Hot Pursuit: Worthy Of Need for Speed Title?

Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Hot Pursuit: Worthy Of Need for Speed Title?

Post by Bojan »

I've recently attended a Need for Speed Hot Pursuit media day at Criteriongames where I got my hands on the full and unlocked game. Just how good of a job Criterion's attempt at a Need for Speed game is? As a long time Need for Speed fan I might have a different view of the game as the mainstream gaming press and if you're interested, I've summed up my thoughts on the game in an article titled Hot Pursuit: Worthy Of Need for Speed Title.

If you're too lazy to read the whole thing, I have the closing words right here:
...once you get past the arcade handling you'll soon start paying attention to the cars, the environments and the incredible amount of detail in the game. And once you master the controls and start beating your friends' times you'll find out the game is not just fun at first glance but has enough value to keep playing. And that makes it worthy of the title.
Interested in the rest? Click here
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Hot Pursuit: Worthy Of Need for Speed Title?

Post by YaelDjiel »

Great article bojan, nice work
You made me a bit sceptical though.. but as i havent really read or watched anything else, i'll just wait a bit more and just give it a go :)
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Post by [T][U][N][3][R] »

Considering that Need For Speed wasn't worthy of itself in the past years I'd say yeah f*ck it, why not. But Hot Pursuit ain't exactly a 2010 racing game.. sure the graphics are awesome, sure the gameplay is epic but considering that they've cut out most features from older NFS games (customization and such) I would expect at least a huge map like Midnight Club LA, a huge car showcase like Forza 3 and, well, something to keep me motivated when playing. I don't know, I mean... the game is good but I wouldn't pay 60$ for it since I'll probably get bored of it after 2 weeks or so...

Oh and that Speedbook / Autolog / Whatever thing, pointless really. 1 cause it's for lazy people and 2 because we all know how well EA's multiplayer games work :mrgreen: :lol:
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Nice article Bojan, very interesting to read your opinion. :)

I'm still waiting for the "PC demo", once that is "released" I can will finally have my opinion about Hot Pursuit 2010. It sure looks good, the question is, does it handle good? I'm a bit sceptical, especially because I've seen other people "complaining" about how heavy the cars feel, so I really don't know what to expect. I played Burnout Paradise and loved the handling, but for a game like this, with such exotic machines and gaming world, I would prefer something less arcade, less "pedal to the metal", "super blur", "massive crash" (pretty much like Burnout). I know it will be arcade, obviously, but how? I can't wait to play. :)

Now, to the title of the article. "Hot Pursuit: Worthy Of Need for Speed Title?"

I guess that in the end, this is really up to each player's opinion about what is Need for Speed (as you point out when saying "So what really defines a Need for Speed? For me..."). Some years ago I wouldn't have problems defining a "Need for Speed" game, but so much has changed, and the franchise has taken so many directions, that it is hard to say what is NFS.

Maybe you should have written something like: "Hot Pursuit: Worth the Money?" :mrgreen:
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

There are some other points which make the game good and also a few points where it could really improve. Wasn't thinking of writing another article with all the reviews out already, but if you guys are interested I could give it a shot.

BTW Hydro regarding the handling unless you're willing to give it a shot on the longer run, I'm pretty sure you're gonna hate it as it's just so arcade. Once you get used to it however your opinion might change.
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by reputated »

i havent been able to play the demo being a pc gamer but i have high hopes from this one. just an hour more to go!!!!!
Some pursue happpiness; others create it
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

I heard driving engine is similar to Burnout Paradise...

Im pretty convinced, the "straight" and "drift" thing is so Burnout Paradise.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

@Bojan: I don't really read reviews anymore, I prefer to see what people think on forums, like in here, or see home-made video reviews on YouTube than to read a review on a "professional" site. Stopped trusting those things a long time ago...

I would like to see you write something about the game, good things, bad things, where it could have been improved, etc. I know you are a big NFS fan, and I still remember how good you said Undercover was ( :P ), even though the game was... well let's not talk about it, or the swearing filter will start working. :mrgreen:

I'm definitely going to try Hot Pursuit for a long time. All games require some "training" to get used to, and racing games are no exception. I don't intend to install it, play 10 minutes and delete it. Even if I don't like the handling at first, I will keep playing, trying other cars and so on. Unless it is really bad, like Undercover (even though I finished that one).
honke
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by honke »

first i keep on playing need for speed world.
because aim a little skeptic about the game.
its just again a old nfs hot Pursuit in a new jacket.
its getting real boring. I think a lot off players agree with me.

