NFSPU: LAN game

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, Need for Speed Porsche, Need for Speed High Stakes and older
wmbatts
Stock
Stock

NFSPU: LAN game

Post by wmbatts »

I'm trying to set up a Lan game on my home network. I have 2 pc connected through a Linksys 4 port router/switch. What neccesary settings do I need to make to my network because currently, my 2 pc can't 'see' each other while NFSPU is running on both machines. My network works fine otherwise just not when running NFSPU. TIA!
Winston
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Winston »

I think the "LAN Games" mode requires that you use IPX/SPX compatible protocol, but if your network is set up with TCP/IP, and there is no firewall between the two computers, you should be able to use the peer-to-peer multiplayer mode of NFS PU. Make sure to take a note of the current IP address* of the first computer before proceeding.

Start the game in multiplayer on the first computer, and select "peer-to-peer IP", and click on the "Create" button. A screen appears with a list of players, and buttons for setting up the game. In addition, you will have a choice of two methods for data transfer: Input Exchange (low latency) and Positional (high latency). I don't know enough about this to be able to tell you which mode to choose, but you can test both, and see which one works best (or maybe someone else will post a reply here to help you out). On the other computer, start in the same "peer-to-peer IP" mode, but do not click on the "Create" button here. Instead, type in the IP address of the first computer in the field where it says "IP address", and click "Connect". When connected, you will get a similar image on screen as on the first computer, and you can now select/set up your cars, location etc. on both computers. On the second computer, click on the "Ready" button, and on the first computer you can now click on "Race" when you see both players as "ready" in the players list. The game will load, and you're ready to race each other! ;)

This method works fine on my network of two computers, connected via an SMC Barricade 4-port broadband router, even while another application on one computer was using the internet. Hopefully it will work for you as well. Good luck!

* To find out your current IP on the first computer, simply start an MS-DOS Command Prompt in Windows (usually Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt), and type the command "ipconfig" (without the quotes) and press the enter key.
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

I could be wrong, but I think you need 2 CD keys for each computer on your LAN.

Return to “Older Need for Speed Games”