Videocards.. which to buy and whatnot.. simply videocards!

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

Jmac- wrote:LE stands for Lite Edition.

GeForce 6600 256 MB (Reference)
Core: 350 MHz x 8 Pixel Pipelines x 1 Texel Pipeline = 2800 MTexels/s
Memory: 500 MHz x 128-bit = 7.451 GB/s

GeForce 6600LE 256 MB (Reference)
Core: 300 MHz x 4 Pixel Pipelines x 1 Texel Pipeline = 1200 MTexels/s
Memory: 400 MHz x 128-bit = 5.960 GB/s

Can you provide a link or name for your specific card ? Many manufacturers use 64-bit memory on the 6600LE, which actually makes it slower than the 128-bit 6200s ...

what would we do without you and PS. so much explaning to start 06 off :lol:
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

LE = LE shiznit.
You should have at least taken the normal 6600.
It's only like 20€ / $ more.
lol wut
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Sir Ibi wrote:I think LE stands for Limited Edition, like SE. I think.
Like SE?

ROFL, SE is like ATi's SLOW EDITION.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

yeah Cpt your better off getting another card. from Jmac's info highway your ordered card must suck.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

Well if it sucks, oh well, I am the type of person who always has computer products that are a bit behind... lol I reallly didnt have a huge ammount of choices between GFX cards... I found the LE and i got it at a discout because i found a promotional card, all i had to do was buy a $9 PSU (400watts) ATX... and i got the GFX card at $89 instead of $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121205

EDIT: I can always OC it if I really need too... Plus the PC I am currently Using is not going to last very long, I just got the GFX card so my dad and I can play a few games against eachother....
EuroRacer
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EuroRacer »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:Well if it sucks, oh well, I am the type of person who always has computer products that are a bit behind... lol I reallly didnt have a huge ammount of choices between GFX cards... I found the LE and i got it at a discout because i found a promotional card, all i had to do was buy a $9 PSU (400watts) ATX... and i got the GFX card at $89 instead of $110

EDIT: I can always OC it if I really need too... Plus the PC I am currently Using is not going to last very long, I just got the GFX card so my dad and I can play a few games against eachother....
Of course you can OC it! with the right cooling you can even increase clock speed for 100Mhz if you're lucky, too bad the 6600 still is faster cuz of it's higher bandwith... When buying a vid card, you really have to watch out that you don't buy crap, the card names can really confuse you cuz they always mean something else :roll:

At least you got discount on it cuz else it would have been a real rip-off! :lol:
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

well actully it isnt crap, because i have intergrated GFX so... Im actually getting a big upgrade, I researched and i might be able to unlock the other 8 pipelines... plus the card i ordered only has a CPU clock is only 50mhz less...
EuroRacer
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EuroRacer »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:well actully it isnt crap, because i have intergrated GFX so... Im actually getting a big upgrade, I researched and i might be able to unlock the other 8 pipelines... plus the card i ordered only has a CPU clock is only 50mhz less...
It is a very big improvement from integrated GFX, that's true :lol: Be carefull with unlocking the other 8 pipelines. Make a backup of your old bios so when something goes wrong you can still back it up, or in the case the card breaks down and you want to make use of your warranty.

btw: when talking about graphics card it's a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) instead of CPU(Central Processing Unit) :wink:
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

yup im looking for a cooling fan to buy just in case :D
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:Well if it sucks, oh well, I am the type of person who always has computer products that are a bit behind... lol I reallly didnt have a huge ammount of choices between GFX cards... I found the LE and i got it at a discout because i found a promotional card, all i had to do was buy a $9 PSU (400watts) ATX... and i got the GFX card at $89 instead of $110

no cpt. your better off just paying $150 for a BFG 6200 OC like me or pay $200 for a BFG 6600GT OC. you get true performance. the pricetag tells you.

better than buying gfx cards in a back alley :lol:
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

well i cant stop my order now... Im getting a $80 PSU for $9 also... You obviously payed too much for your 6200... Id rather do the OC'ing my self instead of paying more for a company to do it...
I didnt pay for the GFX card, my dad did, its my birthday present. I decided to pick that one becasue it was cheap and it came with a PSU, which i need a new one. The PC that is going to get the GFX card isnt going to last for very long, maybe 2-3 years... Im not looking to have the best performance out of this PC, when another PC I own has PCI-e which the PC im using now, doesnt.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

PSU.. What brand?
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

At least uses 128-bit memory, so it has equal memory bandwidth to a 6600, but it still has less than half the fillrate ...

