NFS Carbon - Darius meets his match?

2006 Need for Speed Carbon
jeffareid
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

NFS Carbon - Darius meets his match?

Post by jeffareid »

or does he? I used the fastest car in Carbon, the Cop Z06, with infinite nitrous, against Darius, in the final two races of career. Being significantly faster than a players Audi Lemans, you'd think this would be a cakewalk, but the AI in most racing games have the advantage that the rules of physics don't apply to them. Bottom line, Darius has no problem keeping up with the Cop Z06 in the first of the two events, the circuit race (although speedbreaker might be enough to truly put Darius away), although I didn't have to resort to using speedbreaker. In the final canyon duel event, Darius seems to slow down unexpectedly at a few spots along the way, regardless of which car the player is using, perhaps Darius is using his cell phone and gets distracted.

Anyway, here's the video, the cayon clip is short due to the early pass.

http://jeffareid.net/nfsc/ncdrcz6.wmv

For comparason, here's the circuit race using a near stock Lancer with only street tires and street nitrous, which will seem like slow motion, or could that be the speedbreaker usage?

http://jeffareid.net/nfsc/ncdrlnc.wmv
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: NFS Carbon - Darius meets his match?

Post by vellu »

Doesn't matter what car you drive in Carbon, the AI always matches your performance. It's just how the game is set up. Most noticeably apparent if one uses cheats to buy/build a car with max specs at beginning of the career mode, doesn't help at all. The "newbie" opponents can match your speed no problemo...

As far as Darius slowing in Canyon, that's just poor AI control I suppose (too heavy braking points in certain corners).
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

That is not necesary true. I raced the guy in the rx8 with a dodge charger and i manged to take the 10 seconds advantage rather easily. The audi imight be overspece'd, but if the oponent beat's you it is because he cans.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Some cars do have a build in advantage of the AI cars so it makes the "wrong" match
Most noteble are the Hero cars.
In NFS MW it was easier to win races with the M3 GTR while it was not at all the fastest.

But then there is still the Catch Up system they EA came up with.
No matter what stupid crash AI makes it can retake a 15 second in no time, even tough you are already doing max speed, it can out perform and out handle you (when AI is out of sight)
The system started in NFS Underground, and that mixed with adaptive traffic (traffic spawns there where they predict you will be) the Traffic system could be fooled by a sudden switch of lanes before the side street.
But the Catch up system was alot harder to fool or cheat,
jeffareid
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffareid »

TheStig wrote:In NFS MW it was easier to win races with the M3 GTR while it was not at all the fastest.
I started with Cobalt SS, then just used each Blacklist member's car for the next series (with the exception of pursuits, where I avoided the lighter cars like the Elise).
But then there is still the Catch Up system they EA came up with. No matter what stupid crash AI makes it can retake a 15 second in no time, even tough you are already doing max speed, it can out perform and out handle you( when AI is out of sight) The system started in NFS Underground.
I only found catch up mode to be an issue with Underground, but there was a way to somewhat defeat it in circuit or sprint mode, by limiting your cars top speed, the AI's top speed would be limited also, reducing their catch up speed. A maxed out Miata with stock transmission would work. Drag seemed to be fixed peformance, you couldn't win in "hard" mode with the Miata, but you could with the RX7.

Back to Carbon, the AI seemed to be programmed to slow down at some key spots, to let the player win. I only recall 3 "tough" events, Wolf canyon run, and Darius in the city or canyon, and Darius city seems to be the hardest. The Cop Z06 is simply faster than Darius in the canyon event, and the cop z06 or regular z06 will pass Wolf at the start, although it's more fun to closely follow Wolf and watch him crash near the end.
Last edited by jeffareid on 30 Jul 2008, 00:31, edited 2 times in total.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

jeffareid wrote: I only found catch up mode to be an issue with Undergroun, but there was a way to somewhat defeat it in circuit or drift mode, by limiting your cars top speed, the AI's top speed would be limited also, reducing their catch up speed. A maxed out Miata with stock transmission would work. Drag seemed to be fixed peformance, you couldn't win in "hard" mode with the Miata, but you could with the RX7.
For some reason if you raced a stock RX7 with nitro you could win hard races with more ease ( I remember 1 race where I used alot of cars to win the race in several careers I played, all cars where maxed out and I could hardly win and often lost (it was a 6 lap race near the airport (U1 is what I am talking about not U2's airport :wink: ))
But when I used a stock RX7 the opponents could not keep up and It was a fairly easy race, also because at low speeds it was easier to avoid the traffic, and you did not loose so much speed.

Never had any problems with drifting, I just used a Imprezza and 1 driftking after a other, and left the AI in the dust cause they in general did not get much higher then 1/10 of what I got.
jeffareid
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffareid »

TheStig wrote:
jeffareid wrote: I only found catch up mode to be an issue with Undergroun, but there was a way to somewhat defeat it in circuit or drift mode
Never had any problems with drifting.
Brain fade on my part. I meant circuit and sprint. I found I could use the Miata or RX7 well enough to win the drift events, even though those cars weren't great for drifting. A maxed out RX7 is only a bit faster than a maxed out Miata in circuit and sprint, but the RX7 is much better in drag. For stock cars, the RX7 is the fastest (in spite of the Skyline's performance bars, it was down on top speed as a stock car).
bmwm3gtrnfsmw
Ricer
Ricer

Post by bmwm3gtrnfsmw »

Darius is quite a challenge.The first time I challenged him,I had a Ford GT and I beat him.
I also beat him with a Murcielago, Corvette Z06,and SLR Mclaren. The Corvette really works like a juggernaut.
U can easily win canyon duels.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

The Corvette is indeed a machine with acceleration to boot, which, thankfully, compensated for its atrocious handling. Winning Darius in the Canyon is almost a walk in the park.

