EA Gothenburg working on the next NFS

The news visible on the main page
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

EA Gothenburg working on the next NFS

Post by Hydro_PT »

While Criterion's Need For Speed: Most Wanted is less than a month away, EA is already thinking about the next game in the series. While no details about the game were released, it is known that the Swedish studio is focused on the Frostbite 2 engine, which was last used in Need For Speed: The Run and other games, such as Battlefield 3 and Medal of Honor: Warfighter. The studio is now hiring and this was in their job listings page:

Would you like to be a part of EA? Would you like to work on a game in the Need for Speed franchise? You now have the opportunity to become a part of EA Gothenburg and fulfil those two wishes!

If you have any ideas about this upcoming NFS, share them in the comments!
junior6at
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: EA Gothenburg working on the next NFS

Post by junior6at »

Pretty excited about this Swedish studio and what they've got in store. No opinion on the usage of Frostbite 2 engine as I haven't played TR or any other game that uses it. I'm hoping we get to see something fresh, I'm a little burnt out from these remakes.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

Swedish developers means two things things , epic roads and the alps perhaps this guys will be in charge of bringing need for speed back to its true roots but i wont keep my hopes up because frostbite means a sequel to the run or some form of a game tie in to need for speed the movie(2014) or a next gen need for speed whatever it is its gonna have a story and cinematic and honestly i don't like stories in racing games i grew up playing racing games not driving/action games.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

Most Wanted is on FrostBite2 as well, and it's not a sequel to the Run
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

As far as I know, Most Wanted 2012 is not using Frostbite 2.0. Criterion is using a modified version of their Chameleon engine, which they also used in Hot Pursuit 2010. One of the developers said that in a tweet back in June.

https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status ... 0866644992

I hope this is true. I think Chameleon is a great engine for a racing game. It is light, yet it provides really nice graphics and the cars feel good. Frostbite 2.0 is too heavy for a racing game. Either that or BlackBox couldn't use its true potential and that's why The Run fails, in my opinion, when it comes to graphics, optimization, and overall sense of speed/handling of the cars. And the graphics are not that superior when compared to other NFS games, like Hot Pursuit. And of course, SMS has the best game engine, but I don't think that one would work good for open-world games. For games like SHIFT it is great, though.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

Hydro_PT wrote:As far as I know, Most Wanted 2012 is not using Frostbite 2.0. Criterion is using a modified version of their Chameleon engine, which they also used in Hot Pursuit 2010. One of the developers said that in a tweet back in June.

https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status ... 0866644992

I hope this is true. I think Chameleon is a great engine for a racing game. It is light, yet it provides really nice graphics and the cars feel good. Frostbite 2.0 is too heavy for a racing game. Either that or BlackBox couldn't use its true potential and that's why The Run fails, in my opinion, when it comes to graphics, optimization, and overall sense of speed/handling of the cars. And the graphics are not that superior when compared to other NFS games, like Hot Pursuit. And of course, SMS has the best game engine, but I don't think that one would work good for open-world games. For games like SHIFT it is great, though.
Totally agree :) keep frostbite2 outta of need for speed games but this next need for speed sounds alot like a sequel to the run or a spin off from the need for speed movie 2014.i dunno when i hear frostbite that's what comes to mind.now lets get back to the current game most wanted :wink:
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

i need another porsche unleashed...now..now.now.now... :lol:
ianism
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ianism »

Navid_A1 wrote:i need another porsche unleashed...now..now.now.now... :lol:

lol of course... but we all know that isn't very likely. although sometimes World feels like a Porshe fan's game :P
i have nothing more to add
TW1ST3R
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
Location: Pigfarts Intergalactic School of Witchcraft and Wizardry; Mars

Post by TW1ST3R »

zedex wrote:Most Wanted is on FrostBite2 as well, and it's not a sequel to the Run
Most Wanted's on Chameleon. Personally I think Chameleon is better, I mean Frostbite may probably look better when set on full graphics settings, but the vast majority of people can't afford a machine or are too ignorant to run that sort of software. I've played both Hot Pursuit and The Run and I can tell you that the Chameleon is a lot less taxing on your hardware:

