Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

Bobyx, I've had the total opposite to you..... Windows 98, 98se, 2000 and Me worked fine but have had to format twice since installing windows xp 5 months ago. I guess if it screws again I'll go back to Me. At least there I had no dramas with my modem.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

It looks like you didn't notice, but Win 95 was ok (a copy of os/2 but ok).
Then it came Win 98 a little more shiznit, but more compatible with Internet so let's say better.
The the firetruck shiznit bumbumhead of ME, a damn buggy piece of crap, that works backwards.
Then XP. Whats new? Icons the size of my head and a I'm-a-stupid-jerk-I've-never-used-a-computer-now-I-can-thanks-to-Bill-firetruck-Gates system. Oh! Right! We got rid of MS-DOS. We had a shiznit 3.IdontKnowHowMuch ver. in 98, while IBM-DOS was 4.01 in 1989. So you cant play abandonware old good games any more.

Win 2000 is OK, but is for working not for playing.

Sorry about the hard words, but its like that.
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

It's a lot more stable than any other Windows version.
I hate those big icons too, so..guess what...I use the classic windows theme!!! And the old dos games I tried worked under XP. If you can't get them to work, load DOS.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Look what you have made. Now I want to try it.
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

Give it a go Koffy, maybe you'll find it better than what I did. As SuperRacer said you can change the icons to the classic view that you are use to with all previous versions of windows. Unfortunately, it is unstable and full of bugs.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

What big icons?
If you ask me the new XP look is the best thing that happend to windows in a graphical sense :) :) :)

If you mean the start menu, you can still use the old start menu type.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

That's what I meant. The Bugs. Each time a windows ver is released it has more bugs and errors than the older one. Programms are suposed to get better each time, not the other way round.

And about the icons I meant the ones in the folders, that are so big, that 2 collumns fill the whole screen.
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

Koffy, they'reactually done as tiles but you can change them too back to standard.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

I've been at a friend house who has installed WXP, and he keeps saying that it sucks. Once and over again.
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

Maybe it just ain't the one for you. If your happy with the sytem you are now running then hey, why change? It's what your comfortable with and prefer to use..
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Yes I do, but companies make software for the lastest versions.

If I could, I would be using OS/2.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

And I'll keep saying this: win98 is better than win95 and winme, but worse then 2000 which is worse than xp --> xp is the best in my experience.

It's the only system so far I was able to run for 7 days non-stop without having any problems. With 98 and winme I had to restart it after a few hours of work as the icons were disappearing and memory erorrs were popping.
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

Koffy wrote:I've been at a friend house who has installed WXP, and he keeps saying that it sucks. Once and over again.
Does your friend have a reason? He might be saying it sucks because he doesn't like MS ;) And did you actually use XP?
viper_gts
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper_gts »

i tried xp and i didn't like it, so i went back to win98se. I can run it all day and have no probs with it at all :)
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

For me, win98 always ran fine at first, but after a few weeks...let me count how many times I wanted to throw my computer out of the window.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Xp quality:
-You need to get out of Counter-Strike/HalfLife etc. every time you change map or server.
-GTA 2 does not launch.
-You need patches for programs thinked for XP itself.
-Many Nvidia products have conflicts with it.

Return to “General Discussion”