Digital Photography

Everything that has to do with art goes into this board. Post your creations and hear what other people have to say about it!
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Digital Photography

Post by boganbusman »

lol Haz, train otaku :lol:

I like the 4th pic, for some reason that blue train reminds me of Optimus Prime.

*falls asleep from reading the word 'train' so many times . . . *
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

That's much better, Zero - a lot less noise. :) I like how you got the blur of the clouds moving in the background, during the exposure. Also, not sure why, but having the camera further away and zoomed in, like you do in this latest photo, looks much better, in my opinion, than having the camera closer, like in your previous photos.

The delay setting is also what I used to minimize blurring of the image from pushing the button, before I got a remote.
boganbusman wrote:lol Haz, train otaku :lol:
Oh God, you should see some of the real foamers. "DISTRIBUTED POWER!! 8D" :x
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I have in-camera stabilization, b*tch. :D No need for any timers on my 6 foot tripod. :mrgreen:
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I have image stabilization, too, but there still might be noticeable blur from the camera moving. :P
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

You have IS on the lens, mine is inside the camera, which means I can use it on any lens (even the old old film SLR lenses). CCD-shift rulez! :mrgreen:
I'm just hyper, don't mind me. :P
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Regardless of whether it's on the lens or the camera body, you can still get motion blur. ;)
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Yeah, but it's a lot more convenient than looking for specific lenses with IS than using any lens you like regardless whether it has IS or not...
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Granted, but that's not the point I was getting at. :lol:
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

A few I found lying around on the desktop computer...
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

The first 2 are awesome.

Wish my Cybershot didn't break . :x
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

This is where I live...
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Damn, you must be raking it in :shock:
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Holy ef, Haz, that is one hell of a picture! Look at the size of that sun! Nice work.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

boganbusman wrote:Damn, you must be raking it in :shock:
Did I mention we had the highest average gasoline prices in the country, for a while? Go figure, ja? :P

Right, so I've finally got my pics from Pittsburgh up.

Prolongued exposures at a rave/dance/whatever.
Image Image Image Image

And one shot with the flash and a 1/200" exposure. It's funny how boring it looks. :lol:

I was on an artsy kick. :P

No, I have no idea who that guy is, nor do I know if he knew I was taking a picture of him. :P

This was actually a 5" exposure with an aperture of Æ’/22 to get the starburst effect from the lights.

Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

In the pic of the roof, some of the lights are out. :P

I like the one with the guy. (Not cause of the guy, cause of the composition/location/whatever...)
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

Trying out HDR...
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Hmm... Looked up HDRI, and all I really got was what it is and how it works, but nothing really saying how to do it, except programs that do it for you ($). The photo looks really nice (though noisy) and I'd like to be able to use similar effects - mind sharing how you did it?
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

Yeah I used a program to do that. I didn't make a 'proper' HDR though, I used only 1 image. For proper HDR you need more than one image of the same thing but with different settings for each shot (I don't really understand it yet). But yeah, I 'got' the program. You can get a trial here. It's simple enough.
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

A normal dynamic range is relatively limited. This is most notable in photos such as landscapes where the ground has proper lighting and contrast and the sky is very bright and undefined, or vice-versa and the ground is very dark. HDRI creates a higher dynamic range by combining two or more images of the same scene with different exposure settings and dynamic range. We'll say a neutral exposure of a scene has a dynamic ange of 0. This exposure will have both the ground and the sky with similar lighting and contrast, but they will be dull and undefined. A second image with a dynamic range of +1 will be used to capture detail in the ground, though the sky will be too bright. A third image with a dynamic range of -1 will be used for detail in the sky, and the ground will be too dark. Each of these images has a relatively limited dynamic range on their own, but when combined, the single, resulting image will have a much higher dynamic range of 1-, 0, +1, so both the ground and the sky will be well-defined.

That software you used is one of the first things I stumbled across. Looks like you can do all sorts of stuff with it, but all I want to do is perform HDRI combinations and not spend $50 for stuff I'm not going to use. :P
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I took a 10+ minute exposure, earlier, tonight, to try and catch the movement of the stars, though, never having attempted it, before, I didn't know what setting would be optimal. It being a night-shot, I figured a sensitive sensor would be best, so I set the ISO to 1600. This was a bad idea, apparently, as the image came out almost entirely white. :P However, with brightness and contrast settings, I came up with the image, below. I'll be attempting this, again, with a lower ISO.

This is a 30-second exposure, hence the motion-blur of the clouds and the flowers. Really like the contrast in this.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

The first one is so grainy, lol. Definetly needs a lower ISO. :lol:

The second one is pretty cool, but it's hard to see the flowers because of the blur.

I tried something new today! :D I held an old video camera lens piece up to my camera lens and BAM! I have a super-macro lens. The photo below was taken 1cm away from the object and the little thing in the middle was no bigger than 3mm tall. Fun.
Last edited by Stereo on 15 Aug 2008, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
T.J. Grewal
Ricer
Ricer

Post by T.J. Grewal »

Hi People, some of you know me and i guess some of you don't. My name is TJ and im at an art gallery for the summer, i need cool photographers who have new ideas and creative ways of thinking to join One of the Largest Contributive Art Project. It's called glocal, i see a lot of talent in some of these pictures, who ever is interested in photography and interesting ways in doing photography, please add me on msn - t_j_grewal@hotmail.com this isn't a spam or anything, check my profile, i am a long time member on the showroom. add me if you would like to post your pictures online and wish to contribute to this art project. For those who already know about flickr, add me on flickr as well - tjgrewal505
add me as a friend and join the "glocalproject" group. check out all the cool shots there. Theres also a photo contest, so if u win, you can win a digital camera hack kit weekly :) msg, add or e-mail me. 8) looking forward hearing from all of you good photographers.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

5" exposure on US 101 from inside the car. Came out surprisingly steady.

30" exposure. Not-so-steady, but cool photo, nonetheless. :P

Few artsy shots from my camping trip near Santa Cruz:

I'm a big fan of candid shots. :)

I took this while waiting for a text message.

It's just a feather buried in leaves, but I think the highlight to this photo (hahaha :P) is the lighting.

Two nature shots:
Image Image
Both taken with the 55-250mm lens with a wide aperture for shallow depth-of-field.

And one last shot; out with family playing a game of frisbee golf.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I was trying 15" and 30" exposures yesterday at night. My buds made a laser-ish show in the fog yesterday, and we have a spinning laser that looks like a cone in the fog. So I used that but it came out badly. Then I started to change the focus and spin the camera around everywhere, but trying to catch the lasers. The outcome was so cool. I'll get some pics up.

I like the first one, cause it's got a good mood to it. =p The candid would have been better if he was smiling and was in focus, meh. I thought the frog-lizard was a snake. O_o

Anyways, this is the best photo that I've taken so far. The color version is much worse. =P
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Heh, photography of photographers. Never gets old. :lol:

Return to “Creativity Board”