On my old laptop I could run HP on high graphics settings but The Run I couldn't even make it through the first race without it lagging profusely on minimal graphics. (This was a laptop that was on 2GB ram and 1GB graphics with Intel Centrino - yes it was old) However, even on my new laptop with more than double the performance specs The Run still ate up a tonne of CPU and ram just on Medium settings, while I can easily run HP and games such as Skyrim and Crysis 2 on high graphics settings with minimal lag.

If you excuse the rant, essentially I agree with Hydro in that I personally think Chameleon is a better engine - it delivers a much better visual and gaming experience compared to Frostbite on low to mid level performance ranged computers. Though if you're a console guy I guess it doesn't really matter...

Anyway rant over. I'm looking forward to it - it'll be nice to see what direction it's taken in now that EA's realised that Black Box lost their thunder, plus I think Phantom put it nicely:
Phantom_pain33 wrote:Swedish developers means two things things , epic roads and the alps
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

TW1ST3R wrote:
zedex wrote:Most Wanted is on FrostBite2 as well, and it's not a sequel to the Run
Most Wanted's on Chameleon. Personally I think Chameleon is better, I mean Frostbite may probably look better when set on full graphics settings, but the vast majority of people can't afford a machine or are too ignorant to run that sort of software. I've played both Hot Pursuit and The Run and I can tell you that the Chameleon is a lot less taxing on your hardware:

On my old laptop I could run HP on high graphics settings but The Run I couldn't even make it through the first race without it lagging profusely on minimal graphics. (This was a laptop that was on 2GB ram and 1GB graphics with Intel Centrino - yes it was old) However, even on my new laptop with more than double the performance specs The Run still ate up a tonne of CPU and ram just on Medium settings, while I can easily run HP and games such as Skyrim and Crysis 2 on high graphics settings with minimal lag.

If you excuse the rant, essentially I agree with Hydro in that I personally think Chameleon is a better engine - it delivers a much better visual and gaming experience compared to Frostbite on low to mid level performance ranged computers. Though if you're a console guy I guess it doesn't really matter...

Anyway rant over. I'm looking forward to it - it'll be nice to see what direction it's taken in now that EA's realised that Black Box lost their thunder, plus I think Phantom put it nicely:
Phantom_pain33 wrote:Swedish developers means two things things , epic roads and the alps
same here...
i play my games using a 2009 spec laptop
6gb ram
core 2 duo 2.8
overclocked 4650 1gb

i played NFS:shift - NFS: HP and shift2u on my laptop on medium to high settings... then there was the run with it's massive FB2 engine (which my hardware could barely handle)... FB2 is a great graphics engine.. but a lot of it's potential won't be used in a racing game and it still pushes your hardware to the edge as if it is using it's every capability.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

oh really... I probably got old news then >.<

either way, I hope this new one allows for better Anti-Aliasing...

Hot Pursuit looked amazing, but some of the screenshots I took were too jaggy...
StaneSKT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by StaneSKT »

Control like in Most Wanted - 2005

Tuning like in SHIFT series

Drift/Drag/Cops

And yeah we want story like in MW/Carbon/Undercover
ianism
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ianism »

StaneSKT wrote: And yeah we want story like in MW/Carbon/Undercover
why? nobody played those games for the stories. BB had been wanting to make the NFS series more 'cinematic' since HP2 and each and every one of the stories they made detracted from the game experience because they were just SO BAD.
i have nothing more to add
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

ianism wrote:
StaneSKT wrote: And yeah we want story like in MW/Carbon/Undercover
why? nobody played those games for the stories. BB had been wanting to make the NFS series more 'cinematic' since HP2 and each and every one of the stories they made detracted from the game experience because they were just SO BAD.
Pretty ironic in any review of most wanted 2005 they said the reason the game scored low was because of the cheesy story why it became popular? characters such as razor,Mia ect.. lets analyze
Razor Callahan:
-your typical street punk
-with attitude
-trash talker
-rebel
-drives a very agreessive car or two cars.
-power and respect among his peers and the scene.

