My poor PC...

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: My poor PC...

Post by prince1142003 »

vellu wrote:
prince1142003 wrote:The motherboard only has one internal IDE connector. Each IDE controller can hold a maximum of two IDE devices. Which means that if you were planning on using more than two devices, you'll need to purchase an additional IDE controller.

CD/DVD drives, as well as hard drivers are all IDE devices.
It does have 4 S-ATA connectors (with RAID support no less), so up to 4 S-ATA harddrives/dvddrives + 2 P-ATA (IDE) harddrives/dvddrives. Should be plenty.
I was just wanting to point out that he'd only be able to use a maximum of 2 IDE devices with the new setup.

Incidentally, have you ever tried to hook up a hard drive and a dvd/cd drive on the same PATA cable? They can be very temperamental, not to mention it's a pain in the ass trying to figure out how to position the hard drive so it sits snugly.
Kimba
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Kimba »

My Seagate disk is connected on IDE. My DVD R/RW is also IDE. That Gigabyte motherboard (M61PM-S2 if you remember) seems to have one IDE connector. So I don't need new HD. What should I put to master and slave between HDD and DVD RW?
Anyway, what do you think about other things that I'm planning to buy (CPU, GPU, memory) ??
Last edited by Kimba on 26 Dec 2007, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

prince1142003 wrote:Incidentally, have you ever tried to hook up a hard drive and a dvd/cd drive on the same PATA cable? They can be very temperamental, not to mention it's a pain in the bumbum trying to figure out how to position the hard drive so it sits snugly.
I've always had it like that (that is, 4 different systems over the past 15 years or so.) and haven't had any problems of any kind regarding master/slave IDE devices. Whether they are both hdd or hdd and cd/dvd. As far as cable reaching a hdd and a dvd-drive depends a lot on your case, and the quality/length of the pata cable you are using. Also the motherboard layout might make a difference since the placement of the ide connector can be quite different between different brands. True enough, I have to use a longer than usual pata cable to reach both the hdd and the dvd-drive.

Also I never rely on the cable/motherboard to detect which device is master and which slave. I always set the jumpers accordingly.

Currenly I'm housing 2 S-ATA harddrives (RAID1, OS only) 3 IDE HDD's (2x160GB, 1x200GB) and a IDE DVDRW drive which shares its cable with the 200GB drive.

EDIT: A snip from Sandra system overview section

Physical Storage Devices
ST3160021A (ATA) : 149GB (D:)
Maxtor 6L160P0 (ATA) : 153GB (E:)
SAMSUNG SP2014N (ATA) : 186GB (F:)
NVIDIA STRIPE 68.95G (SCSI) : 69GB (C:)
LaCie BigDisk (USB) : 559GB (I:)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H12L (ATAPI) : N/A (G:)

Logical Storage Devices
SOFTWARE (D:) : 149GB (55GB, 37% Free Space) (NTFS) @ ST3160021A (ATA)
DATA160 (E:) : 153GB (33GB, 22% Free Space) (NTFS) @ Maxtor 6L160P0 (ATA)
DATA200 (F:) : 186GB (57GB, 31% Free Space) (NTFS) @ SAMSUNG SP2014N (ATA)
SYSTEM (C:) : 69GB (46GB, 67% Free Space) (NTFS) @ NVIDIA STRIPE 68.95G (SCSI)
CD-ROM/DVD (G:) : N/A @ HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H12L (ATAPI)
3.5" 1.44MB (A:) : N/A
LaCieHD (I:) : 559GB (58GB, 10% Free Space) (NTFS) @ LaCie BigDisk (USB)
Kimba
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Kimba »

What do you suggest to buy? SATA HDD or SATA DVD drive?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Kimba wrote:What do you suggest to buy? SATA HDD or SATA DVD drive?
SATA HDD.

For a DVD-drive it really doesn't make all that much difference since the data transfer speeds of a dvd aren't that fast they would really require the extra bandwith of SATA (as opposed to P-ATA). Slimmer cable though, so better airflow through the case for extra cooling.

This will change though when HDDVD or BluRay drives start to get a foothold. Those will push much more data.
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Post by snoopdogg879 »

yeah what he said ^ ^
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Kimba
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Kimba »

I got my PC back from the service one week ago. Temperatures are ok (CPU 30-39 degrees Celsius), but since I defragmented my disk with Diskeeper 2008 Pro, performance reduced for an about 30% - 50%. I can see in Diskeeper that some system files are rated "low performance". Also Windows startup is twice longer than before! What can I do to return to normal?

P.S. I don't have many games or programs.
Kimba
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Kimba »

Good news, I got it done. I just changed my PSU. It works now perfect :D :D

Return to “The Hardware & Software”