16 yr old Drift Poser?

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Countach
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Countach »

I got my practice drifting in a torque happy 2 and a half ton Chevy. Huge parking lots after rainstorms are a great place to practice. By the way, a bit of weight in the back sometimes makes it easier to sling out that backend.

Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

hey, is that your signature? i may be wrong, but that looks like R34GTR's signature.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Youd be surprised how much easier it is to kick the back end out when theres no weight over the rear wheels. ;)
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
PanZero
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by PanZero »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:Youd be surprised how much easier it is to kick the back end out when theres no weight over the rear wheels. ;)
Yeah. I've never even tried to drift (my car is a FWD, to boot), but basic physics say that more weight = more atrict (not sure how it's called in English, I'm not a native speaker), which means that it's harder to slide.
Ajex
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Ajex »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:This thread is fantastic.
He's got an old RX7 (the older one, not the later one) with gutted interior "becuase it lightens it", small 15" allows, spray can flat black paint, and a BigAs G4 sticker on the rear window. Oh yea, and ofcourse he has got a cat exhuast.
That would be an FC RX7. The reason for stripping the interior is a very valid one, it does indeed lighten the car. By simply removing ancillaries (a/c, stereo etc), plus sound deadening, rear seats, spare wheel...you can safely and easily strip the car of nearly 300kg of weight. Thus improving acceleration, increasing stability and even improving fuel economy. Best of all, its free.

Again, there is a reason for the 15" alloys. I wont judge entirely due to the fact I dont know the width, offset etc. However, smaller wheels dont suffer from the rolling inertia that larger wheels do. In basic terms, get hold of a 26" bike wheel, spin it holding the axle, then try and turn it. Now do the same with a 20" wheel, and notice how much easier the change of direction is with the 20". This is a basic essential of drifting.

Having a Cat. isnt also necessarily a bad thing. Some cars (my brothers old 406 coupe for example) have more than one cat. The 406 had three, and removing two made the exhaust flow freer and easier. However, removing the third messed everything up. Not to mention, its illegal in most places to remove the cat due to emissions testing.

Finally, the matte black paintjob? This is a fad in the drifting world, its been popular on both the SXOC and Driftworks for a number of years now. It ties in with the whole idea of drifting being cheap and simple to fix.
sounds like a poser to me, shouldve gone with Borla, and 5Zigen rims
Best advice yet. Buy an exhaust system that is made for American engines (namely the top-end V8s/V10s from the Vettes and Vipers), and wheels which are hideously expensive, that it will make you cry when you inevitably damage them by drifting.
The guy is trying to start of in a 2nd Gen RX7?
If he had any inteligence, he would get some lessons.
The FC RX7 is a damned good drift car. Light, fast, fantastic weight distribution. Even better, all the torque is at the top end of the rev range, its high-revving nature is ideally suited to drifting. As for lessons...meh, the best way is practice.
It's amazing how much you know about cars. I applaud you and this magnificent reply.

Return to “The Cars”