No new NFS in 2014

The news visible on the main page
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

No new NFS in 2014

Post by Hydro_PT »

Since 2002, with the release of Hot Pursuit 2, there has not been any year without a new Need For Speed game being released. That is about to change though, as EA has just announced in their quarterly earnings call that in 2014 there will be no new NFS.

According to CEO Andrew Wilson, "our concept of what makes a game today has changed; we are designing games for long-term experiences."

The next NFS game is set to be released in 2015 and is in "deep development" by Ghost Games, although no more information than this has been revealed. Customization, car culture and personal expression were referred multiple times though, when talking about the franchise, so it might be possible that the next Need For Speed will be somewhat along the lines of Underground 1 and 2.
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Re: No new NFS in 2014

Post by TheNoobofFerraris »

A wise decision, imo. Maybe this extra time will finally allow Ghost Games to create the big hit NFS needs.
"We are designing games for long-term experiences."
I don't know how much weight it holds but this is what I like to hear, at least. From my experience with NFS games in recent years there's been a lack of incentive to play past the initial string of singleplayer challenges and events. Hot Pursuit 2010 was the most fun I've had with an NFS game in a long time because it at least provided a fun multiplayer experience through the intense Hot Pursuit mode, but even that wasn't enough to keep it from becoming stale after some time. Still, I do find myself coming back to HP 2010 on occasion just to find a lobby for Race mode, it's simple fun.

As for The Run, MW 2012 and Rivals? I didn't buy The Run, MW was sold back after a couple weeks of play, and Rivals was rented. I had a month's rental on that game and returned it within a week. That should tell you enough about how disappointing Rivals was.
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

I don't think it really matters if they release it this year, next year or the year after. Something tells me Ghost will still mess it up. Let's not forget that Black Box (r.i.p.) had three years to develop a new game, and somehow they managed to mess it up worse than any other game that came before it, and for better or worse, Black Box actually knew their stuff. Most of the people who worked on Rivals never even worked on a racing game before that.

Helluva coincidence that the two worst Need For Speed games ever made use Frostbite, no? :roll:
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Good. I want them to actually come out with something new and innovative... start afresh, bring something new to the table. I haven't bought a NFS game for years.

The last few games have been good fundamentally, but they're just generic. What was so good about the UG days was the game had flavor
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Good. I want them to actually come out with something new and innovative... start afresh, bring something new to the table. I haven't bought a NFS game for years.

The last few games have been good fundamentally, but they're just generic. What was so good about the UG days was the game had flavor
Underground ruined the series.
oumysoft
Ricer
Ricer

Post by oumysoft »

I didnt mind the new need for speed games, tho I will admit that both Rivals and Most wanted (2010) did become rapidly boring after a while.
I do believe that EA can somewhat cater for the old school (pre underground) and post underground crouds and make both happy. Here is my suggestion for the ideal new need for speed game:
1) Similar to Need for Speed Carbon, split the cars up into 3 categories (Tuners, Muscle, Exotics) - I would say around 50 - 70 cars ber category.
2) Options for Customasation and Tuning Similar scale to Underground 2 but not mandetory.
3) Have a branching story (becomming the best underground racer, becomming the most wanted, becomming the best cop).
4) Day/Night Cycle with the option of chooseing the time of day. Its also important to have the same level of treatment on this. the night time in underground and U2 were amazing with the coloured lights and the road reflections which felt bland and uninteresting in Most wanted and Hot Pursuit (Both critirion version).
5) A map that has a dence city like underground/Most Wanted as well as the open country side/snowy mountains like Hot Pursuit/Rivals.
6) I'd also like the hot pursuit system/cop chase to be like the original Most Wanted/Carbon and not like the new system where you have a health bar, make the spikes strip something to be feared of (In rivals, I would go through it, find the nearest station and repair the car with made me not bother avoiding them).
7) A full high stakes challenge (Car impound, pink slips).