It should be able to play most modern games with medium settings, depending on the rest of your system ... If you overclock, you might be able to push high settings, but I doubt you'll be able to run AA well unless you overclock and unlock the remaining pipelines.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

PSZeTa wrote:PSU.. What brand?
Thermaltake TR2 430Watts

I have looked for unlocking the other pipelines, but i havent really found any info... Plus I think Im gonna ave to get another Cooling fan to put on it
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

From VR-Zone review of Galaxy 6600LE
Another innovation available on this card is the Dual BIOS feature. Similar to what we see on various motherboards today, Dual BIOS offers protection by physically having a backup BIOS chip. In case of a wrong / failed BIOS flash, the secondary BIOS would restore the first BIOS. This feature comes in handy, since there had been many reports of flashing a 6600GT BIOS on this card to unlock the hidden pipelines. With this feature, users can attempt to do so without compromising the safety of the hardware itself. These features make it feel so much like buying premium insurance for your video card!
From what I've read, unlocking the pipelines on a 6600LE is fairly unreliable, so I don't know if I'd try it ...
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

when you do get the card and etc take a screenshot of a gfx card pushing game like MW or Doom 3 or Quake 4. any game that looks SPECATUALR!!!!! BF 2 dosent count.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

I dont have Doom 3 or Quake 4, but I do have F.E.A.R... and MW
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Does HalfLife 2 count?
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Who cares. Any game with in the past year would and could be considered Spectacular depending on the game itself.

Quake 4, is not and Neither is Doom 3.
korge
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

Quake 4 on 360 sucked got a 7.0 in OXM. i mean Graphics wise. HL2 can count. just take screenie of water :lol:

Cpt take screenie of F.E.A.R and MW on high details with fraps to see Framerate. if your card dosent suck ill have to get one myself :lol:
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

I dont reccomend running fraps because that program is generally, sht. I would run it in te background of Underground 2 and I would get very good performance but the FPS would show numbers like 5 and 10. I think FEAR has a built in command to let you view FPS and so does HL2.
korge
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

korge wrote:Who cares. Any game with in the past year would and could be considered Spectacular depending on the game itself.

Quake 4, is not and Neither is Doom 3.
What are you talking about Doom 3/Quake 4 are still spectaculat games. I mean have you ever played the games on Ultra Details with everything on max? It is unbelievable and the graphics engine is still way ahead of its time.

I have Doom 3 (including the Ressurection of Evil expansion) and Quake 4 but currently, only Quake 4 is installed. Doom 3 scared the hell out of me. Same with the expansion but the details are still amazing.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

i think gameplay wise Quake 4 falied Miserably. unfortunately. All great Franchsies have to end in despair.

I hate it when zombies come outta no where in Delta Labs. Pissed myself 2 months ago becasue of them :lol:
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

@ Donaldgladen: OK... Let me get this straight... You say the card that I ordered is crap, but you may want to buy it? wtf?

I'll be sure to get screenshots of some of the games that I have... Im going to go buy some games after I get ithe 6600LE working...

Possible games:
Farcry
BF2 Expansion
HL2
COD2
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

korge wrote:I dont reccomend running fraps because that program is generally, sht. I would run it in te background of Underground 2 and I would get very good performance but the FPS would show numbers like 5 and 10. I think FEAR has a built in command to let you view FPS and so does HL2.
I've never had that problem with FRAPS ...

Return to “The Hardware & Software”