Hurmses

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

There are dozens of street legal cars in the US running less than 8 second quarters. Most are Fox body Mustangs, but I also know of a DSM, A Chevvy Nova, a few Camaros...

Also, the argument for straight line power (throw enough cash at something...) also applies to handling. If it was merely a case of money, why cant English drag cars break out of the 9s, especially street legal? (Quickest non-pro car in the UK runs early 10s). The new Corvettes are one of the best handling cars produced in the last decade or so.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

there are also some vids of vipers drifitng so to say that they cant go around corners is not true
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I seen several reviews of the Viper (in most cases compared to the Vette (C6))

And all the times the Viper was discribed as a unpredictable car that does not corner as well and is not a nice powerslider (5th gear with Tiff)

The C6 was on the other hand a much better handling car.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

that is because the c6 has traction whereas the viper does not. so the viper is very prone to burnouts with the amount of torque it has. the newer vipers have a revised suspension that makes handling a little better. i have driven both and i do say the corvette does handle better but id say the viper is more fun
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Both cars pulled over 1G on the skidpad, which is better than an FD3S RX7 for those who say neither car can handle. The Viper does have traction, and like any other car can be set up to launch great. The problem lies in its suspension set-up, which as Stig said, is unpredictable. Ive only driven a Viper once, and to say it was twitchy was an understatement, and thats coming from someone who has had 2 fully fledged drift cars now.

Ive only ever been a passenger in the new vette (C6, not been lucky enough to go in the Z06 yet), and it was leaps and bounds ahead of the Viper. Both cars have insane amounts of torque, as a large displacement 8 cylinder should have. Interestingly enough, the C6 uses the same engine as the Monaro VXR. :wink:
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

the viper uses a 8.3 liter V10 with 510 hp and 535 ft. lb. of torque the corvette i drove was the Z06 with the 7.0 litre v8 it has 505 hp and 470 lbs. of torque. if i had to pick one to drive in the city everyday i would pick the corvette because the shifting is nicer and the clutch is also lighter. for city driving the viper is harsh you can accidently light up the tires around a turn. the corvette can be for everybody whereas the viper is very brash and harsh and you actually have to work somewhat. the viper is still my favorite car tho
Sweet-16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweet-16 »

i agree with the vipers. another downside to them is they can't brake for squat. and the new corvette has a little bonus. all that power and torque with a decent fuel milage and independant leaf-spring suspension can really be a nice thing. the vipers are gas guzzlers cause of their large engine. and their suspension is a bit rough. i've been a passenger in a 1999 ACR and it's a nice ride, but you have to be carefully. he would chirp the tires a lot at stop lights, and once he fishtailed going into a turn at a 4-way. so yeah, it's a very torquey car.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

another downside to them is they can't brake for squat

huh wonder what viper you were riding because the viper i was driving had brakes as big as some rims on cars ( 14 inches ) and they are also specially made by brembo, so i dont think it would be too hard for four 14 inch brakes to slow down a 3200 pound car and it is not it can do 0-100-0 in about 12 seconds :wink:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Sweet-16 wrote:. . . and independant leaf-spring suspension
There's no such thing.

Stop talking crap.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

darknight788 wrote: it can do 0-100-0 in about 12 seconds
Dodge claimed under 13, as far as I know, theyve yet to prove it. :wink:
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

i would have faith in 14 inch brembo brakes, wouldnt you, and after driving one myself i would believe it
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Theres a huge difference between theory and reality. In theory, yes it will do it in under 13 seconds, in perfectly dry conditions, with x amount of tread, on a perfect road...

Ive already told you Ive driven one too, and to be perfectly honest, it wasnt that good.
Mixing And Tuning
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Mixing And Tuning »

t3ice wrote:
GTAVCBoy90 wrote:I'm pretty sure those dragsters could go much faster than 300 if they're on an airstrip or something.
I'd think they'll run out of gas keeping up such a high speed :lol:

Um...You're Right, The Veryon On A Full Tank At 252 MPH (The Top Speed.) Will Lose All That Gas In 12 Minutes! I Saw That In A Magazine. So The Corvette Will Just Lose The Whole Tank In 6-10 Minutes At Top Speed.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

Ive already told you Ive driven one too, and to be perfectly honest, it wasnt that good.

was it a 2005 or newe, btw there are rumors the viper is going to be tuned by Mclaren and we can expect stock horsepower ranging from 600-650 hp
TheReveller
Ricer
Ricer

Post by TheReveller »

0 - 60 mph acceleration 1.4 seconds ( http://www.z06-corvette.com/super/halltech.htm )

Ehh... No. Caparo T1 has a great acceleration design and little weight and it wouldn't do it in 1.4 seconds, why would that Corvette be able to do it ? That's a joke.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Three key ingredients:

-LS1
-Twin turbo
-1000bhp

Thats how it will do 60 in 1.4 seconds.

As for the Viper, Ive driven both the older generation (although not for very long, and only on a track), and a friend of my brothers '04 SRT-10 for a couple of hours in Northern france.
TheReveller
Ricer
Ricer

Post by TheReveller »

Nah, still. The tires wouldn't handle that kind of acceleration.

It's really hard to believe that that big Corvette would have a better acceleration than this Caparo T1 : http://www.caparo-t1.com (1000 bhp per tonne - 480 HP for 470 kg) 3G acceleration
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

that doesn't look like a bad car i'd buy one if i had the money, id still rather have that 1700 hp viper tho just because i like vipers and big engines with lots of torque 8)
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

TheReveller wrote:Nah, still. The tires wouldn't handle that kind of acceleration.
How so? Do you actually know anything about the tyres on that car? Id put a wager on the fact that 1.4 seconds to 60 wasnt run on street tyres... :wink:

Its really not that hard to believe. The 'vette is almost a fully fledged dragster, the only difference is itll run on pump fuel, not some 110+ octane that you can only find on circuits.
TheReveller
Ricer
Ricer

Post by TheReveller »

Oh, sorry, I just didn't take the time to look at the Corvette, I thought it was just a simple Corvette Z06 with 1000+ HP engine in. God, can that be used in public streets ?
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Oh yes. :D

Although obviously it will have to run on radials on the street, as its illegal to use slicks.

Return to “The Cars”