Signature Size Restrictions

Post everything you want the webmasters to know to make the site better.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Signature Size Restrictions

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

The max file size for signatures has been 50kb for as long as I've been here, which is, what, nearly four years, now. I know it's a courtesy to users with slower internet connections, but I think most people have at least something better than dial-up, anymore. According to Moore's Law, technology doubles every 18 months, so in the time I've been here, technology should have doubled over two times, now, so to keep up with the times, we should have at least a 200kb limit. :mrgreen: I'm willing to make a compromise, however, and suggest a 100kb limit. ;)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Signature Size Restrictions

Post by Bojan »

25 posts per page, 25 different users with 200kB signatures make what, 5MB?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Sure, but why? Besides animations the 550x120 sized image doesn't really need to be bigger (translates to about 95% jpg compression quality to be smaller than 50k).

And given the fact that one page of posts could be up to 25 signatures. Still a sizeable difference between 1250kb and 2500kb per page... (50 vs 100).

EDIT: Oh, our "mighty leader" beat me to it...
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

5Mb is too much for me every page. 256k... lol. It's unlimited though. But yeah, I set the quality to 10, which doesn't make much of a difference vs. 12 and it's like way under.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:The max file size for signatures has been 50kb for as long as I've been here, which is, what, nearly four years, now. I know it's a courtesy to users with slower internet connections, but I think most people have at least something better than dial-up, anymore. According to Moore's Law, technology doubles every 18 months, so in the time I've been here, technology should have doubled over two times, now, so to keep up with the times, we should have at least a 200kb limit. :mrgreen: I'm willing to make a compromise, however, and suggest a 100kb limit. ;)
That would be fine for me, but I have a couple of friends in Europe who have to pay for every MB they receive/send so that would suck for them, having to DL 5MB's because their internet isn't cheap. I dunno, maybe they already got unlimited internet. One of them did. =\
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Stereo wrote: That would be fine for me, but I have a couple of friends in Europe who have to pay for every MB they receive/send so that would suck for them, having to DL 5MB's because their internet isn't cheap. I dunno, maybe they already got unlimited internet. One of them did. =\
I've never heard of that. Where are they from? If I had that ISP, I'd block all the signatures and basically everything I could.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”