You can easily win Darius if you know the Canyon map well. With that said, the Vette isn't my cup of tea. :)

Just my 2 cents worth.
jeffareid
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffareid »

Andre_online wrote:The Corvette is indeed a machine with acceleration to boot, which, thankfully, compensated for its atrocious handling.
The Z06 is fast, but this thread is about the even faster still Cop Z06, which has great handling and a bit more acceleration than the standard Z06, making it the fastest car in Carbon. It's a shame that you need to use a trainer to unlock the Cop Z06; would have been nice to unlock it as a bonus car (the Palmont PD2 in the normal bonus list is not the fast one).
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

It's considered a cheat using that car online.. It's not exactly the fastest car there anyway. I've used the R8 many times to smoke it. :)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Andre_online wrote:.. the Vette isn't my cup of tea. :)
Seriously? Aren't you at a huge disadvantage in places like Dover, Main, Kempton, Salazar, Ocean, heck Waterfront, Mission, Petersburg, any speedtrap.. the list goes on and on..? Or do you just avoid those and stick to the tight courses?

IMHO you gotta be able to drive the Vette well to be truly competitive. Granted, there are a lot of crap Vette drivers who can be beaten with the Audi, Lancer, Ford GT or any half decent car (and isn't that fun!), but a Vette driven well is unbeatable at a whole swag of courses.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Nah, I use My Evo to trash all the Vettes and Audi. I race online often too.. If you wanna come find me if you wantto, and I'll trash you in my Evo. ;)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

I'm pretty handy with Evo too. And Audi. And Vette. And Ford. And etc. IMO you're racing the wrong guys if you're consistently beating Vettes with an Evo, particularly on that list of 'Vette tracks' I reeled off before.

I'm on PS3 unfortunately, but I'm figuring to reinstall for PC soon.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

I usually race in Unranked. I generally prefer no NOS + no collision race to prevent cheaters from coming in (usually they go for the Ranked rooms). Well, I'm not exactly that good of a racer, but I can consider myself above average. Image

I've beaten Vette players whose OXP are above 100 with my Evo, and I didn't just win them just on tight tracks; I've won plenty of races against Vette players on Mission Street, Petersburg Dam, Dover Street and Ocean View. My average time (no NOS) in these tracks are 1.24.xx, 1.27.xx, 2.33.xx and 2.54.xx respectively. :)

I'm more of a sprinter person, and I skip Speedtrap races (unless I have the mood to, and I'll lose happily in my Evo). As far as other Vette tracks go - tracks like Salazar Street and Waterfront Road - it's all based on luck. If I'm lucky, I'd win. :)

I used to be an all-Audi guy, but one person showed me an alternative, and I just fell in love with the Evo. In fact, it's way more nimble than any other tier 3 cars I've driven in Carbon. Of course, speed has to be compromised... a good compromise. Image
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

i LOVE the evo! my most fav in carbon and i absolutely HATE vette's steering... i just CANNOT beat that M3 GTR with Cross' Vette in that challenge... after 50 tries, i beat him with 12 points! left!!!
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

GT!!! Hope I've proved you on my Evo. You're still a great racer man. :)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Yep, for an Evo, yours is fast, I gotta admit. My Vette is still faster tho. :P
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Definitely.. No doubt about it. :)
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

lol

I beat Angie and Kenji with a stock RX-8 for the first time you race them, and beat Wolf with a stock RX-7

The second time, I beat Angie and Kenji with a street-package RX-7, but Wolf proved a challenge, so I just unlocked the skyline, and whipped him by 43,000 points...

Still, the Evo and Skyline are my favoutie cars, followed my the Audi, Corvette and 350Z
oh snap
Preciptions
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Preciptions »

I won kenji with the stock RX-8
I took his car and won Angie with it
Pretty easy I took her car too... and won Wolf with the RX-8 I used to beat Kenji with!
Those guys were just a waste of time, except the last guy with the Lemans Quattro, I used the SLR to beat him down
I unlocked a lot of cars by defeating them
Get The Bleach!
RazTaz11
Ricer
Ricer

Post by RazTaz11 »

Kenji - Stock RX-8
Angie - Mustang
Wolf - RX-7
Darius - SLR
Fasckira
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Fasckira »

I found the bosses stupidly easy - I beat Darius with a semi tuned GTR by 10 seconds on the circuit and overtook him about 45% way down the canyon - but found the Racewar on Angies turf to be the hardest race in the game. It seemed to be no matter how I tuned my GTR I still got whopped by 1 car each time which seemed to keep a steady 2 second lead each time.

Even now Im still convinced that I only passed that race in the end by fluke as opposed to actual skill, even though I can whip all the other races easily. :(
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

most of time i end up with having to beat darius in a Skyline or Evo, sometimes its 350 z or Supra, but its all because of i cant manage money for shiznit in carbon and basically end up HAVING to buy a tuner car since they are so cheap :lol: then tune it and count on him screwing up at some point

Return to “Carbon”