Your Thoughts about NFS: Pro Street

2007 Need for Speed ProStreet
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Re: Your Thoughts about NFS: Pro Street

Post by DarrenR21373 »

Changing the subject:

This is an annoying thing in Pro Street - not sure if this has been mentioned before but nevermind - rolling your car ALWAYS results in it being totalled (at least it does for me).

I managed to screw up near to the end of lap 3 of a race yesterday, turned over at about 20 MPH, rolled once, slowly, and ended back on my wheels... this sort of roll would never have written the car off in real life (especially if it is fitted with a roll cage). It would still be driveable, although not too pretty.

Ho hum.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

yeah your right.
I had the same thing several times, I once hit something at a slow speed and the car fell on it's side, and at that time nothing was wrong, but after being motionless for a second it rold on again and landed on it's roof and BAM, TOTALED!

I also did some massive flips in the air and land in it's wheels and no problem I could continue, but as soon as the roof hits the ground. your done.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

And yet in the even more arcadish Burnout Paradise, you only total if the car STAYS on its roof. And Kammy, there was a time when rich, stuck-up people were the only ones that could afford PS2s and Xboxes. Quit complaining.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

TheStig wrote:yeah your right.
I had the same thing several times, I once hit something at a slow speed and the car fell on it's side, and at that time nothing was wrong, but after being motionless for a second it rold on again and landed on it's roof and BAM, TOTALED!

I also did some massive flips in the air and land in it's wheels and no problem I could continue, but as soon as the roof hits the ground. your done.
That is probably among the top 3 of my list of things in ProStreet that bug me. Rolling over should just add damage to the car (unless you were going at such a high speed that it really did kill your car) instead of totalling it.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I managed to get alot more damage in a crash (visually) and still only have "light" damage.

The damage model looks nice at first but it is rather flawed, did anyone notice that you basicly only dent your car (and in really heavy crash you loose bumpers and the hood etc.) but you don't or hardly scratch your car. normally if you hit a wall slightly you get massive scratches on your car, in PS, your side has alot of small dents in it and that's it.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

That brings back nightmares of when I was driving my Level 2 Equipped Civic in a Grip Race at the Willow in Battle Machine. I took a corner so fast that it made me lose control of my handling and rolled me on my side.

It happened to me numerous times after that on the Speed Challenges on Single Player mode (solo Race Day mode). I wrecked 4 Bonus Cars specifically tuned for the mode, such as the Chevy Camaro SS, the Lotus Elise, the Ford GT, and the Dodge Charger R/T (all of which happened in the Nevada Highway in Nitrocide).

And while we are on the topic of totals so far, I also ended up eating the Finish Pole in Drift with the Bonus Dodge Viper SRT10. It wouldn't have mattered, though; I was going to lose that event anyway.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
setsunakute
Ricer
Ricer

Post by setsunakute »