May not fulfill all of this, but thats my ideal Need for Speed Game. I do believe its achevable and would satisfy old fans and new ones.
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

oumysoft wrote: 1) Similar to Need for Speed Carbon, split the cars up into 3 categories (Tuners, Muscle, Exotics) - I would say around 50 - 70 cars ber category.
Purpose?
oumysoft
Ricer
Ricer

Post by oumysoft »

Eurotrash wrote:
oumysoft wrote: 1) Similar to Need for Speed Carbon, split the cars up into 3 categories (Tuners, Muscle, Exotics) - I would say around 50 - 70 cars ber category.
Purpose?
The purpose is to suit all the types of people, I grew up playing need for speed of the 90s so for me I prefer exotics such as Ferraris Lambos and Mclarens. But there are others (Underground fans) who enjoy tuners and to modify them into powerful machines using after markets.
I only referanced Carbon as it showed that split more then any other need for speed game. I know that Most Wanted has all three categores.
More and more games are branching out the career path so you choose you favourate disapline (Grid Autosport, Project Cars) where you get to be the best open racer, endurance, drifter etc. I think need for speed can also follow such diverging career path but more arcady (such as best in the underground world, or the most wanted racer etc) as mentioned in my post.
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

oumysoft wrote: The purpose is to suit all the types of people, I grew up playing need for speed of the 90s so for me I prefer exotics such as Ferraris Lambos and Mclarens. But there are others (Underground fans) who enjoy tuners and to modify them into powerful machines using after markets.
I only referanced Carbon as it showed that split more then any other need for speed game. I know that Most Wanted has all three categores.
More and more games are branching out the career path so you choose you favourate disapline (Grid Autosport, Project Cars) where you get to be the best open racer, endurance, drifter etc. I think need for speed can also follow such diverging career path but more arcady (such as best in the underground world, or the most wanted racer etc) as mentioned in my post.
I don't get it. You can't have all types of cars without categorizing them? That makes no sense, Carbon's categories weren't even correct, since when is the Ford GT an Exotic?

Carbon split cars into three categories in an attempt to give the gangs more personality. It worked, but the idea of crews racing for territory Bloodz VS Crips style is incredibly stupid to begin with. I mean, pretending you're a gang leader, what do you do once you "own" all the racing areas in the city? Nobody else is allowed to race in your territory so what do you do? Cruise around till you run out of gas money. I hope whoever came up with that idea was fired, Christ...

Hey if splitting cars into three menus means that much to you I hope they include it, but it's pointless.
oumysoft
Ricer
Ricer

Post by oumysoft »

Not going to argue the structure, I was only suggesting a diverse selections of car (underground series had no exotics and rivals has no imports) from the beginning my point was to satisfy all type of fans, if you misunderstood me, I will say lump 150-200 different types of cars of various types and not categorising them. But at the end of the day if you enjoy imports, you can select that, if you enjoy exotics you can take that and if you enjoy muscle you can take that root (I could even say if you like SUVs or caterhams lump them in too).
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

oumysoft wrote:Not going to argue the structure, I was only suggesting a diverse selections of car (underground series had no exotics and rivals has no imports) from the beginning my point was to satisfy all type of fans, if you misunderstood me, I will say lump 150-200 different types of cars of various types and not categorising them. But at the end of the day if you enjoy imports, you can select that, if you enjoy exotics you can take that and if you enjoy muscle you can take that root (I could even say if you like SUVs or caterhams lump them in too).
Oh, then I agree. I just hope it's mostly cars that are actually interesting and not 90% everyday hatchbacks like Gran Turismo.

This will be a 2015 EA game though so we'll be lucky to get around 30 cars.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

Wisest decision ever, to be honest if this trend helps to get the NFS we all may want, it's all cool with me :)
ianism
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ianism »

xturbo wrote:Wisest decision ever, to be honest if this trend helps to get the NFS we all may want, it's all cool with me :)
yup. in the end what matters is that it's good.
Eurotrash wrote:
Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Good. I want them to actually come out with something new and innovative... start afresh, bring something new to the table. I haven't bought a NFS game for years.

Underground ruined the series.
well that's all opinion. i'd agree that they ruined the series (UG2 especially with the soundsystems, crap soundtrack and SUVs) but only because they were so popular that they brought in a whole new fanbase that wanted different stuff from the 'original' fans.
Eurotrash wrote:I don't get it. You can't have all types of cars without categorizing them? That makes no sense, Carbon's categories weren't even correct, since when is the Ford GT an Exotic?
lol terrible example - it IS an exotic. how are Corvettes/Vipers muscle cars? simply because they're from the US?
i have nothing more to add
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

ianism wrote:well that's all opinion. i'd agree that they ruined the series (UG2 especially with the soundsystems, crap soundtrack and SUVs) but only because they were so popular that they brought in a whole new fanbase that wanted different stuff from the 'original' fans.
Pretty much yeah. The first Underground was great as a spin-off, but as a main game? No, defo no. And Underground 2 was terrible overall.
ianism wrote: lol terrible example - it IS an exotic. how are Corvettes/Vipers muscle cars? simply because they're from the US?
American cars, built from American parts, by American machinery and assembly workers, and designed by American engineers in the USA. So yeah, they are muscle cars.