Pretty much resonated with the upcoming teenagers with raging hormones and (not referring to people in the forum im speaking in general ) let alone a characters who's personality was recycled from a well know movie franchise off course we all know what that is.most wanted storyline was never the strength of the game they specifically said it in reviews cheesy storyline ..the true strength of most wanted was the return of cops in full effect and the way the cop ai plotted strategies to take you down ,customization? was another issue because they dumbed down or simplified from underground 2 so we heard the complaints about more bodykits ,more of this and that.for me it was the perfect balance.

When you guys looked at the demo pitch for most wanted all you can see was exotic cars,epic locales and the rap sheet so clearly this game first idea by black box was pretty much bring back the cops,bring back the cool enviroments epic roads and the cool car but now you have a cost of the state..then EA marketing team comes in and say lets add customization, and lets add another storyline that will resonate with the masses(upcoming teens,ricers) lets look at the pop culture ,lets add hip hop ,lets bring that attitude back and lets still keep the cops in and all the crazy pursuits.the game became a classic by its worst elements and not the good elements, the new generation never played the hot pursuit 2 or the classic games and still to this day they refused to play it so they were introduced to hardcore pursuits like the classics in most wanted but after two customization, fast and furious games and the movies in full swing EA knew the street racing scene was hot and decided to add the storyline and customization again.meanwhile fast and the furious was already getting outta of the street racing scene and adding more action/stunt driving to the franchise hence the big jumps ,with action camera angle in most wanted.

I hope they do a high stakes with multiple locations and ill be okay with sprint races ,they don't have to do circuits and keep the core there i would like some subtle customization ,maybe sum vinyls and stuff will be welcome and some tuning like the original high stakes.some cars are not meant to be customized specially the exotics.

I'am not flaming on the franchise at one point it felt great customizing a car because we all got caught up in the fast and furious street racing boom i had a lot of fun being an artist/designer able to mix and match vinyls was great and inspiring.

Again if i ever offended anybody with this comment when i analyze razor character comparing to how the majority of teens are these days or the new generation , cause i'm from the late 80's-90's i'm sorry but i typing this as a written fact and an opinion.Maybe my opinion its wrong or something but i do consider most wanted 2005 a classic with its cheesy storyline and everything because to me most wanted was about the premise becoming the most wanted and heat 6 level pursuit where i was being chase by almost 20 cops one time! That was Most Wanted. :mrgreen:
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

need for speed for me was started with NFS III... (it was epic)
NFS:HS was also good... although i remember very few of it... i still can recall some cool things like switching police vehicles during a chase

NFS:PU... this title was THE PERFECTION... it was visually superior to previous titles... the physics were flawless... factory driver and evolution mode was actually something that could keep you playing and sharpening your skills... car customization was clean and professional (with real world parts and upgrades)... as i said... absolute perfection.!

my NFS experience was cut here... (well i played NFS:carbon and NFS:UC on my brother's PS2 occasionally)... so i don't know about this pop culture and and street racing scene... i should also say that i hated the kind of customization in underground series... neons?... biga$$ exhausts?... pffft!

it started again for me with Shift onwards.
HP2010 was a good distraction from shift... it had more adrenalin.
Shift2 was another great release... something that shift should have been in the first place.