The big no-no's that I find with this game (many of which were a problem since Most Wanted):
  • The drift nanny
  • Turning off driving aids doesn't really turn them off
  • ABS is an on-off affair
  • You can still "heat up your tires" with the clutch lifted
  • "Autosculpt"
  • The much-bragged tuning system is utterly pathetic in comparison to Gran Turismo
  • Still the same ugly/functionless aero kits/wings from Most Wanted
  • Nitrous
  • Why can you only install one racing seat?
  • Decal resolution is weewee-poor
  • The selection of decals is disgusting and is littered with worthless North American brands
  • No works decals (Nismo, TRD, Cosworth, Mugen, etc.)?
  • The wheelie competition
  • Utter absence of turbo lag
  • The physics engine is different for drift events
  • I can accelerate in 3rd gear as fast as I would in 1st for almost every car
  • Why is TCS on if it doesn't combat wheelspin?
  • Too much performance stake in curb weight (AE86 outaccelerating my BNR34?)
  • System requirements for the PC are ridiculous
  • No Honda S2000?
  • Rollcage does nothing to chassis stiffness
  • Rear GT-style wings are only available in carbon fibre texture; can't be painted
  • Widebody kits don't improve handling
  • Wider tire widths yield no improvement in traction
  • Lack of real-world mechanical units for tuning
  • "Engine upgrades" have a more drastic impact than a gigantic "stage 3 turbocharger"
  • AI drivers cause more damage to my car than I do
  • The juvenile digital tachometer, speedometer, and boost meter
  • Engine can only 'blow' during a drag race
  • No S14 Silvia
  • Spring and shock rates are inconsistent between cars (some are inherently MUCH firmer)
  • Why is every car ridiculously lowered in the car lot before you buy them?
  • No MR-S
  • Ugly bonnet designs
  • No Ebisu East Road Course
  • Tire smoke is ridiculously overplayed
  • Custom exhaust tips can only be used with an Autosculpt aero kit
  • Wheel choices are littered with undesirable companies and wheels (where's Advan?)
  • Why does almost every wheel have a polished chrome lip?
  • Wheel offsets do nothing
  • Downforce is hardly influenced by the rear wing (it should be)
  • The whole Top Speed Challenge concept
  • How many Mustangs and Corvettes does this game need?
  • No Celsior? (Lexus GS Twin Turbo)
  • Can I ever accelerate without wheelspin and a gigantic hurricane of smoke?
  • A lot of boring courses of no real challenge
  • The drafting system is done completely wrong
  • No tire wear
  • The announcer gets annoying sometimes
  • "Grip Class" races are wholly unnecessary
  • Tuning/description/effect of sway bars and tire pressure is completely wrong
  • No discernible improvement between any drivetrain upgrades
  • Complete lack of LSD tuning
  • The first Civic you win, which is essentially stock, can do a 270km/h pass on the drag strip?
  • No Integra Type-R DC5
  • The 1000+ vinyls and decals need thumbnail previews
  • Music is still shiznit compared to their in-house material of NFS2 and NFS3 (1997-98)
  • Most upgrades cost obscene amounts of money for negligible improvement over its prior stage
  • No weather effects or wet driving conditions
  • Handbrake in drift events has the wrong effect
  • No NSX
  • The GT-R prototype is unnecessary
  • No custom or more readable gauges
  • Why is there a Spearco decal when there are no intercoolers?
  • No discernible difference in torque curve between supercharger and turbocharger
  • Heating up my tires for drag events yields no discernible improvement in launch
  • Why is the exhaust tip on the wrong side, depending on which Autosculpt kit I use? And why two?
  • No effect on performance from wheel weight and diameter
  • Choosing a car to win when dominating a race day ejects me from the event, regardless of me not finishing some races
  • Progressive Insurance product placement makes no absolutely no sense.
I prefer the good old days of NFS2, Hot Pursuit, and Porsche Unleashed.

This is EA's fifth failed attempt at 'pseudo-realistic tuning'. I don't want to use kiddie slidebars to tune my car like they do in Forza; I need real numbers and units, like in Gran Turismo: kgmm, ps/kg, drive ratios to the thousandth, bar, psi, mu coefficient, kg/cm, etc.

I think ProStreet is a mediocre game. It's certainly a vast improvement over Most Wanted and particularly over Carbon as far as driving dynamics and racing (the key aspects of a racing game, no?) are concerned.
Turismo 4
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Wow. How long, as in days, did you take to observe all these faults? LOL!
setsunakute
Ricer
Ricer

Post by setsunakute »

LMAO... around a week of on-and-off enjoyment. But most of these problems were strikingly obvious at first play.
Turismo 4
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Proof is found, you can overdo it with complaining.

Congrats mate, you did prove that one thing.

Sure PS has flaws (as did the prev NFS games)
But what you are doing is not just naming flaws, is in alot of ways becomes useless whining.
A you want alot of japanese cars (S14, MR2 NSX (wich is in the game, same goes for the DC5 be it both the US/North American version of Acura, but then it is build there.
And you are complaining about what certain cars are doing in the game.
I mean what do you want, just be glad they put in those cars.
If you want to go back to the classic NFS then also say goodby to your Japanese carlist.

Sure alot of stuff you are correct, but like said you can overdo it.
Bradgranger
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Bradgranger »

Be So Much Better If It Had Free Roam..Cruise etc.
Bigg Let Down When First Played It
But Apart From That Bloody Good Game lol!
setsunakute
Ricer
Ricer

Post by setsunakute »

TheStig wrote:Proof is found, you can overdo it with complaining.

Congrats mate, you did prove that one thing.

Sure PS has flaws (as did the prev NFS games)
But what you are doing is not just naming flaws, is in alot of ways becomes useless whining.
A you want alot of japanese cars (S14, MR2 NSX (wich is in the game, same goes for the DC5 be it both the US/North American version of Acura, but then it is build there.
And you are complaining about what certain cars are doing in the game.
I mean what do you want, just be glad they put in those cars.
If you want to go back to the classic NFS then also say goodby to your Japanese carlist.

Sure alot of stuff you are correct, but like said you can overdo it.
Sorry for not being insurmountably constructive and ritually glorifying in a thread that, last I checked, called for a personal assessment of the game.
Turismo 4
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I'd rather not quote that massive list (didn't know it was going to take up half the page!!), so let me just say that for the most part, I agree with you. Apart from the niggles of the cars (why isn't the S15, Acura NSX and RSX good enough?) and the extensive list of visual complaints that nobody's really going to notice or care about anyway, of course....

