What Phone Do You Have?

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional
Location: If this post is recent, probably in front of a computer/I heard this thing will cut you off from typ

Re: What Phone Do You Have?

Post by evilmegamonkey »

Im getting a phone in 2 weeks, but I dont know what to get.

Any (REASONABLE) suggestions?
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

A Nokia N73, N72, or N70.
A Sony Ericsson W800i, W700i, or W600i.
A Motorola KRZR K3.

Those are the only ones I would get. The K3 is so-so. I'd get a N73. =D
SliM_880
Professional
Professional

Post by SliM_880 »

I just bought a Sony Ericsson W610i, and I love it. The camera is very good - 2 MP, the music player is amazing, and the user interphase is great. I advice evilmegamonkey to check it out.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Sigh...I'm starting to think that getting the N73 in Canada was a bad idea. Not that it's not a great phone, it's amazing but it's greatly limited by the stone-aged cellular technology here. Getting a data plan (in order to at least receive e-mails) is out of the question...the prices here are horrendously high and there's nothing you can do about it since Rogers practically has a monopoly over the GSM coverage (Fido is owned by Rogers and in some areas even uses the Rogers coverage). And if it's true and the phone doesn't work with 3G in Canada, then the phone really does become a brick. I'll go downtown Toronto to see if the phone is able to connect to the 3G network (the downtown area is the only area which has 3G coverage). I know it works here in Romania since I went to visit a friend in a larger city and the phone automatically switched from the GSM to the 3G network.

Indeed, I should have paid more attention to wifi capabilities, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew how limited it is here in Canada. Now I know why Nokia doesn't bring their E and N series phones here......and my friend was amazed that his lame Blackberry could receive e-mails. He didn't believe me when I told him Nokia phones have been doing that for years and that I could even access the Internet with mine. I can't believe how people are amazed by Blackberries in Canada, they're not that special. They're just watered-down versions of the real business phones available in Europe. (ranting done :P )
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional
Location: If this post is recent, probably in front of a computer/I heard this thing will cut you off from typ

Post by evilmegamonkey »

The W610i looks cool

I wonder if I could find one around here.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

@ SliM: Mind if I steal your advice? I checked out the specs and it looks like a good phone (Both on paper and in person).

Do you (Or anyone else) know about any other phones that could offer a decent mp3 player, 1.3 MP + camera, EDGE, card Slot, and possibly HTML?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

RAZR. I really like the MP3 player on my new one. (V3M - Limited locking by Alltel)
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

SAMSUNG E380 FTW!!
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
Cazzer
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Cazzer »

Motorola SLVR with many NFS songs on it. :wink:
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

@ Carcrazy: Yes, I have been somewhat considering an older/more affordable RAZR but there are many features lacking and the User Interface isn't very friendly. Also, since I would need to buy a MicroSD card and headphone (Sony Ericssons normally come with both), the price would be quite high for a phone that old.

@ RVD: That phone doesn't have a MicroSD card slot.

@ Cazzer: I've been considering a SLVR, too (L7e), but again, the MicroSD card and headphones I would have to purchase would increase the price by too much.

I think I'm looking more for a Sony Ericsson Walkman phone, so the W610i is a great choice and (as of now), I'm 80 - 90% sure I want to get it. I'm still checking out other Walkman phones, too, though.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Porsche-AG wrote:Also, since I would need to buy a MicroSD card and headphone (Sony Ericssons normally come with both), the price would be quite high for a phone that old.

I think I'm looking more for a Sony Ericsson Walkman phone, so the W610i is a great choice and (as of now), I'm 80 - 90% sure I want to get it. I'm still checking out other Walkman phones, too, though.
Actually Ericssons use Memory Stick Pro Duo or some other MS. They can cost up to 3 times more than MicroSD. An awsome phone with a microSD slot is the Nokia N73. It costs a lot but it's worth it. Or you could get a Nokia 6233. Roughly the same price. My friend has it. Also an awsome phone. =D
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

The 6233 the same price as a N73?
that would be very very weird and wrong actually, cause the 6233 doesn't even come close to what a N73 can do.
And I should know cause I have both :wink:
The 6233 has diffirent software and has no WiFi.
It's a good phone to use as a phone, it has all the normal fuctions of a phone (decent camera, MP3, radio etc) but the N73 is more of a PDA (just like the other N series)
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

@ Stereo: Yes, I have already realized that Sonys use Memory Stick Micros. And I already know that they cost more, but the phone I am (hypothetically) getting comes with a 512 mb Memory Stick. What I meant to say was that if I didn't buy a Sony, I would most likely have to purchase some sort of memory (SD).

