Vista : Yes or No

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Vista : Yes or No

Post by korge »

Okay. My dad has it. Im thinking about using it but Im not so sure on its stability and compatibility with programs. I have a a lot of graphic, 3d, and audio programs that I use daily and need them to run, but if Vista doesnt support them, Itll only be too late when I reinstall Windows.

what is your opinion? Stick to Media Center or upgrade to vista?

And besides the layout and skin, what is the big deal?
korge
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

The big deal is that it has much more security, but i suggest you wait another 1-2 months till you go for Vista cuz maybe then it will have all drivers and stuff like that fixed and compatible
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I doubt I'll jump jumping on the Vista bandwagon anytime soon. To me it only looks like an 'improved' UID and other features that you don't really need.
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

No. I just read an article about a Swedish test of about 50 popular programs. Half of them doesn't work on Vista, while the programs I use partially work, but with bugs. So I'm gonna wait a while, maybe a few years... :P
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

im not using vista till there are games i want to play which only work with vista (did this too with XP, was using 98se for a long time :lol: )

i also need to consider having 2gb of ram before i install that crap :|
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Haven't tried the final version yet, but the RC1 seemed ok. I won't be getting the final version yet, perhaps next summer. I'll wait for more driver support and some real-life usage reviews.
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

Not switching to Vista any time soon.
lol wut
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Post by TheNoobofFerraris »

Its looks interesting but I doubt I will be getting my Pc upgraded to it anytime soon.
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I just installed RC2, and I absolutely hate the new "priviledged administrator" concept in Vista. EVERYTIME I want to install something, or make some other change like that, I get a popup message "Are you sure you want to install?" I clicked the installer didn't I? Those popups were extremely annoying, and there's no way to make them a "one-time-only" deal like it's possible to do with other System Settings Protectors.

That would probably my biggest pet peeve about Vista. My second one would be that even in Ultimate, some of the advance features available so easily in XP Pro are very well hidden. I also found that the security center alerts were very nonexistant. I had no antivirus installed, yet I got no alerts. I hope that got fixed in the final release.

Vista isn't for me. At least not until I have to have it. Just my two cents and a dime.
Lan.Evo.III
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Lan.Evo.III »

How much is Vista supiosed to be? Because I saw it in EB Games for like $190.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

You probably saw either Home Basic or Home Premium. Vista Enterprise costs US$300 (I think), and Vista Ultimate costs US$400.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I got the Home Basic upgrade for free. It's worth the nothingness, but not worth $190. (YESH my Vista is genuine)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

My Dad could probably nick a copy of Vista from his office, but I don't want it because our computer isn't that great, and I'm worried that it won't be able to handle it.

So I'm not going to get it until I buy a decent PC, and I have no idea when that will be . ..
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

prince1142003 wrote:You probably saw either Home Basic or Home Premium. Vista Enterprise costs US$300 (I think), and Vista Ultimate costs US$400.
Enterprise is only available to VLA customers, so you're not going to find it in any stores ...

The four versions available to the general public are:

Home Basic
Home Premium
Business
Ultimate
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I got a home premium DVD for $120 for someone i'm building a computer for. I might buy one for me...
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Is'nt it under 4.7 GBs? Why don't you just copy it?
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Copy it? How about the license (and product key)? Those have to be bought anyway.

Copying the dvd-media itself isn't much of use.
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

kinda late to post it here but anyways....i really dont care though.. cuz i got a genuine copy of vista home premium free with my laptop :mrgreen:
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Hey. Well, My XP OS got messed up (some virus on the C drive) so I ended up backing up my stuff and installing the Home Premium and I have to say, so far.. Im in love with thing. :D No bugs so far (just one related to a website).
korge
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

hell no til atleast june or aug.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Short answer: NO
Long answer: NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
:lol:
Vista has bad (or worst) security. Most of the stuff won't work. It takes 5 GB on disc :shock: and 1 GB of RAM :shock:. Your system won't be completely used (like all windows, but this is worse, I guess) because otherwise hardware wouldn't be sold. And if a lot of ppl buy vista, M$ will get even more money, seeing that was good, they will make new windows later, even more expencive. And that just keeps them getting money and keeps you drained.
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

^lol..thats a nice way to put it :lol:
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I bought vista home premium anyway.
ahmad0410
Professional
Professional

Post by ahmad0410 »

If Microsoft didnt continue making new OS, you will still be using Windows 3.0 now. Would you complain if a car company keep making new cars? I don't think so.

Its technological advancement. You need to go on with the flow of today's technology.

It will use 1GB of RAM? I don't think so. That's a requirement. And security, Vista has one of the best security features EVER.

And for sure, Microsoft won't make new OS just because seeing many people buying Vista. Even before Vista's launch, Microsoft has planned to make another OS, Windows Vienna, that will happen about 5 years from now.

What stuff won't work? All my stuff worked. Huh? WTF? it work? Coz there's this "Compability Mode" feature in Vista. Stuff won't work still? Vista's fault? Nah!! Go and tell the software's manufacturer to make their "stuff" compatible with Vista.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I still don't want to reinstall vista because it's jerky in every single game...

Return to “The Hardware & Software”