I need some opinions on this Mercedes.

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

SomeKindOfMonster wrote:Or how much they suck up mummy and daddy's bumbum? I'm a 3rd year apprentice mechanic at the moment, and currently the second highest payed apprentice in my state, and I'm on 7.50 an hour (Aus dollar, perhaps someone could convert to US to give you and idea) I've been driving a 1990 Commodore for 3 years, and i've only just racked up enough savings for a deposit on a minitruck. Doesnt matter how hard you work as a 15 year old, you can not afford a Merc or even any brand new car up front, on your own
That is dang near US minimum wage there, buddy. About $5.66. Like I said, most kids (richarses) are making well over the $7 dollar mark here.. I live in a very rural, growing area on the outside od Downtown atlanta.. Business is booming to say the least.. Great job opporutunities here in GA.
korge
PhYsIcS
Ricer
Ricer

Post by PhYsIcS »

That is dang near US minimum wage there, buddy. About $5.66. Like I said, most kids (richarses) are making well over the $7 dollar mark here.. I live in a very rural, growing area on the outside od Downtown atlanta.. Business is booming to say the least.. Great job opporutunities here in GA.
Haha $7 a hour is rich...I remember being shocked when people made that myself. But really you make 6 or 7 bucks so what, it still is crap money and you still can't afford a 350Z. Back in the day when I made that little money I wanted to buy a used Trans Am, but I still found even that was breaking my arms and legs to try and pay for the thing so I didn't go for it. Now I make $22 an hour and I certainly could afford either of those cars, but for now I'm messing around a supercharged/cam setup in my Chevy S-10.
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

Man, the cost of living in the US must be considerably less than in Blair and Brown's Britain - if I was earning the equivalent of £4 an hour before tax, I couldn't even afford to run an ancient Austin Metro - 1 hour's work would not even buy one gallon of petrol, let alone insurance, tax and stuff.

Good luck!
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

1: Get over it!!! starting in a SL65??
2: if the answer to the question above is yes, think again and buy a porsche, ferrari, maserati, or stuff like that
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SomeKindOfMonster »

Minimum wage in the US? Is that for apprentices or just a basic job? Because I am doing an apprenticeship in automotive, I get all parts for my cars at cost price, free use of the workshop whenever I want, and just built an engine identical to a mates, my mate payed someone to do his and it cost 8500, and i did mine myself for just over 1200. So even though the pay isn't quite as high, I do get a lot of benefits, as do most apprentices I would think
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

hey im in a appreticeship also in the US and i just started and im making about 26 K a year and its great
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Minimum wage is over $5 for normal work, but if you are working minimum wage, YOU NEED TO QUIT YOUR JOB AND GET A NEW ONE.

My $.02
korge
RSZETEC
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RSZETEC »

IMO even if I could afford that mercedes I wouldnt bother, its too obvious get something that looks slow as hell and make it fast. And come on really an AMG as a first car :lol: im 19 and im struggling to insure a 1600cc fiesta
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Even if you are making 7 USD a hour that is 10.000 hours of work to pay for the car (if it is 70.000 wich it isn't cause a SL65 is well over 100k. (even second hand)
any clue how many days 10.000 hours is??
thats 1250 days wich translates into 3.4 years. (that is 8 hours a day and 7 days a week!!!)

So yeah in theory you can by a SL65 when you are 18 if!! if where 70.000 and if don't spend even 1 penny on ANYTHING ELSE!
So you can't even buy a pack of chewing gum! in the 3.4 years your saving for the car.

Simple MATHS mate. aka homework

And when you come to the dealership where they sell cars like that, the sales advisor would simply laugh in your face.

when I was like 15 I thought/dreamed I could get a Ferarri 355 Spider when I was older (18-20) but I soon found out the chance of that was pretty slim and guess what... I don't have a Ferarri...
ahmad0410
Professional
Professional

Post by ahmad0410 »

Conclusion - Dont even think of buying the SL65. =]
blah2
Drift King
Drift King

Post by blah2 »

Conclusion - I know.

