I need a new garphics card

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: I need a new garphics card

Post by Stereo »

Well read posts, because some people dont know the difference between AGP and PCI-E and will buy the wrong card and waste their money.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Depending on your budget, you could get a 8600GT 512mb, motherboard, 2 gig RAM, e6650 Core2Duo and use your current HDD (if it's decent sized, but 320gig can be had very cheaply, so it's not a bad idea to run 2, putting your page file on a separate one), DVD drive and case (although make sure the PSU can hold up to the job). You graphics card is outdated. If that's a bit pricey (should be $500-700 AUD if you shop around), good AGP cards can still be had: namely ATI's x1950 and 7600GT. Your processor will struggle, and you will have to do what you can to make the PC run as smooth as possible. I have a 3.2ghz P4, 7600GT and 1.25gig of RAM, and am getting average performance from it, in fact, Crysis runs considerably better, so the extra grunt of the ATI is not a bad idea, but it is fairly pricey and old technology. The 7600GT is no lightweight, but PS may be more compatible with ATI cards as I am having tempermental performance.

I run an AGP 7600GT-
Crysis- med physics, med textures, 1024x768, high sound quality, something else medium - 40 FPS.
FEAR- Max CPU, High GFX - 45FPS.
Oblivion- Med-high settings - 45FPS.
Trackmania Nations Max settings, minus AA, AF4x, low shadows. 40FPS.
Stalker Medium Settings - 40FPS
Counterstrike Source Highish settings - 70 FPS
World in Conflict Medium Settings - 35FPS
Fable Max but med shadows - 40FPS
NFS Prostreet Smoke, High Car Detail, High Damage, High environment, 1024x768. - 20-35FPS depending on the weather, the way the wind's blowing, whether the cat had a good day, depending on whether dad's had enough coffee. The settings are always being changed. There was actually a time where t was playable at a res of 1280x1024. Waiting on more patches and driver updates. Not sure what it's like on an equivalent ATI card.

edit:
AGP 8x is the old graphics card port. The latest is PCI-express, and PCI-E2 is coming out soon. It just provides better performance. However, you need an AGP or PCI compatible card depending on your motherboard. The 9250 hints to me that it's AGP. Mind you, if you are just upgrading your card, you are throwing money away; I upgraded a year ago and was able to experience high end games as they should be now, but you will be buying something that will only just last for a while. However, a friend has an X1950 and runs Crysis on high settings.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

The X1950 is the best choice for an AGP card. But I would still suggest a new mobo so you can get something like an 8800 or the new 9-series cards later on.
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by reputated »

Radeonâ„¢ X1950 Graphics Technology - GPU Specifications
Features
-384 million transistors on 90nm fabrication process
-Up to 48 pixel shader processors
-8 vertex shader processors
-Up to 256-bit 8-channel GDDR4 memory interface
-Native PCI Express x16 bus interface

the above is a direct take from the ati site and it looks like its a pciE card. chek out the spec's and the last point. wassup?
Some pursue happpiness; others create it
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Post by snoopdogg879 »

reputated wrote:Radeonâ„¢ X1950 Graphics Technology - GPU Specifications
Features

the above is a direct take from the ati site and it looks like its a pciE card. chek out the spec's and the last point. wassup?

It's just saying that it uses the samething as some PCI E cards do
GDDR4 memory that's the best you can get now
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

reputated wrote:Radeonâ„¢ X1950 Graphics Technology - GPU Specifications
Features

They never say the AGP specs. The card you want is X1950Pro 512 or 256 DDR3.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

BrontoX wrote:They never say the AGP specs. The card you want is X1950Pro 512 or 256 DDR3.
Such as this:
Attachments
CCC hardware information
CCC hardware information
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by reputated »

so i am finally ready to really upgrade my pc.
i am now in a position to upgrade my pc to the following (as suggested by the computer shop owner i reached)-
processor- an intel core 2 duo 2.2ghz
ram- ddr2 1 gb ram running at 667 mgz
hdd-160 gb
grfx card-[PCIe] xfx ati radeon 7200, 256 mb decicated memory with dx-10 support
motherboard- an intel board which will be supporting all this

Now is this a good setup?
what about the grfx card and processor?will this run prostreet good and the best settings?
also does the grfx card support the min system reqs. of pstreet? if not which pcie card should i go for is this a good one?plz reply quickly as i have to send the pc for the work to be done
thnx
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

