drag and tuning tips

Dragster hangout for all drag related discussions, including top times, best setups...
RedRevolver
Ricer
Ricer

drag and tuning tips

Post by RedRevolver »

I need some serious tips for drag racing. Right now i have a 640 bhp Rx-7 that i'm dragging, but i need some help cuz i cant seem to get good times. One problem is that I can't seem to get any "perfect shifts" it's going through the gears faster than i can change them, and i've got a g25 manual clutch, so i can change gears fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Frenzy
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: drag and tuning tips

Post by Frenzy »

Flappy paddles?
RedRevolver
Ricer
Ricer

Post by RedRevolver »

i could, but the problem really is that I'll shift when it hits the green, and as soon as it's in gear it's time to shift again, and by the time i do that it's redlined. So....too much power or just some gearing issues or what? Someone that knows more about cars could probably give some good advice.
Tsarg
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Tsarg »

I hope someone replies to this cause im needing some tips on how to improve my times. While they are good they are not the best ive seen. So far my best time in the 1/4 mile is 7.11 which is pretty good, but on the 1/2 mile i cant seem to get below the 11 second mark.

I know i need some tweaking in my performance since ive been using the default setup, but to be honest since i know shiznit about cars i have no idea what the different options in the tuning are for. Sometimes i feel like tom cruise in "Days of Thunder" when he tells his mechanic that he doesnt know shiznit about cars ..... he just knows how to drive. Well ..... thats me .... give me a mean machine and ill race it ... but dont expect me to tune it :? :? :?
Dragin' is my crack!!!
simonfzhao
Ricer
Ricer

Post by simonfzhao »

RedRevolver wrote:I need some serious tips for drag racing. Right now i have a 640 bhp Rx-7 that i'm dragging, but i need some help cuz i cant seem to get good times. One problem is that I can't seem to get any "perfect shifts" it's going through the gears faster than i can change them, and i've got a g25 manual clutch, so i can change gears fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dont shift with the external clutch, use the one behind the wheel, that'll be much better :D

my question is..what do you guys think is the best wheelie car? i tried both a 800+BHP viper and a 1k+BHP supra, and neither worked very well..the farthest I got was 141M..and the Drag King, or Queen, does like 160-180 :S
MaxXwell
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MaxXwell »

i got 1k+ bhp evo and cant reach them with their muscle cars on 1/4 mile.their accel. is just too good but my topspeed is better.
i need also some tune tips :S
Frenzy
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Frenzy »

Make your gears shorter then.
MaxXwell
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MaxXwell »

i changed already the gears but if i do them more shorter my engine feel like it will blow up in the 6th gear...
Tsarg
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Tsarg »

simonfzhao wrote:my question is..what do you guys think is the best wheelie car? i tried both a 800+BHP viper and a 1k+BHP supra, and neither worked very well..the farthest I got was 141M..and the Drag King, or Queen, does like 160-180 :S
Im doing it ith my 648bhp 67" camaro SS and normally the least i do on a wheelie is 270m. So far the best one ive had was 409m.
Dragin' is my crack!!!
simonfzhao
Ricer
Ricer

Post by simonfzhao »

Tsarg wrote:
simonfzhao wrote:my question is..what do you guys think is the best wheelie car? i tried both a 800+BHP viper and a 1k+BHP supra, and neither worked very well..the farthest I got was 141M..and the Drag King, or Queen, does like 160-180 :S
Im doing it ith my 648bhp 67" camaro SS and normally the least i do on a wheelie is 270m. So far the best one ive had was 409m.
haha i bought a Charger R/T..or maybe it was Challenger..dont rmb..with max upgrades..and it did like 300+ constantly :D and it always went over 75% grip for me :D
Tsarg
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Tsarg »

Seems like american muscle is the best for drag racing so far. Ive tried a coupple non muscle cars and i havent like them that much. I tried the Evo, RX8, Civic and the golf (apart from my camaro and the mustang i took from the drag queen) and so far i stay with the american muscle by far.