THE RUN?... let me tell you... i have never felt being ripped off so hugely in my entire life... the run is quite simply the most HORRIBLE nfs title (if not the worst game) i have ever played... i don't need to write off a list... because everything you can name in that game was a disaster.! (ok maybe it had a good world design)

i'm looking forward to most wanted... it looks good so far (apart from the car list).

for NFS future?... i could be happy if they even release a remastered PU.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

Navid_A1 wrote:need for speed for me was started with NFS III... (it was epic)
NFS:HS was also good... although i remember very few of it... i still can recall some cool things like switching police vehicles during a chase

NFS:PU... this title was THE PERFECTION... it was visually superior to previous titles... the physics were flawless... factory driver and evolution mode was actually something that could keep you playing and sharpening your skills... car customization was clean and professional (with real world parts and upgrades)... as i said... absolute perfection.!

my NFS experience was cut here... (well i played NFS:carbon and NFS:UC on my brother's PS2 occasionally)... so i don't know about this pop culture and and street racing scene... i should also say that i hated the kind of customization in underground series... neons?... biga$$ exhausts?... pffft!

it started again for me with Shift onwards.
HP2010 was a good distraction from shift... it had more adrenalin.
Shift2 was another great release... something that shift should have been in the first place.

THE RUN?... let me tell you... i have never felt being ripped off so hugely in my entire life... the run is quite simply the most HORRIBLE nfs title (if not the worst game) i have ever played... i don't need to write off a list... because everything you can name in that game was a disaster.! (ok maybe it had a good world design)

i'm looking forward to most wanted... it looks good so far (apart from the car list).

for NFS future?... i could be happy if they even release a remastered PU.
i started with need for speed 2 and then formally got introduced to the series with need for speed 3: hot pursuit . :mrgreen:

The run was garbage i return it the next day and the people at gamestop were laughing at me because they knew it sucked! :?
junior6at
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by junior6at »

Navid_A1 wrote:i need another porsche unleashed...now..now.now.now... :lol:
With the power of 10,000 suns YES.

I'm a little sensitive with how this game should be handled since to me this was EA's most special NFS they ever made. So first I'd like see what this new studio can do before I decide I want PU from them. And no, I don't want Criterion's fingerprints on it, ever. If I were to choose which dev team to do another PU it would be SMS, but unfortunately they're no longer with EA.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

My first NFS played was Hot Pursuit (NFS III) at a computer store, while we were looking to buy our first desktop at home...
then later, I played NFS II: Special Edition at a summer camp (they installed it among other games in the college campus computer lab)

then NFS High Stakes came out... and boy, that lasted me years and years! and later with more powerful computer, could max out its graphics install more mods (I remember, back then, with 56k dial-up internet, took me ~15 mins to download a 5-10MB car, and I had over 500MB of them ... on our tiny 4GB Hard Drive)

eventually, I got another "classic" version of the CD-ROM and put in even MORE mods later with faster internet

then came Hot Pursuit 2 (didn't play much Porsche Unleashed until after HP2... as I'm not too big of a Porsche fan, AND my computer couldn't handle it at the time) it was some great fun, but I still preferred the chases in High Stakes

During College, Underground came out, and it was the next big thing along with F'n'F movie... so it was cool, hip, awesome, especially considering they changed the whole NFS formula and introduced affordable modified cars (a la Honda Civic)
Underground 2 the year after was even better, brought in more cars, open city, etc. had a LOT of fun LAN party days with friends
I also remember that was when laptops with widescreen became more popular, and as the game had no proper resolutions, we were looking at configuration mods to allow the widescreen resolution (1280x768)

Most Wanted came next, and I played a lot THE day it came out... played it a lot more for about a few months... it was fun but racing in daytime with open world and police chases after the 2 underground games was a bit weird... but the return of the exotics, such as Lamborghinis, Porsches and Mercedes SLR were pretty amazing and of course, the pursuits were extremely fun, can last for hours!

When Carbon came out, it was Most Wanted and MORE! night setting (which I found was lacking in MW) and a new more varied city. but it was more of the same...

Pro Street was a weird entry that I was never able to play properly (computer problem again) and NFS into the closed-circuit setting is a bit awkward

Undercover, I found fun at first, really loved the carlist, but after the 2nd playthrough, and the glitchy graphical performance, I just stopped playing...

