Help over-clocking CPU

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Help over-clocking CPU

Post by Carcrazy »

Does anyone know how I can overclock My AMD Sempron 64-bit 3400+ 2.0Ghz CPU to 2.5Ghz?

Here is my CPU...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819104231

It's on an ECS RS482-M754 mobo.

It's a socket 754 just so you know.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

What kind of memory do you have ?
What cooling are you using ?

I take it you don't have any experience overclocking processors, so unless you're willing to fork out money for a new computer, I wouldn't advise clocking that high immediately as you probably don't know what you're doing, what signs of stress to look for, how to test for stability, etc. etc. etc.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I agree with JMac-. Sounds like you're new to overclocking, and I would advise you to read a bunch of articles so that you learn to identify the stress markers that result from too much overclocking.

That said, unless you want to do hardware overclocking (which is almost always irreversible and can be severely damaging), you'll need to find a Voltage and Frequency section in your BIOS. If such a section doesn't exist, then you won't be able to overclock the processor on that motherboard.
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

You wont hit 2.5Ghz straight away like Jmac said above, on a side note, BIOS doesnt matter, any PC can be OCed on any mobo. Software overclockers do exist while they provide even better control of what your doing. However the downside is that changes cannot be auto-reset from BIOS, as you didnt change anything there. So incase you need to revert back to stock you gotaa use same software you used, and that may be a prob if your windows wont startup after bad setting, so software overclock needs extreme care imo.

As for the BIOS settings, you need ability to alter FSB setting and voltage, but voltage one is only if your goin higher values. For example 2.0 to 2.1 wont need voltage change.
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

Exactly as jmac said... DONT OVERCLOCK UR PC UNLESS U ALREADY HAVE A BACK-UP :P
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

t3ice wrote:Exactly as jmac said... DONT OVERCLOCK UR PC UNLESS U ALREADY HAVE A BACK-UP :P
Or unless you have a smart BIOS that can identify CPU stress markers and downclock automatically (I love ASUS :D).
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

I doubt that 'dont OC unless you got new PC', alot of people overclock without having money to buy same CPU again, nor anyone would actually bother with it. Just know what your doin, have a oldish system to practise on. For example if you have good PC that you wanna OC and old one that you dont need, practise ocing on the old one, see how different settigs affect it and how much heat it pumps out.

Ofc, you can go on some tech hardware forums and ask how to do it step-by-step yourself.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

t3ice wrote:Exactly as jmac said... DONT OVERCLOCK UR PC UNLESS U ALREADY HAVE A BACK-UP :P
Why don't I just try to overclock my old PC and see how it goes... whith that out of the way, instuctions please? I'll have the PC put together in a few days...
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

How would you go about OCing anyways? I have a Celeron @ 3.33GHz
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Firstly, look in your BIOS for any Frequency settings. You'll need to slowly set your FSB multiplier or FSB itself to higher speeds. If you can't do it through BIOS, search Google for a software overclocker that is comparible with your processor.

Please please please read some articles on overclocking. It is really important to slowly overclock till you find a stable limit and it's equally important to be able to identligy CPU stress markers so that your CPU doesn't get destroyed.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Hey chill man, relax, I wasn't gonna jump into it without knowing my stuff. I've been browsing around my MB bios and I think I can do it.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

prince1142003 wrote:Firstly, look in your BIOS for any Frequency settings. You'll need to slowly set your FSB multiplier or FSB itself to higher speeds. If you can't do it through BIOS, search Google for a software overclocker that is comparible with your processor.

Please please please read some articles on overclocking. It is really important to slowly overclock till you find a stable limit and it's equally important to be able to identligy CPU stress markers so that your CPU doesn't get destroyed.

You know what...I'm at a good speed anyways no need to risk my computer without a backup anyways, just wanted to know thanks
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

There's no point really in overclocking unless you can squeeze out more than 1Ghz more than the stock speed. And for that you'll need some very good cooling, possibly even liquid cooling. Anything below 1Ghz gain isn't really much. It really won't affect your computer's speed that much.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

\:D/ Ya but it looks good when you post your stats somewhere! \:D/
lol
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

m...afaik multiplier doesnt have anything to do with OCing unless you got high-end processor with unlocked multiplier.
I mean it does have alot to do with OCing but its not useful for those CPUs that have their multi set to specific bounds like minimum of 6 and max of 10. And factory settings are usually set CPU to run at top multiplier. Afaik only Core 2 Extreme got unlocked multiplier for overclocking fans tho for those you need water cooling.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

Carcrazy wrote:\:D/ Ya but it looks good when you post your stats somewhere! \:D/
lol
Thats a pretty stupid reason to overclock, usually when somebody overclocks, it's because they want some more performance without dropping money into a new processor.
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

lol? below 1Ghz gain is nothing?

Well how about I OC Conroe system to even 400Mhz above limit, that accroding to the above poster wont make much difference? My friend, 1Ghz is a maximum that you usually can squueze from CPU moreover that most of CPU`s got maximum clock value, for example mine is running 2.4Ghz with max possible clock of 4Ghz. But if ill up my CPU to even hit 2.8Ghz id get a great performance boost.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

weedman173 wrote:
Carcrazy wrote:\:D/ Ya but it looks good when you post your stats somewhere! \:D/
lol
Thats a pretty stupid reason to overclock, usually when somebody overclocks, it's because they want some more performance without dropping money into a new processor.
Ya I know I was just joking but with my wallet now completeky empty I have no more money to buy upgrades for a while. Plus since my 3000 was 2ghz I figured my 3400 would be able to safely able to overclock better than it. I never tried overclocking my 3000 but the newest model 4 products up should be able to out perform the older, lower model one. Besides now any money that I do get is going into this new computer I'm gonna build and sell, since I now have enough parts to build almost a whole computer.

And acually I was thinking about a new processor but I have the best one they make for my socket so if I want more performance than I am getting, I have to learn how to overclock. Even though I'm not gonna clock it at 2.5Ghz off the back, I will work up to that speed to see how stable it is.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

I usually recommend to beginners to overclock in 5 MHz increments on the FSB and increase it every 2 weeks ... That gives you an adequate amount of time to see if you have any issues at that speed (system crashes, program crashes, artifacts, etc.)

Even the worst systems should handle a 5 MHz boost in FSB ...

Return to “The Hardware & Software”