Skylines

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

They probably pick the R34 because it looks the best (for most), and it's the newest one
Unfortunatey, I fear youre right. I love R34s, I really do, but Id prefer an R33 anyday, and if I was going for all out performance, Id pick an R32.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Crazy nfsu2 kid
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Crazy nfsu2 kid »

Ive never been a fan of the skylines. 2 reasons, 1 there expensive , and two they are huge gas guzzlers. See heres the thing that you dont want a fast car if you cant controle it. I mean i really think that your first should be something you love, and would like to mod. Really would want a car thats its to find parts to make fast or would you rather have a car that you can find any car with
James31278
Banned

Post by James31278 »

Crazy nfsu2 kid wrote:Ive never been a fan of the skylines. 2 reasons, 1 there expensive , and two they are huge gas guzzlers. See heres the thing that you dont want a fast car if you cant controle it. I mean i really think that your first should be something you love, and would like to mod. Really would want a car thats its to find parts to make fast or would you rather have a car that you can find any car with
The gas guzzle part is easy to fix, remove at least one of the turbos.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Thats right.

-option 1, remove one turbo, make it less powerful.

-option two, replace the sequentials with one larger turbo, and decrease mpg quite drastically.
James31278
Banned

Post by James31278 »

Option 3 less powerful isnt a bad thing, take off the restrictor. That is whats holding it at 280 instead of 330. The 300ZX twin turbo seems to work just fine. I bet it gets more MPG than they say it does.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Restrictor???

Right, Im not entirely sure what it is youre talking about, but your (lack of) car knowledge astounds me considering how stubborn you are.

Out of the box, there are two speed restrictors. The Japanese one at 112mph, and Nissans own at 150mph. This isnt unusual, all Japanese performance cars of that era come like this.

There are no bhp limitations, only clever marketing and deception. Whle Nissan claim the Skyline has 280bhp, it actually dynos at around 315bhp. The Nur dynos near 400bhp.

The only thing 'restricted' about Japanese engines is that the breathing is strangled, which is why they respond so well to modifications.
James31278
Banned

Post by James31278 »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:Restrictor???

Right, Im not entirely sure what it is youre talking about, but your (lack of) car knowledge astounds me considering how stubborn you are.

Out of the box, there are two speed restrictors. The Japanese one at 112mph, and Nissans own at 150mph. This isnt unusual, all Japanese performance cars of that era come like this.

There are no bhp limitations, only clever marketing and deception. Whle Nissan claim the Skyline has 280bhp, it actually dynos at around 315bhp. The Nur dynos near 400bhp.

The only thing 'restricted' about Japanese engines is that the breathing is strangled, which is why they respond so well to modifications.
Actually the Skyline's HP is 330+. But anyway.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Are you willing to put a bet down on that Jamesy boy?? :D

I just happen to have a 'few' contacts who will disprove that, namely the GTROC of the UK. ;)
James31278
Banned

Post by James31278 »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:Are you willing to put a bet down on that Jamesy boy?? :D

I just happen to have a 'few' contacts who will disprove that, namely the GTROC of the UK. ;)
No thanks I don't bet with LITTLE car clubs. Specs from the UK don't count.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Amusing really, especially considering youre from the US.

So judging by your statement, there must be a HUGE Skyline owners club in the US, right? right??

No, in fact, there are probably less than 100 hundred Skylines across the entire US. You just got owned by your own attempt to belittle this great nation.

Oh, and off topic here.

Number of conflicts America has 'won' on its own: 0

Remember the one where we didnt help you? It started in 64 with the French in a nice little corner of Asia. America isnt as mighty as propoganda has led you to believe. ;)
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

The main reason (my theory) UK has more Skylines than the US is that UK is driving on the wrong side, just like Japan. Same with Australia.

And I heard that the Skyline GT-R engines actually holds 500 hp, so it's actually almost twice the size it's delivered with officially. 280 would be enough for me tho.

Another thing, about choosing Skyline generation. I usually say I'd prefer an R34 (because the tech should be better in a newer model), but with an R33 front. Either that or an R33 with an R34 rear.
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:Oh, and off topic here.

Wrong, I think we managed the Civil War pretty well by ourselves (...).

