learn more from other cars. I know I found that I learned a lot more from drifting the RX-7 as it's balance was much closer to the centre of the car instead of over the front wheels. This means you'll need a much greater level of throttle and brake control to keep the transitions smooth and fast. Going from the RX back to an S13 made the S13 feel like childsplay, hell even the R32 GTR (modded to RWD) I drifted was easy in comparison. You might find it better to get a car that'll teach you the intricacies of drifting rather than one that will do it all for you...
ya, FD3s used is aroun 10k-15k+
but i dont know about FC3S, there like 6k, so i guess either the s13 or the FC, what about a S14?

also this may seem a little unrealistic but check this site out http://www.carontrack.com/toyota/index.shtml used cars from japan, they ship here. there is a bunch of levins and other cars that are only for japan
Instagram @SupraHKS

Return to “The Cars”