Oh and if the PC vinyls are low resolution, then buy a console. PS3 vinyls are absolutely crystal-clear, it's the shadows that are absolutely stupid...
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

Yes, even on the highest shadow setting, I can still see the jagged edges.
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
setsunakute
Ricer
Ricer

Post by setsunakute »

powerof1000 wrote:Yes, even on the highest shadow setting, I can still see the jagged edges.
The game engine is probably having a problem implementing soft shadow transparencies. It's a very compute-intensive feature that is probably refusing to turn on altogether for either a lack of rendering power or a game glitch.
Turismo 4
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Sure you do have some valid points there, but man was that list big, and in all honesty most things you said where pure Pro Street related, I can't remember them being in Most Wanted for instance, wich I found to be a pretty good game (compared the the recent NFS games)
Sure there are plenty of things I don't like about PS, mostly the whole driving physics, cause they are neighter sim nor simple no BS arcade racer style.
Mainly because the physics simply are not right (massive understeer when not accelerating in a FWD car, and no understeer when accelerating... etc)

But I find it a better game then Carbon, wich IMO was pretty horrid.
00bluees
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 00bluees »

Ok so here goes, i'm in the react sessions in career so i'm not done yet but so far this is what i think of pro street. Now I just came to NFS:PS from forza 2, so I am a sim guy but have played nfs since #3 (hot pursuit) i missed porshce unleashed and thought that high stakes was the best game. in the process of hunting it down to play again. most wanted was also a great game however there were too many police chases towards the end. it got on my nerves. Carbon was a crap game as i beat it two times in two weeks then never touched it again. anywho, on with the show. here are my thoughts.
- the whole "modes" idea is retarded, if i wanted to use a supra for example(i have different cars but lets assume), for all of my races, i need to buy 4 cars, why? this is stupid. i thought the point of blueprints in the game was to take care of different setups for different race modes. i was very wrong. when you do switch modes why do all of the vinyls that i spent an hour on, dissapear? also since I am a Sim fan, i am now totally sick of the difference in handling between the modes. drifting is drving on ice, drag is infinite grip no matter what, grip needs improvement to say the least, same goes for speed. i know its an arcade based game too but still. the drifting is totally wrong, the brakes don't work as they should, i won't go farther than that theres already alot of topics on that one.
-if i have a stage 3 turbo by hks, why would i want to win a stage 3 turbo by another brand, because it does nothing more (if it were real life it might) but in this game it doesn't because its a game. it just gives me another usless prize that will go unused, and also seems to always occur one win or dominate after i just bought that part, which causes me to swear at the video game.
- blueprint summary vs dyno results, why are the stats different? its just stupid.
- there is no "my cars" menu to go get a free unlocked car nad use unlocked parts to make it cool and mes around with it. nope i've got a better idea, lets make the people play through the game 39 times so they can buy all of the cars. jerks.
- vinyl and decal customization takes way to long to adjust, move, etc. or even just find what you are looking for. searching through 155 decals to find one you want takes a while. if i were to spend 1 hour making a car in pro street. i could have the same result in forza2 in at least half that time. for a sim game, the vinyl customization destroys this game which really was designed for customizing.
- the EA website pisses me off to no end. i decided, hey ill upload some pics onto the website and post them around wherever, so after 45 minutes of jumping throughs hoops and registering and logging in 3 times for some reason, i got to look at my pictures that look like i took them with my cellphone, when the car was on the tv. and whats worse, i could not find for the life of me any way to contact EA and ream them out as i was flaming mad, which made it worse.
- the all wheel drive cars handle like pure garbage unles you really mess with the tuning. i mean they try to make a sim but then blow it completety with the physics. if you take an sti with 350bhp and a 240sx with 350bhp and generally matching mods, the sti will blow away the 240 in almost every way. maybe not drift but still come on.
- for the amount of time and money they spent on hyping up the game with commercials and tv specials adn endless videos on the internet. they could have made a better game. before it came out i thought, wow this will be a 13 out of 10 game. yeh well its a 6. better luck next time.
- the cars total way to easy, been said lots before
- the nitrous is still dumb, press the button once, it all goes away in a flash, fine for drag dumb for everything else. and certainly not how it really works.
- the announcer. oh my god. i swear i heard "ryan cooper" 3800 times in the first day i played this. the speech is now turned down to 0.
- the music is garbage, the last decent soundtrack was U2 or most wanted, this is garbage. and still only what 30 songs tops, and even set on random you only hear what, 5?
- and lastly a gran turismo note. i'm sick of people comparing the entire pro street game to gran turismo. its not supposed to be the same game. yeh i know i compared aspects of forza2 to pro street but i;m not expecting PS to be the same at all. and also gran turismo is a horrible simulation game. any of you who haven't played forza but love GT. GO PLAY FORZA. i guarantee at least 80% of you will never love GT as much again. i can't stand how much of a sim it isn't, and hey the same tire sounds as GT2, you've got to be kidding me, they don't even sound like tires at all. i always loved gran turismo untill GT4. then it occured to me that, wow its the same game. that game was a big letdown but thats not really for this forum.