No XD you'd be getting gipped if you got that lol, you'd be better off with the X1950 and 2GB DDR2 @ 800MHz and the 7200 doesn't support DX10 =P only ATi cards that do that are the HD-Series.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

reputated wrote:so i am finally ready to really upgrade my pc.
i am now in a position to upgrade my pc to the following (as suggested by the computer shop owner i reached)-
processor- an intel core 2 duo 2.2ghz
ram- ddr2 1 gb ram running at 667 mgz
hdd-160 gb
grfx card-[PCIe] xfx ati radeon 7200, 256 mb decicated memory with dx-10 support
motherboard- an intel board which will be supporting all this

Now is this a good setup?
what about the grfx card and processor?will this run prostreet good and the best settings?
also does the grfx card support the min system reqs. of pstreet? if not which pcie card should i go for is this a good one?plz reply quickly as i have to send the pc for the work to be done
thnx
Processor: It's pretty good nothing to say there except if you have left over money from the other components buy yourself a core 2 Duo E6550 or E8200.

RAM: NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT. Get 2x1024gb (=2gb) dual channel kit at 800MHz and 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15 latency.

HDD: Works, nothing to say here at all.

GFX card: NO WAY!!! XFX GeForce 7200 sucks it's worse than a ati radeon 9550 and it doesn't have DX10 heck it doesn't do well even in DX9 maybe only DX8.1.
For under 100$ (but not very good for games) you can get:
-GeForce 7600GT (no DX10)
-GeForce 8600GT (DX 10 but barely works on DX10)
For 100$ (again not very good at DX10) you can get:
-GeForce 8600GTS (DX10 but doesn't run it good)
-Radeon X1900 (no DX10)
-Radeon HD3650
For 120-220$ (here you can play at max resolution on the 512mb cards on the 256mb cards a bit less) you can get:
-Radeon HD3850 512MB or 256MB
-Radeon HD3870 512MB
-GeForce 9600GT (best price/performance and highly overclockable, believe me i have one)
-Geforce 8800GT 512MB or 256MB

Motherboard:
Gigabyte or ASUS or Abit with a P35 chipset.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Man, what is it with you and the P35 chipset?

Also, if you were to wait maybe a month or so longer, you'll probably see the prices of the 8-series GeForce's go down further. To be honest, I don't really know if they've already dropped or not... since I got my upgrades, I haven't been keeping track. :lol:
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by reputated »

ok guys thnx for all the help.
i am a little short on money and actually this is the final upgrade on this computer after which i will buy a new one. i believe the following components that i am getting after taking into account every single possibility of an upgrade will do good especially on prostreet and on the future nfs games taking a span of 5 years of no upgrades--

processor- the core 2 duo 2.2
ram- still a 1gb 667 mgh( i am not able to upgrade to 2 gb as i stated above- money)
Gfx card- a geforce 8400 (after chechking tis on the nvidia site i think its a pretty good deal considering the money i.e. around 40$ odd and the features you get i.e. shader model 4 and the dx10 support althoght not very comfortable with it)what do u think, will it justify prostreet and the future games?
HDD-still a 160 gb
soundcard- the integrated one that will come in the new motherboard
motherboard- i actually dont know the exact model but the vendor says that it does support all the above things

my verdict- its gonna be a good system no doubt. also an upgrade form an agp thing to a pcie and p4 1.9 to c2 duo 2.2 is a big deal for me.do you think the grfx card is enough to get pros going on the highest settings with a res of about 840x480(whaterever that is)? aa is not my concern but looking at the specs i do think its good.also can anybody give me a feedback on this thing?

now the thing is that i wont be able to upgrade anything more than this as money is also a concern for me so i apologise to those who thought i would do so.what do you think about the 8400. and what about the future?
comments are as always welcome.

My sincere thanks to all those how have helped mee to upgrade my pc.
reputated.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I really think an 8600 is the minimum for the future... maybe even a 9600 if they are close in price.

You do have PCI E, so you can upgrade later... but an 8400 will not max PS, even on a low res... well it will, but it'll slow the whole game to a crawl. A 7600GT is > 8400, and it only does med, and I cant see it lasting too much longer. If this is more of a temporary thing... this and the ram will have to upgraded in a year or so.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Carcrazy wrote:Man, what is it with you and the P35 chipset?
P35 is the best chipset for the price.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

That's a matter of opinion. I'm perfectly happy with my X975 chipset, (although it wasn't exactly a 'budget' motherboard...)

Return to “The Hardware & Software”