I need to try the hemi cuda, GTO and the charger as well.
Dragin' is my crack!!!
simonfzhao
Ricer
Ricer

Post by simonfzhao »

hmm for japanese cars, try the Supra, it's pretty nice :D
banionis
Ricer
Ricer

Post by banionis »

I'm dragging as well with GTO 65 and GT500.

Now I'm trying a Dodge Challenger, but it is turn left in final of course. What can I do?
simonfzhao
Ricer
Ricer

Post by simonfzhao »

banionis wrote:I'm dragging as well with GTO 65 and GT500.

Now I'm trying a Dodge Challenger, but it is turn left in final of course. What can I do?
hmm? what do you mean turn left?
the Challenger R/T is the best wheelie car :D

btw I uploaded the pics :D
banionis
Ricer
Ricer

Post by banionis »

When I put 4th gear, it start to go into left corner... I dont know, it looks like high torque and the aerodynamics dont be prepared to this... dunno...
simonfzhao
Ricer
Ricer

Post by simonfzhao »

i guess that's when it's over-steering..cause its too fast/slippery to control :S
banionis
Ricer
Ricer

Post by banionis »

simonfzhao wrote:i guess that's when it's over-steering..cause its too fast/slippery to control :S
Any idea what I can do?
simonfzhao
Ricer
Ricer

Post by simonfzhao »

lol..not really..i just hold my wheel very still, and when it tilts a way that i dont want it to go, i tilt it in the opposite VERYYY slowly lol
banionis
Ricer
Ricer

Post by banionis »

I need buy a wheel joystick to play with that :oops:
simonfzhao
Ricer
Ricer

Post by simonfzhao »

banionis wrote:I need buy a wheel joystick to play with that :oops:
lol a wheel is easier..just wait a while for like boxing day or something, hopefully the G25s will drop in price..that's what I'm waiting for..lol..i'm using one of the older ones right now..but it works pretty nicely :wink:
banionis
Ricer
Ricer

Post by banionis »

simonfzhao wrote:lol a wheel is easier..just wait a while for like boxing day or something, hopefully the G25s will drop in price..that's what I'm waiting for..lol..i'm using one of the older ones right now..but it works pretty nicely :wink:
I just have a Playstation USB adapter :(
speedo52
Ricer
Ricer

Post by speedo52 »

ive got a 701bhp 1970's Plymouth Hemi Cuda that i use for drag races,problem is im still a bit of a noob at tuning the drivetrain so has anyone got any good set-ups cos' im doing an average of 10.63 sec 1/4 mile times ive got it to the 9's but when i upped the power to 701bhp it all went wrong and i know it could get into the 8's :D so please can anyone help me :!:
icantfindmye-brake
Ricer
Ricer

Post by icantfindmye-brake »

I think you should find it out your self. Go practice on a race and have a bit of fun tuning you 'cuda that's how i did it with my car. I know it will take a bit of time with this, but its worth it :wink:
Tsarg
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Tsarg »

Well im not much of a tuner since i normally get all confused about the way the settings should go in the car, but i must admit that so far tunning my camaro turned out to be pretty entertaining.

However im still trying to get someone's advice on how to avoid the wheelies at the start, cause thats killing me. Someone said suspension set to stiff, then someone else said something about the tire pressure, but to be honest im not getting anywhere with it. Im still doing wheelies at the start and it is very annoying. I shoud be back online by January 14th so i hope by then someone can tell me how to avoid the wheelies.

Cheers all!!!
Dragin' is my crack!!!
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Tsarg wrote:However im still trying to get someone's advice on how to avoid the wheelies at the start, cause thats killing me. Someone said suspension set to stiff, then someone else said something about the tire pressure, but to be honest im not getting anywhere with it.
All sound advice, but the key is to have "only" stage 2 suspension. Stage 3/4 will wheelie with high hp no matter how you set it up.

Return to “The Dragstrip”