Dual Channel Ram Question

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Dual Channel Ram Question

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

So do you have to enable the dual channel setting somewhere, or is it just always on, like if i have 2 one gig sticks does it automatically just work in dual channel, or do i have to enable it somehow?
xxNEMO01xx
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by xxNEMO01xx »

If you have 2 identcal RAM modules it goes automatically into dual channel mode. Check out the manual of your mainboard to find out which slots you have to use. Sometimes it S1+S2 but it can be also S1+S3 to activate the dual channel mode.
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

aight thanks, the ram itself didnt have any documentation but i will check the think mobo book! :D
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Its Finished!

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

Finally, after months of money saving and countless hours comparing prices on newegg, my computer is finished! may i present to you, the Xion!

-Xion Solaris Green Case
-Asus a8n32-sli mobo
-AMD Athlon X2-4400 2MB L2 Cache
-2GB Dual Channel DDR
-320GB Sata2 HDD
-eVga 8800gts
-Dual DVD drives
-Logitech X-530 5.1 Channel surroundsound
-Westinghouse 22" LCD
-Ultra X-Finity 600 watt PSU
-Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
-Total Of 12 Running Fans in the system, and its quieter than my systemi was using before!
Last edited by NFSBLUECIVIC on 15 Feb 2007, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

NFSBLUECIVIC wrote:Logitech X-230 5.1 Channel surroundsound
That's a 2.1 system.
So you must have Logitech X-530 if it's a 5.1 system.
Anyway nice PC
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

xxNEMO01xx wrote:If you have 2 identcal RAM modules it goes automatically into dual channel mode. Check out the manual of your mainboard to find out which slots you have to use. Sometimes it S1+S2 but it can be also S1+S3 to activate the dual channel mode.
They don't need to be identical, but they do need to have the same latency, speed, and capacity ...
underoath285
Drift King
Drift King

Post by underoath285 »

very nice setup NFSBLUECIVIC.

i'm jealous
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

BrontoX wrote:
NFSBLUECIVIC wrote:Logitech X-230 5.1 Channel surroundsound
That's a 2.1 system.
So you must have Logitech X-530 if it's a 5.1 system.
Anyway nice PC
Ya you are right BrontoX, i typed it wrong, but yes indeed, it works like a dream, i turn up the settings on all my games as high as they go, even resolution and anti-aliasing and i cant get teh card to even cough. Dark Messiah came with teh card and it looks freakin sweet! Its also nice when im playin bf2 or bf2142 and recording with fraps, it doesnt lag at all now! I will probobly make a short bf montage or something to induce your drooling glands....
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Looks rather impressive. What do you need dual DVD's for anyway? Plan to do much direct disk-to-disk copying? Not that it costs much at all...
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

ya mostly for disc to disc, and ones a dvd burner, the other is just dvd rom and cd burner, so its also nice to have an extra place to just keep like game disks in
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

should get E6300 rather then AMD imo.

and you can always see memory modes in your BIOS, just open it under something like hardware profiles or system info and it should be displayed there both modes that your RAM running/supporting and the timing values like 5-5-5-15.
xxNEMO01xx
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by xxNEMO01xx »

Jmac- wrote:
xxNEMO01xx wrote:If you have 2 identcal RAM modules it goes automatically into dual channel mode. Check out the manual of your mainboard to find out which slots you have to use. Sometimes it S1+S2 but it can be also S1+S3 to activate the dual channel mode.
They don't need to be identical, but they do need to have the same latency, speed, and capacity ...
Yeah thats what describes identical modules.. :lol:
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Not really. For an example, you could have a 1GB OCZ PC3200 with tighter latencies than a 1GB Mushkin PC3200. Downclocking the OCZ stick would make them identical in terms of speed and capacity, but they are physically different. (Possibly different memory chips as well)

Return to “The Hardware & Software”