2nd conclusion - I freaking told i am gonna buy a 350Z and that's it. I really want to learn to drive rwd cars well.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

I'm surprised you're still set for a relatively powerful RWD. Not afraid of crashing?
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

PSZeTa wrote:
ahmad0410 wrote:Yea. You dont only pay for the car, theres lots more to consider. Road tax, insurance, fines, repair, maintanence and hidden costs.
Now stomp some common sense into your mind. Never buy a new expensive car as your first.
How about just 'don't buy a new car'? ;)

BTW, minimum wage in CA is $6.75 per hour, last I checked, and is supposed to be raised to something like $7.25.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

blah2 wrote:Conclusion - I know.

2nd conclusion - I freaking told i am gonna buy a 350Z and that's it. I really want to learn to drive rwd cars well.
Never the best idea. When you pass, you drive like an invincible nutter until you firetruck something up. My firetruck was a 65mph slide into a field in a friends car (incidently RWD, a BMW) when testing it out on an airfield. I didn't cause any damage but it's taught me to be more careful and learn to control cars better.
RWD cars are a recipe for disaster if you don't learn how to drive them very well, very safely and very controlably. That's something that comes from being on the road and developing an awareness of things around you.

As people say, you don't learn how to drive when you're with an instructor, you learn how to drive after you pass your test.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
blah2
Drift King
Drift King

Post by blah2 »

Anyway rwd cars are for me. I am going this summer in Bucharest. So my cousin will learn me drive a bmw old rwd model (can't remember which). So i will get a better idea of it :)
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

PSZeTa wrote:I'm surprised you're still set for a relatively powerful RWD. Not afraid of crashing?
No. He just wants to drift after watching some hollywood racing flick they call, The Fast and Furious.

I am startign to smell BS in this thread. Its just a kid sking about his future plans 2 years down the road...
korge
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Funny how some think that driving is that darn easy. True, the basics of driving are easy, but you won't be a good driver until you've made a good amount of miles.

Now some 15 year old kid plans to get a 350Z, and he doesn't even know how to drive. :?
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Like Steelsnake said, alot of young/new drivers think they are a driving god, and you don't learn to drive with a instructor or with your dad/ other family etc, you learn it on the road and it takes time, ALOT of time.
I now have almost 7 years my drivers lisence and I consider myself a above average driver (can't say I am a good/expert driver cause I simply am not.) I had my basic lessons to get my lisence and above that I have my driving instructor lisence (2 year study) and several 1 day trainings like a skidtraining and a track training (lots of fun btw :D)

But still half a year ago I almost crashed when I was going into a corner in my Girlfriends Suzuki Baleno (previous car), the weather was horrible and the car suddenly spun out.
I did manage to get it out of the slide without it hitting the barrier but it still scared the hell out of me. and that was even in a low powered FWD car driving under the speed limit.

Driving a car is not a game, and it is alot harder than it looks!!
blah2
Drift King
Drift King

Post by blah2 »

I know it's hard and I do really know I wont drift or drive as good as a racedriver. You can't really crash if you are very careful.
T-Shine
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by T-Shine »

lol
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Yup, because when you're driving carefully, your car becomes semipermiable and other cars can just go right through you instead of crashing into you. :)
SP4RCO
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by SP4RCO »

blah2 is now listening to Ian van Dahl - Castles in the sky.mp3 :lol:

Now this is my suggestion:

Citroen ZX 1.4l, 75bhp. A good toy with which play and try and experiment as much as you want. Scratch it against a postlamp? Crash it? who cares! :)

Dude I also wish I had a 350z but Im just too young for it. I am 22 by the way.
Still rolling my eyes :roll:
blah2
Drift King
Drift King

Post by blah2 »

Okay what the firetruck. I want to learn to drive rwd cars first, it's my buissiness. I want it harder , it's my buissiness. I haven't asked for criticism. I asked for opinion so GTFO SP4RCO! No ofence but you really touched my anger in the first sentence even if it was a joke. I won't make any threads about this stuff. And i don't care about your opinnions anymore. I thought you were mature. (and yes I am talking at plural).

And I wasn't meaning at all of you. If you can't feel yourself then I was talking about you.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

1 very firelollertrucking good reason to go for FWD first is that a FWD car is much easier to control and its quite predictable. Basics of car control are easily practiced in a fwd car.

Now go away please. You lack common sense.
blah2
Drift King
Drift King

Post by blah2 »

I don't care. I said opinions not criticism. If you don't want me to get a rwd then you go away please. It will still be as i wish. I just asked for opinions what car to get.

Return to “The Cars”