SHIFT 2 Big And Detailed Preview

Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

SHIFT 2 Big And Detailed Preview

Post by Bojan »

Last week I got a chance to play SHIFT 2 Unleashed at a community event at EA UK. With two days of gameplay time I got a fairly good idea of what to expect in the final game. I've explained most of the features in detail in the article and I've got the closing thoughts right here if you're too lazy to read through:
All in all SHIFT 2 is better than it’s predecessor in pretty much all aspects, improving most of it’s shortcomings and adding more great content. On the racing experience I think it stands up to it’s biggest rivals, namely Forza and Gran Turismo, and even surpassing it in certain areas. While it maybe a bit short on content, it’s not a major problem and nothing that can’t be fixed with future DLC. PC users are getting the racing game of the year and I wouldn’t be too wrong if I said the same for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
Also I will still be answering questions about the game, if you have any, post them right here.

The complete SHIFT 2 Unleashed preview
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: SHIFT 2 Big And Detailed Preview

Post by YaelDjiel »

Great article Bojan, well done :)
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Indeed nice article Bojan. You detail a lot of things and with all those questions before, I pretty much know what SHIFT 2 is all about. =D>

I will just comment on some parts:

"Unfortunately not all tracks can be driven at night though." - I was hoping you could drive on all tracks during night time. Although I understand that creating a night version of a track isn't as simple as darkening the skies and bringing the lights on, I was hoping SMS would do that. How many tracks can you race at night then? Spa-Francorchamps for sure, but any others that you remember?

"There are 3 difficulty settings and even with that, the AI will adapt to your level, getting slower if you keep finishing below the podium or faster if you’re first all the time." - Catch up is present again. Not sure if it was in SHIFT 1, I remember finishing way ahead of the AI sometimes...

"And to help out even more, there is an open track where you can practice all you want. You can take any car (yes any, whether it’ll drift is another question) on any track." - So this "open track" is like a test ground for cars, where you can spin them around and just "play" with them all you want? A bit like what Ken Block does in his Gymkhana (but obviously without the jumps)?

"And while races itself are up to 5 laps (even the GT3 and GT1 events) the sheer volume of it makes the career quite lengthy." - No "endurance" races in the career? Like 10 or 20 laps events, even tough that's not endurance but sprint in real life? Well that's a shame. I don't mind short races, but this kind of game really needs longer and more realistic races.

"I’m also a bit disappointed that the FIA license didn’t bring in more authentic races, especially with addition of qualifying sessions, longer races, possibly with pitstops. And there’s also the lack of weather." - That will probably be present in SHIFT 3.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

I know Nordschleife is night, so is Dubai and I think Bathurst too. The most popular tracks usually have night mode.

About the AI, it will not get faster during race if you're way up in front. But it will get better over time if you keep finishing first.

The Nevada drift track announced yesterday is the open drift track and yea you can pretty much do what you want.

Not sure about endurances though, but the GT1/3 races are pretty short.

Oh right, one thing I forgot to mention about the game. Loading times on consoles are horrible.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Yeah I figured the most iconic circuits would have a night version. Gotta update the Wiki with that information once I have the game. :mrgreen:

Ah, I misunderstood you then. I thought the AI would be faster or slower on the track according to how fast or slow you would race (like in Hot Pursuit). So if they get better over time (assuming you are constantly faster than them), that's kind of a "learning AI". I like the idea, let's see how good it is. Getting the AI right in a racing game is very important in my opinion. Not absurdly fast neither too slow or too stupid. It will never be as good as a human racer, but at least they won't wreck you on purpose. Those type of players are a pain in the *** in EVERY racing game, including PC simulators. A 24/7 server in Race 07 without password is heaven for wreckers, they do everything they can to destroy a race. That includes car barriers in tight spots. :x

I hope there are some endurance events. In SHIFT there were some, not much though. I reckon most people don't want to race more than 5 or 6 laps. But you can set a Quick Race with the amount of laps you want, right? I've read something in one of the Q&A about 99 laps or something like that.
Lin0_5r
Stock
Stock

Post by Lin0_5r »

Looks good, I really don't care what anyone says until I try it out for myself-that will be the deciding factor for me. -Off topic @YaelDjiel -if that picture is you in that sig and profile picture, then you are exceptionally gorgeous with spectacular features. #justsaying
I will finish you at Modern Warfare 2
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

Lol :'D It's an actress, Rose McGowan :)
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by reputated »

Lin0_5r wrote:Off topic @YaelDjiel -if that picture is you in that sig and profile picture, then you are exceptionally gorgeous with spectacular features. #justsaying
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OMG! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some pursue happpiness; others create it
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Hi!

First of all, thanks for the review! ;)

I think that yesterday Endurance Races were announced... So that probably solves one of the items on wish list! ;)

By the way, anyone knows when the Digital Copy will be available for download? Thanks!

Cya all!

Rogério
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Visual customization is limited, so i take it that bodykits, rear wing removal etc are as taken as 'performance' mods?

(Speedhunters mentioned that you can remove spoilers on certain cars, for example 240SX...hopefully that includes most, if not all japanese tuner cars like S15 or R34...)

EDIT: IF the AI keeps getting better and better, and you still keep winning, do they reach a point where they stop getting better or do they eventually become perfect and beat you anyway? :P
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Post by [T][U][N][3][R] »

By the way does anybody else find it hilarious that, in an arcade / non realistic game like Hot Pursuit, Zondas can't race Bugattis but in a simulator they can? Iz funny.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Just because the Veyron has 1001 horsepower, it doesn't mean it will perform well. In fact the car can be slow on a track, since it doesn't use its power well. A Zonda can very well battle a Veyron. :)
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Veyron is heavy, big and too much acceleration and power means it wont do good on twisty tracks. Besides, Zonda is way too awesome to be beaten by a Veyron. :lol:
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Post by [T][U][N][3][R] »

ElvenAvenger wrote:Veyron is heavy, big and too much acceleration and power means it wont do good on twisty tracks. Besides, Zonda is way too awesome to be beaten by a Veyron. :lol:
Agreed ^^ Koenigsegg is the best though.

Return to “News”