Shift... that was a very interesting entry, managed to get to the end, Nurburgring Nordschleife was a very welcoming track, played LOTS of it, then later modding community kicking in with performance and physics tweaks, more decals, etc it was very fun.

Criterion's Hot Pursuit was truly a great entry as it brought back a lot of my old memories, but I still miss the High Stakes days even more... graphics looked amazing with vast and varied scenery, only complaint was, like my previous post, lack of Anti-Aliasing...

Shift 2 Unleashed, which I never completed 100%, but still played a LOT was also a solid entry. Drift events were a bit weird but other than that, it had a pretty solid car selection, modifications, and tracks... and provided the best driving experience (with the super loud ambient cockpit sound, shaking, knocking, etc) that some people might not have liked at all... but it gave me a lot of adrenaline rush on high powered cars

The Run... ehmm... I played the demo on PS3... wait ... did I even? I don't even remember... a very forgettable game that never interested me... THE ONLY NFS that I haven't played (full version, not demo) other than the original (Road and Track's THE NEED FOR SPEED)

but I'm very much looking forward to the newly rebooted Most Wanted

tldr: my favourite is still the High Stakes...
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

^ COOL STORY BRO

(No really, that actually was quite a cool story :D)
trickeh2k
Ricer
Ricer

Post by trickeh2k »

Yeah, interesting news all the way... But, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high just yet. Criterion is in charge of all future NFS titles, they don't have to make the game themselves but will be involved with the game in any way they want from what I learned.

This probably means that either Criterion is too busy with other things after Most Wanted to be able to make a new NFS title within EA's wanted window of time OR that we're seeing something else... My guess? Might be either something made for iPhone or Android phones, but more likely - a PlayStation 4/XBOX 720 NFS title.

If they start now, it'll probably be finished in about two years and I'm guessing we'll see the release of the next gen consoles Q4 2013/Q1 2014.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

trickeh2k wrote:Yeah, interesting news all the way... But, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high just yet. Criterion is in charge of all future NFS titles, they don't have to make the game themselves but will be involved with the game in any way they want from what I learned.

This probably means that either Criterion is too busy with other things after Most Wanted to be able to make a new NFS title within EA's wanted window of time OR that we're seeing something else... My guess? Might be either something made for iPhone or Android phones, but more likely - a PlayStation 4/XBOX 720 NFS title.

If they start now, it'll probably be finished in about two years and I'm guessing we'll see the release of the next gen consoles Q4 2013/Q1 2014.
EA said this studio its specifically for next gen and frostbite 2 development so i hope deep down criterion servers there's a demo pitch for a new road rash , because criterion and road rash belong together and lets give need for speed a break.the market kinda needs a crazy motorcycle game with no rules just you and the road and lets throw some cops in there *looks around*. i don't see a game like it these days aside from the professional Moto gp and stuff. :|
trickeh2k
Ricer
Ricer

Post by trickeh2k »

Phantom_pain33 wrote:
trickeh2k wrote:Yeah, interesting news all the way... But, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high just yet. Criterion is in charge of all future NFS titles, they don't have to make the game themselves but will be involved with the game in any way they want from what I learned.

EA said this studio its specifically for next gen and frostbite 2 development so i hope deep down criterion servers there's a demo pitch for a new road rash , because criterion and road rash belong together and lets give need for speed a break.the market kinda needs a crazy motorcycle game with no rules just you and the road and lets throw some cops in there *looks around*. i don't see a game like it these days aside from the professional Moto gp and stuff. :|
OMG! A new Road Rash would be SO epic! :D Ioved that game!
zmudziak22
Ricer
Ricer

Post by zmudziak22 »

Underground 3 will be good, if they base on Underground Series. Tuning options from NFS U2, Midnight Club Series and Juiced 1&2 should appear. Maybe cops will interrupt the race. Return of Rap Sheet from MW.

Return to “News”