Help with DDS files

Discuss editing Need for Speed Underground 2.
skupilkinson
Stock
Stock

Help with DDS files

Post by skupilkinson »

Hi guys,

I know this must have been answered before but I can't find anything that helps me.

I use Paint Shop Pro 8, I've downloaded the DDS plugin and followed every instruction I can find to install it to Paintshop. It still doesn't open the DDS files I've downloaded here to view them. I keep getting:

"Plugin has returned an unknown error."

Then I downloaded a program called DDSView, it opens the DDS files I've downloaded on these NFS sites but the images are nothing more than a black image, no other details.

So then I downloaded a program called DDS Converter 2.1, to try and convert the DDS files just to see them before putting them into the game. All that happens is that the black image is cinverted from DDS to say JPG but the black image remains.See image.
Image2.jpg
Can anyone help me out here??

See I also thought it'd be cool to use (with authors permission of course) some of these vinyl files to use as textures for papermodels of our favourite cars. Like F&F and other well known race cars for example.

Any help would be appreciated. Greatly.

EDIT* Also, the Bintex program. Does it work with NFS:U2 .BIN files? I keep getting "Subscript out of range" messages.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Re: Help with DDS files

Post by taz947 »

From I what I remember,you must download a .DDS plugin for Photoshop if you wanna mess with some vinyls.But they won't work with NFSU2,only NFSU1.
skupilkinson
Stock
Stock

Post by skupilkinson »

Oh. Don't have Photoshop, I'll look into that.

Is there something to these NFS textures to make them different to other DDS files I've converted? For them not to work with my DDS viewer I mean.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

The newer version of the DDS plugin for photoshop doesn't work for Paint Shop Pro. You'll need to find an older version.
skupilkinson
Stock
Stock

Post by skupilkinson »

Ok, thanks for that. What about bintex? Does that work for NFS U2?
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

Bintex works only with NFSU1.It will import the vinyls in NFSU2,but you won't see them.
skupilkinson
Stock
Stock

Post by skupilkinson »

Not having much luck then am I.

Is there anywhere that I can download these vinyl designs in another format like .JPG? I'd still like to use some for my papermodel designs, that is if the author gave his/her blessing.
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

Try looking at the alpha channel with ddsview.
Most of the vinyl data is often in the alpha channel, and the RGB channel is just plain black/white.
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

Here's a direct link to .dds plugins for Photoshop (but they work on Jasc Paint Shop Pro for me):
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/to ... 7.1915.exe

And another one for a .dds thumbnail viewer
http://download.nvidia.com/developer/NV ... viewer.exe

Here's where I got them from.
Hope it helps.
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
brian o'connor II
Stock
Stock

Post by brian o'connor II »

HEY i'M NEW IN THIS, BUT I WOULD LIKE SOMEONE TO TELL ME WHICH PROGRAMS Y HAVE TO DOWNLOAD AND WHICH PROGRAM Y HAVE TO USE TO OPEN .BIN FILES AND CHANGE THINGS FOR THE GAME

YOU CAN TELL ME AT THE FORUM OR CONTACT ME IN LP_DARKSOLDIER_WS@HOTMAIL.COM

Return to “Editing”