But no, there aren't skylines in the US because Nissan never bothered getting the engine EPA approved. If you don't get one liscenced right it's crushed with all the vengeance enviromentalists can muster. Also there's issues with the car never having been crash tested with the NHTSA, you need to prove the car could survive a crash properly (Motorex used to be able to do this but they got pwnt).
James31278
Banned

Post by James31278 »

Drewb99 wrote:
Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:Oh, and off topic here.

Wrong, I think we managed the Civil War pretty well by ourselves (...).

But no, there aren't skylines in the US because Nissan never bothered getting the engine EPA approved. If you don't get one liscenced right it's crushed with all the vengeance enviromentalists can muster. Also there's issues with the car never having been crash tested with the NHTSA, you need to prove the car could survive a crash properly (Motorex used to be able to do this but they got pwnt).
We beat the british in the revolutionary war. :lol: And it was mostly the USA that won in World War II, if not for us england and france would be speaking german. We won the cold war too. Number of conflicts America has had to enter to keep freedom alive, too many to count.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Last time the I looked at this topic it was about skylines... NOT about who won wich war!

so get back to topic ASAP!
James31278
Banned

Post by James31278 »

TheStig wrote:Last time the I looked at this topic it was about skylines... NOT about who won wich war!

so get back to topic ASAP!

*Points at someone else*
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Deary deary me, where to start.
Well explained.

Next.
Last time the I looked at this topic it was about skylines... NOT about who won wich war!
My aplogies, but:

Wrong, I think we managed the Civil War pretty well by ourselves
Quite right, except it was pretty much UK Vs France + Peasants. So you didnt do that well, France did.
We beat the british in the revolutionary war. And it was mostly the USA that won in World War II, if not for us england and france would be speaking german. We won the cold war too. Number of conflicts America has had to enter to keep freedom alive, too many to count
I could school you six times over aboutpretty much every single conflict America has been in, the reasons they entered, whether they made a difference. If you make a thread in off topic, Id be happy to prove it, otherwise just be happy that youre wrong in so many, unbelievable ways.
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:
Wrong, I think we managed the Civil War pretty well by ourselves
Quite right, except it was pretty much UK Vs France + Peasants. So you didnt do that well, France did.
Wait, first off that's a civil war between two countries (?). Secondly that's not the Civil War I meant (we had our own we're quite proud of).
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

maybe I wasn't clear before...

so now I tell you it this way:

GET BACK ON TOPIC!!
James31278
Banned

Post by James31278 »

TheStig wrote:maybe I wasn't clear before...

so now I tell you it this way:

GET BACK ON TOPIC!!
EXACTLY. :D
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

James31278
Banned

Post by James31278 »

I read paul walker actually owns the undamaged hero car. So I'm a little suspicious of that auction. Also the red light on the right side if the license plate is missing.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

if you read the discription.. you would notice that it is NOT road legal!

so it doesn't need a plate...

I doubt a car like that for such a price is not real
James31278
Banned

Post by James31278 »

TheStig wrote:if you read the discription.. you would notice that it is NOT road legal!

so it doesn't need a plate...

I doubt a car like that for such a price is not real

Yeah not legal and missing a light. Yes and probably a fake car auction as well.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

The car is an actual hero car, in the advert it states that it was the #2 car, which replaced the #1 car when it was replaced. There were quite a few of those Skylines reproduced for filming.

As for not legal, thats simply a disclaimer to state that they havent been through Motorex, and if you wanted to drive it on US roads, youd have to do it yourself.
Hecubus
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Hecubus »

Drewb99 wrote:But no, there aren't skylines in the US because Nissan never bothered getting the engine EPA approved. If you don't get one liscenced right it's crushed with all the vengeance enviromentalists can muster. Also there's issues with the car never having been crash tested with the NHTSA, you need to prove the car could survive a crash properly (Motorex used to be able to do this but they got pwnt).
Just an addition to this, according to a 1995 article from Car and Driver:
Look at the Skyline's center console and interior floor, though, and you'll notice significant asymmetry right-to-left. This, combined with the engine-bay layout in which the six-cylinder is canted to the passenger side, reveals an obvious, depressing fact: it would take a cross-wired Star Trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S.

Return to “The Cars”