Read and weep: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exotic

Even if it weren't appropriate to call them muscle cars, calling them "exotic'" is just... stupid.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

To be honest, that kind of car categorization is pretty subjective. I'm not sure it works very well. I consider both the Aventador and the Veneno to be exotic cars. But Lamborghini will build 4000 Avendatores and only 3 Venenos. So the Aventador is neither "strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance" or "of a uniquely new or experimental nature". However, the Veneno might be "uniquely new", so that would make it an exotic.

As for muscle cars, here's a somewhat vague definition: "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving." So yeah, a Ford GT would be a muscle car. But then we also have this definition: "It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a large-displacement engine in it." The Ford GT is not really a small car, nor is a Dodge Viper or a Corvette. So that doesn't make it a muscle car. It makes it something else. Maybe an exotic car, maybe just a sports car.

I honestly prefer when they (EA) don't categorize the cars, as any categorization is subjective and not everyone will agree about it.
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

Hydro_PT wrote:To be honest, that kind of car categorization is pretty subjective. I'm not sure it works very well. I consider both the Aventador and the Veneno to be exotic cars. But Lamborghini will build 4000 Avendatores and only 3 Venenos. So the Aventador is neither "strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance" or "of a uniquely new or experimental nature". However, the Veneno might be "uniquely new", so that would make it an exotic.

As for muscle cars, here's a somewhat vague definition: "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving." So yeah, a Ford GT would be a muscle car. But then we also have this definition: "It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a large-displacement engine in it." The Ford GT is not really a small car, nor is a Dodge Viper or a Corvette. So that doesn't make it a muscle car. It makes it something else. Maybe an exotic car, maybe just a sports car.

I honestly prefer when they (EA) don't categorize the cars, as any categorization is subjective and not everyone will agree about it.
Pretty much that.

The term "exotic" isn't vehicle-specific, nor does it have a separate meaning for automobiles. It simply means of foreign origin. American and Asian cars are exotic in Europe, European and American cars are exotic in Asia, European and Asian cars are exotic in America. Since the US (still) rules the world, and since most Asian sports cars aren't available in the US or Europe and are referred to as "imports", most people think of European cars when they hear "exotic".

I admit I'm not 100% sure what the term "muscle car" refers to exactly, but I can pretty much guarantee that nobody is ether. It's partially a subjective term, but one thing I know for certain: muscle cars are all American. And before anybody brings up Australian cars, most of those are based off American cars, if not plain re-brands.

As for tuner, in EA's vision I think it pretty much translates to "cars that are popular in Fast and Furious". I honestly can't think of any other definition for it. At first I thought they were just the Asian cars, then I thought they were all the imports, but if I remember correctly the VW Golf and the Renault Clio are both tuners in NFS Carbon.
ianism
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ianism »

i just always equated exotic cars with supercars or high-end sports cars. *shrugs*
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

I still dream with the NFS that gets ALL types of racing games trend, like streetracing, legal racing, massive cop chases, exotic tournaments, blablabla in just 1 single game, with day/night transition, uber huge world map with different types of ambients (like NFS HP 2010), tuner stuff, non tuner stuff (stock? lol), racing parts, tournaments, driving from the safehouse to a racetrack, and in the night just do whatever you want, police chases, list keeps going on....

...but in the end, we know that will not happen, unless Ryan Cooper takes his helmet off.
Just saying...
ianism
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ianism »

xturbo wrote:I still dream with the NFS that gets ALL types of racing games trend, like streetracing, legal racing, massive cop chases, exotic tournaments, blablabla in just 1 single game, with day/night transition, uber huge world map with different types of ambients (like NFS HP 2010), tuner stuff, non tuner stuff (stock? lol), racing parts, tournaments, driving from the safehouse to a racetrack, and in the night just do whatever you want, police chases, list keeps going on....

...but in the end, we know that will not happen, unless Ryan Cooper takes his helmet off.
Just saying...
yep. ever since like 2001 i have been hoping for that. HP2 came pretty close imo, but it was a little easy. and there was no open map or customization and not enough cars. and yeah, it's never going to happen - because what would they make AFTER that? how can you top it?

omg... what if Ryan Cooper is The Stig :shock:
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

xturbo wrote: ...but in the end, we know that will not happen, unless Ryan Cooper takes his helmet off.
Just saying...
That an inside joke I don't know about?
StaneSKT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by StaneSKT »

This year are The CREW, World of Speed and Driveclub. Hope in 2015 NFS will improve something.

Return to “News”