asap HELP PLZ WITH 6800 ULTRA

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
El1jonMC305
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

asap HELP PLZ WITH 6800 ULTRA

Post by El1jonMC305 »

i just got a 500 watt power supply, another 512 of ram, and the PNY 6800 Ultra video card, im having trouble...well i think i am....right now i have my case half open, just to see if everything is running perfect...and it is....BUT.....it keeps making a noise....and it doesn't stop...should it be doing that????? or should i just close the case and make it less noise?
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: asap HELP PLZ WITH 6800 ULTRA

Post by korge »

El1jonMC305 wrote:i just got a 500 watt power supply, another 512 of ram, and the PNY 6800 Ultra video card, im having trouble...well i think i am....right now i have my case half open, just to see if everything is running perfect...and it is....BUT.....it keeps making a noise....and it doesn't stop...should it be doing that????? or should i just close the case and make it less noise?
I used to have the same problem, I figured out it was just my big fan turning on for the very first time.

Is the card Brand New? My card did that at first, now it doesnt, Breaking in the new fan maybe? I dont know.

What does it sound like exactly?
korge
El1jonMC305
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by El1jonMC305 »

yes i just installed the stuff like 2 hours ago.......i have a AMD Sepron 2.8, 1 gig of ram, and the PNY 6800 ultra, i have the case fan also, but it does not make so much noise......the card is working don't get me wrong...BUT that noise is anooying...i can't describe it...i would say it's the video card...because it never made this noise....could it be possible that i have to download the latest drivers? or maybe i have something connected wrong to the power supply....plz help me guys i can't this this...it's not soooooo freaking loud...but god it get;s to you....im starting to belive that it's loud because i have the case open...maybe with the case closed it sounds less?? plz help
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Nvidia cards need more power there fore run hotter. Im guessing its got a big fan. If so, thats normal, After a couple hours of it running, the sound should go away. If not, check for anything in the fans way.

As for the drivers, you shouldve gotten those regardless of fan noise. :lol:
korge
El1jonMC305
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by El1jonMC305 »

okay, im downloading the latest drivers for the card right now.......after this...IF the card is still making noise...should i just close my case and leave it as it is?
El1jonMC305
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by El1jonMC305 »

also am i able to run doom 3 on max settings and smooth?
also, am i able to run nfsu2 in max settings also? and run it smooth and perfect?
Last edited by El1jonMC305 on 27 May 2005, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

most likely, dont double post, and the sound will go away (regardless of the drivers)
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
El1jonMC305
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by El1jonMC305 »

im sorry, it's just that i just spend 628 bucks so i wanna make sure, it's working sorry about the double post
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

El1jonMC305 wrote:okay, im downloading the latest drivers for the card right now.......after this...IF the card is still making noise...should i just close my case and leave it as it is?
Wow... Why on earth are you leaving the case open? It should remain closed. If you want to see your nice card,get a window for the case, but if you leave the case open, that disrupts the airflow of the fans and makes your card get hot.

Close the case

Install Drivers

And IF the sound doesnt go away by tommorow, then worry about it.

Most fans take time to break in their bearings before the spin super fast. Its normal. If it continues after running for a max of 5 hours, then you should check for problems like loose wires dangling around. If there isnt anything after that, try consulting Nvidia or a Computer Center near you.
korge
El1jonMC305
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by El1jonMC305 »

alright man thanks alot, lol i easily had my case opened for about 1 hour...it didn't get so hot though....maybe because i have my ac on as high as possible and my room is cold as hell, well anyways noise reduced ALOT with case closed.....and im about to install drivers, thanks alot guys muah!!! LOVE YALL

BTW shoulld i leave comp on all night? while i sleep?
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

El1jonMC305 wrote:alright man thanks alot, lol i easily had my case opened for about 1 hour...it didn't get so hot though....maybe because i have my ac on as high as possible and my room is cold as hell, well anyways noise reduced ALOT with case closed.....and im about to install drivers, thanks alot guys muah!!! LOVE YALL

BTW shoulld i leave comp on all night? while i sleep?
I wouldnt Reccomend it, but if you dont mind to, then yea, you could. I would only do this if it had something to do, like run a small program liek a Tech Demo or Multitasking Screen saver. Dont just let it sit there with the power on.

Oh yea, if you fall asleep and your comp is on fire, its not my fault. :lol: (500 watt power supply has got to do something bad)
korge
El1jonMC305
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by El1jonMC305 »

+the guy i spoke to said it needs atleast 480 watt. and i read on the manual and it says there 430 watts....the guy said a 500 watt is good enough.....
\
btw i just saw the demos for the video card...OMFG INCREDIBLE
Triskac
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Triskac »

6800s are loud, thats nothing you can do with it, except changing cooler :)
BTW when i am dow*cough*ing i got my PC on 24/7 :)
El1jonMC305
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by El1jonMC305 »

the video card is a firetruck beast, the demos it came with are beautiful, and i ran nfsu2 with max settings and it ran as smooth as it would with everything off, just how i wanted it =)

now the real test for me will be doom 3, on max settings and run perfect smoothly....=)

btw, right now i have a case fan, plus the fan of the power supply, plus the fan of the video card, what else can i buy to maintain the video card cool?
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

El1jonMC305 wrote:the video card is a firetruck beast, the demos it came with are beautiful, and i ran nfsu2 with max settings and it ran as smooth as it would with everything off, just how i wanted it =)

now the real test for me will be doom 3, on max settings and run perfect smoothly....=)

btw, right now i have a case fan, plus the fan of the power supply, plus the fan of the video card, what else can i buy to maintain the video card cool?
Running Doom 3 will be a good test on max settings, but if you want great visuals, then turn to hl2. Omg, the game looks so real... o well.. Ppl will differ and say the plastic figures with oversized hands in Doom look more real. :?

Another thing to keep the case cool would to go out and buy a $300 dollar water cooler. These really help and can have you overclocking your entire system withot noticing anything different as in temperature.

The downfall of these are this. They are expensive. Many different companies and models to choose from. Hard to set up. Take lots of care as to making sure its running properly, and of course, there are many attachments when it comes to what you want to be cooled. There are upgrades to attach the Power supply, card and cpu, all to one cooling system. Its all about what you want to do.

If you want to go cheap, i suggest just getting more fanes (one in the case's front in back. Having at least two on each side will have a good airflow of taking in cool air, and blowing out hot air.
korge
El1jonMC305
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by El1jonMC305 »

my friend is going to let me borrow doom 3, so i might buy half life 2.......
and i'll probably go to cheap way, and get 2 fans in front and back...

thanks for the info.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”