so despite all of those bad points (and many more i'm sure) i still love playing this game. it won't have the staying power of forza in my 360, but i'l play it a hell of alot more than carbon. for all gamers sake i hope EA opens their f'in ears and listens to people for the next game, and makes it better. it goes a hell of a long way if you just listen a little instead of making something you think everyone will like (like this game) and then having everyone mad at you. adn i'd like to add this site is great and i love the forums although i thought there would be more action on them, whats the big forum for pro street? or is this the biggest one? anyways happy gaming everyone.
00bluees
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 00bluees »

haha. i just realised how long my last post was. wow. thanks for reading the whole thing to whoever did.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Forza can have a superior vinyl system on 512mb of ram... so why can't NFS do better for all new-gen (no longer next) platforms? The mouse should be used to drag and drop vinyls with the keyboard for fine adjustments, and there should be more layers... transparent vinyls are also welcome, and what's with the distortion from bumper to side, etc. Some of the boywork skews vinyl work awkwardly too. I think NFS can learn from Forza.
Also, choosing parts separately like in Underground is better; this old system with auto sculpt still being in place can allow for much better bodywork... also, more choices, and more kits made for the car such as real designs would be much better. The current kits don't suit the car 100%.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

And when you make changes to the bumpers, why does it glitch and make it look as if I haven't done anything when I move to another part of the car, then cover it up when I come back by putting the changes back in place?

In terms of physics, if this is supposed to be more simulator-like, then learn from the REAL sim-games, with Forza and Gran Turismo being a couple of examples. Although there is one thing that other games have over GT, and that is jump landings. For realism, both physics and graphics wise, look no further than CMR: DiRT.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

DarrenR21373 wrote:Changing the subject:

This is an annoying thing in Pro Street - not sure if this has been mentioned before but nevermind - rolling your car ALWAYS results in it being totalled (at least it does for me).

I managed to screw up near to the end of lap 3 of a race yesterday, turned over at about 20 MPH, rolled once, slowly, and ended back on my wheels... this sort of roll would never have written the car off in real life (especially if it is fitted with a roll cage). It would still be driveable, although not too pretty.

Ho hum.
It's weird how you under steer slow to about 20 and then your brakes fade and you roll over after hitting the bump in nevada doing 19... go wide there and you can't stop.

And about being more sim like, GT and forza aren't that real... you have to look at PC sims for that.
gagtooth
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by gagtooth »

baumaxx1 wrote: And about being more sim like, GT and forza aren't that real... you have to look at PC sims for that.
Very true, GT and Forza are the best you can get on consoles but PC is another level above them, LFS being my choice and then you have GTR2 and Rfactor to add some more. It's just a shame that most developers favor the consoles now.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

They favor consoles because ppl tend to buy more consoles rather than buying parts for PC. It's also great what you said: LFS is one of the best sims out there. The only thing it misses it's a sense of speed and real cars, like Mazda, Nissan, Porsche, etc. Just imagine a combination of LFS and NFS...it would be awesome imho.

Xturbo.
gagtooth
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by gagtooth »

It does'nt need real cars, it's good as it is. Sure it would be nice if it had real cars but the way it is = great. They could probaly pay for the licenses though. it is truly a brilliant game even though there is only two people working on it, well three but one does the website. :D
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

gagtooth wrote:
baumaxx1 wrote: And about being more sim like, GT and forza aren't that real... you have to look at PC sims for that.
Very true, GT and Forza are the best you can get on consoles but PC is another level above them, LFS being my choice and then you have GTR2 and Rfactor to add some more. It's just a shame that most developers favor the consoles now.
....No.

Have you ever actually used a force feedback steering wheel in the interior view in an Audi TT 3.2 Quattro in GT5: Prologue? No? Didn't think so.

The way that the Logitech wheels have been implemented in GT5 is absolutely AWESOME, almost like the real thing. Sure you can get steering wheels for PC as well, but I'm telling you now, if gaming steering wheels didn't exist I'd rather have the SIXAXIS than a keyboard...

Return to “ProStreet”