And there is actually a $150 difference between the 6233 and N73 (Out of my price range).

I've looked at the 6233 and it seems to be a very good phone for its price (about $210 w/o shipping).

After doing a side-by-side comparison (excluding physical details), it seems as if the Sony W610 has an HTML browser, better battery life, better multimedia player, better call records/memory while the 6233 has 3G, better resolution, a calculator, calendar, and visual radio (I don't know what that is).

IMO, the Sony better suits my needs as it has better multimedia and an HTML browser all for a significantly lower net price. The 6233 would be great, but the 3G would be useless here (North America + no 3G in my area yet).

And if you now take the physical attributes into consideration, the Sony looks better, is lighter and has a thinner profile than the Nokia.

Edit:
Supposing I did purchase the W610, which color would look better?
-Silver with a black back
-Black with an orange back
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

One time, I got my phone stuck in a tree. 8)
Sorry to get off topic a little bit... Please continue.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Hmmm, N73 has WiFi? I thought it doesn't. :?
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Andre_online wrote:Hmmm, N73 has WiFi? I thought it doesn't. :?
It doesn't. Who said it does?
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

TheStig wrote:The 6233 the same price as a N73?
that would be very very weird and wrong actually, cause the 6233 doesn't even come close to what a N73 can do.
It's a good phone to use as a phone, it has all the normal fuctions of a phone (decent camera, MP3, radio etc) but the N73 is more of a PDA (just like the other N series)
>_< Lol I meant it's roughly the same price as a W610i.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

2furio wrote:
Andre_online wrote:Hmmm, N73 has WiFi? I thought it doesn't. :?
It doesn't. Who said it does?
Sorry my mistake... confused it with something else.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

And that's exactly the reason why I'd choose the 6234 (6233) any day. I have yet to encounter a good phone that uses Symbian OS. The N70 was a complete disaster, E50 isn't much better, SonyEricsson M600i/W950 is as unstable as winME. As far as I've seen the N73, I wasn't impressed by it either. If you want a responsive and stable phone, never get a phone with symbian OS. And it doesn't matter if it's s60, s80 or uiq.
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Post by snoopdogg879 »

the bad thing about my iPhone is that the internet is really really reaally slow because it uses AT&T's internet service which is crap
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

That's why I consider iPhone buyers to be ''pwned''.

It looks good, but what's underneath it is very disappointing. The contract is very expensive, thus you're pretty much getting raped as you should get much more with a price tag like that.
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Post by snoopdogg879 »

im thinking of selling it on e-bay and getting a slvr, so i can have itunes on it, or a razr just cuz i like them
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Bojan wrote:
And that's exactly the reason why I'd choose the 6234 (6233) any day. I have yet to encounter a good phone that uses Symbian OS. The N70 was a complete disaster, E50 isn't much better, SonyEricsson M600i/W950 is as unstable as winME. As far as I've seen the N73, I wasn't impressed by it either. If you want a responsive and stable phone, never get a phone with symbian OS. And it doesn't matter if it's s60, s80 or uiq.
I do however choose the N73 above the 6233, I find it to be more versatile then the 6233.
The 6233 is a facelifted 6230i (wich in terms of looks did not improve imo.
True the OS on the 6233 is faster and easier, but then it's not that diffirent from the N series menu etc.
It also has one very annoying thing and that is that it sets some settings back to factory settings as soon as you turn of the phone or the batt dies. (all provider settings (menu settings that is..) my 6233 is edited one, edited by my provider (so also simlocked) and has some special fuctions for that specific provider, wich I don't like so I turn them of, but as soon as it's turned back on (when turned off or battery empty) it sets these settings back on... wich annoys me extremely...but then it was to good to be true to get a decent operator BS free phone with a low cost contract... :S
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

@ TheStig: (Bracket (Much)?)

I'm about to order my Ericsson W610i:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-SONY-ERICSSON-W6 ... dZViewItem

I've researched literally for days (combined total time since 3 months ago) to find a replacement phone/mp3 player and I think I have found it. Should I consider anything else before purchasing?
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Yep, I think you should re-consider. I think this phone is nice too! Sony Ericsson S500i. :)

And, Sony Ericsson W580i, which has AWESOME speakers. My friend has one, and the music quality is superb on the speakers. Loud and clear. :)

Return to “General Discussion”