I think a lot off player want to see more tuning and customizing in the game
so you can tweak the performance. and can make it your own car
with handling

more things like drift and drag back. and game play more like nfs world.
with free world. and a little story mode its always nice,

some people saying need for speed world is boring.
but I disagree because if the join a team. are drive for the leaderboard.
it’s a lot off fun. ok there can be add more continent but like drift and drag.
but in ask marc episode 7 the are talking about it already. so its going to be
a lot more fun than hot pursuit I personally think.
Last edited by honke on 15 Nov 2010, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
AJ_Lethal
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AJ_Lethal »

Nice article, Bojan. Since 2003 the whole definition of NFS became subjective and abstract.

Now i gotta see if the Wii version of HP lives up to the "Hot Pursuit" name... or should be rebadged to "Nitro 2"
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

me kinda seeing the roots of need for speed lie in the old hot pursuit games, i think this game is worth it. i'll be buying it or else it will be at the top of my christmas wishlist. or second on it at least.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

@honke:
I've said this countless times in all over the internet in different forums or blog comments, but YOU and your "friends" are the "new crowd" to Need For Speed... who want the things like tuning and free roaming and customization...

but that is NOT what "Need For Speed" was... that's what "Underground" was...

and I still stand by this even now, when I say Underground "did not deserve the Need For Speed name" as well as all the following in the franchise... they just tagged NFS along with it, pretty much like how Tom Clancy's is in recent games...

EA should've released them as a franchise on their own... like EA's Underground, Underground 2, Underground: Most Wanted, or Underground: Carbon... and Pro Street and Shift should be another on their own as a more "simulation" type games... none of those were truly "Need For Speed" and they honestly don't deserve the franchise title... *don't even mention Undercover...*

Need For Speed has been about exotics, pure and simple, no body kits, no performance upgrades, no vinyls to ruin the already amazing designs, and all this set in an exotic environment that's just in every car fanatic's dream... and THIS has just brought it back to this very concept again... and you'd be surprised by how many actually WANT this MORE than your "tuner" crowd... and I can tell you're too young to be introduced to the series after Underground, that you feel NO attachment towards the original Hot Pursuit, or High Stakes *which in my humble opinion, were THE BEST Need For Speed, still to this day*

"tuning" is a thing of the past now... it was a fad started by Fast and the Furious... and it's had its days, but it's over now... even the Movie industry stopped with the cliche'd tuner underground racing setting... it's just become lamer as time went on... especially now, how EA recycles the models all the time... there's no point anymore, no originality, and it'll only taint the Need For Speed name further... look how bad Undercover turned out... World' is basically a free multiplayer remake of Most Wanted and Carbon mashed up together with newer cars... nothing else...

now back to topic at hand, I agree with Bojan... I was horrified by the physics at first, but after getting used to it, I think it's an overall amazing game, and I honestly look forward to playing it
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Post by [T][U][N][3][R] »

Well Criterion clearly didn't disappoint at one part: Just like Burnout it's incredibly well optimized on PC. I wasn't expecting my shiznit 9400GT to even run it on the lowest, but it turns out it runs perfectly at maximum :D

Ok fine it's awesome leave me alone...
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

I have 1 word: AWESOMENESS

Game is flawlessly optimized for PC, and jesus! I can't talk all the stuff in a short paragraph, but THIS IS THE REAL RETURN TO ROOTS. Don't miss your chance, buy it, I have the Limited Edition I can't stop thinking the elite game Criteron has done with this. The graphics are just amazing, nothing to say there, car selection is just pure awesomeness, the music, SeaCrest County design and its regions....omg I just can't hold my breath, this is by far the definitive OLD SCHOOL return, seriously .... and online pursuits are like x10 times better ;)

The only "complain" I have is the colorless manual book but hey! The important thing is the disc and what's inside of it, not the exterior hehe

Awesome, I'll play till....forever hehehe

Thanks Criterion for delivering such a great GREAT game! =D>

=D> =D>
Last edited by xturbo on 18 Nov 2010, 06:54, edited 1 time in total.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

^^^^ I am so tempted to go and buy the Limited Edition! But I need to hold on, first I must play the game and see if it is worth the money. I hope the LE keeps around for some more time, at least until December 11th (that's my birthday - I'm turning 20, oh god xD).

@[T][N][3][R]: 9400GT and everything maxed out? Well then my 9600GT overclocked won't have any trouble. That's nice to hear, Burnout Paradise was indeed a very well optimized game. Ran at 60FPS all the time. =D>
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

I'm using an Intel Core i7 930 @3.7 GHz, 6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz + Nvidia MSI NX9600GT and game runs at 60FPS without any lag, only problem I see sometimes is that when I'm driving near to pines, I see some weird artifacting of the pine texture :S
EDIT: Fix was installing the Nvidia 260.99 drivers, and problem is gone :D!
EDIT 2: The cause of it seems to be the ALT+TABBING, just don't do it ;)

Anyways, game is just awesome online, can't stop, gotta go playing now lol

Return to “News”