$200K exotic car or $200K modified car?

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: $200K exotic car or $200K modified car?

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Lets not forget that 200k on an exotic doesnt get you all that far.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Striker94 wrote:ummm, whre do you get this cash from?
Uranus.

Kidding... It's just speculation or opinion really, I'm sure that the majority of people on here wouldn't have 200k unless they suddenly won the lottery.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

ok, whatever

And, as i've said, I like exotics.

I like them because

a) they're fast
b) they're meant to go fast
c) they go fast while making you comfortable
d) they're 99% of the time quite luxurious
e) they have brand image
f) they give snobs an air of importance
g) they look HOT
h) I like them
oh snap
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

a) So are modified cars with $200k invested in them.
b) So are modified cars with $200k invested in them.
c) Also possible with a modified car.
d) Modified cars can be quite luxurious.
e) Not always the case with a modified car, but not a very good reason to like something in my opinion.
f) That's a good thing?
g) With $200k, you can make any car look "hot".
h) You like them because you like them... GENIUS.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

You have to admit it's hard to give a modified car a super car feel... not only in performance, but in every other aspect.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

OMG, it was meant to be a non-serious post!

the REAL reasons i like them are ; they look cool (yes, so do tuners, but I like the look of exotics), they go fast(yes, as do tuners), they are something that people have spent millions-billions of $ developing, and are DESIGNED to go fast, not packing a boat-load of power onto a 200kw engine.
You have to admit it's hard to give a modified car a super car feel... not only in performance, but in every other aspect.
Take this quote, from baumaxx for example. 100% correct. You CAN get a fast, comfortable car that you upgraded yourself for $200,000, but you don't get that feel of comfidence and smoothness that comes standard with any modern supercar

and yes, they have a lot of points in common.

So what's so wrong about picking a side? I didn't say that tuners r crap, I didn't say that exotics are immensly superiour, all I said is that I like them.
oh snap
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Nothing is wrong with picking a side, I was just making the point that most/all of those things you listed can also be achieved in a highly modified car.

In fact, I'd probably buy an exotic myself. Or maybe something in between... Evo IX comes to mind. + $170K in goodies... =P~ Or a FQ400. =P~ =P~ =P~ Maybe a Porsche GT3 RS... I'd have to think long and hard about it.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Replica Lamborghini Kit Car ftw ($40,000) :P
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Considering how hard it is to find one in Aus, Replica Shelby Cobra 427 or Replica Ford GT.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

Nismo 380RS or Nissan Skyline Nismo Z-Tune =P~
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

hmmm, one ultimate one?

Nah, 2 choices for me-NSX with mods, or Nissan GTR (R35)
oh snap
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Considering all the absolutely stupid but quite possibly true rumours about it, I wouldn't be getting the R35 if I were you.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

what? the stuff about not being able to mod it? who said I wanted to, anyway? I'd keep it nice and stock, and keep the rest of the cash.

There's been this discussion before, and we agreed that it's not that hard to replace/re-tune the ecu. Also, i heard from baumaxx that there's a new NSX?
oh snap
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:Considering all the absolutely stupid but quite possibly true rumours about it, I wouldn't be getting the R35 if I were you.
You can change the rims...it's been done... no reason why you can't. There's a HKS example that has some engine mods... what rumours? I'm sure nissan aren't so stupid to make a tuner favourite unnmoddable. In fact... the Super GT example is modified and has other rims.
Also, i heard from baumaxx that there's a new NSX?
There have been rumours in my fav car magazine, as well as photos of a S2000 shaped test mule. It isn't an S2000, it's mid engined (cabin looks weird), different wheelbase, quad exhausts... it's all chopped up. All the rumours point to a NSX replacement.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

If there's proof of someone removing the GPS-activated speed limiter, you win.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

The speed limiter is a JDM only thing. i have heard you cant change the rims but the engine can be modified. the Super GT car is allowed to be that wy cause nissan owns some of them. the new nsx will be a front engine V10 Vtec with 500hp it is supposed to be out in 2009 or 2010
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

viper16 wrote:The speed limiter is a JDM only thing. i have heard you cant change the rims but the engine can be modified. the Super GT car is allowed to be that wy cause nissan owns some of them. the new nsx will be a front engine V10 Vtec with 500hp it is supposed to be out in 2009 or 2010
If it's as boring as every other "Japanese supercar" has been, then I doubt it will do well outside of Japan or the US "We love everything JDM cos it's cool, innit" markets.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I actually know a guy who owns at GTR. Unfortunately, he lives in a town in the Philippines whose roads aren't really what you'd call well-maintained. It's a shame, really - having such a car with nowhere to drive it.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

i have heard you cant change the rims
It's already been done... look at some tokyo autosalon pics... they're even making a drift car out of one... so even the AWD system can be disabled. About the speed limiter... it's stupid, it's been mentioned in no car magazine, and I doubt it would be included on international models. If there is some sort of speed limiter, I'm sure it'd be a wrx style thing that limits it to 250 and you can easily remove it with a slight ECU mod.
the new nsx will be a front engine V10 Vtec with 500hp it is supposed to be out in 2009 or 2010
Front engine? I heard it was a mid engine AWD and the pictures seemed to indicate that. Are you sure you're not confusing the lexus supercar? It looks like the engine will sit towards the center in that anyway.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

baumaxx1 wrote:
i have heard you cant change the rims
It's already been done... look at some tokyo autosalon pics... they're even making a drift car out of one... so even the AWD system can be disabled. About the speed limiter... it's stupid, it's been mentioned in no car magazine, and I doubt it would be included on international models. If there is some sort of speed limiter, I'm sure it'd be a wrx style thing that limits it to 250 and you can easily remove it with a slight ECU mod.
the new nsx will be a front engine V10 Vtec with 500hp it is supposed to be out in 2009 or 2010
Front engine? I heard it was a mid engine AWD and the pictures seemed to indicate that. Are you sure you're not confusing the lexus supercar? It looks like the engine will sit towards the center in that anyway.
Absolultely anything can be done to a car. It just takes £££££ to do it.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

or $$$$$$ :lol:

Oh, and about the GT-R, the limiter won't be included on the international models, so no problems with that.

And, why would you want to remove the awesome AWD system from the GTR? If it's for drift, why can't you just get a different car?

Also, about the NSX. Which one is it? Front of Mid Engine? I loved the old NSX, and I really like the R35, so any more info on the NSX?
oh snap
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Hey, I'm not complaining about the AWD system it's been on the Godzilla for the past 10 or so years. And since reading the latest Wheels Mag, I'm sold! According to them, it's officially better than the 911 Turbo, and no rumors to be found.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

mate, i was sold since they released computer images of it last year!

Do you think a japanese road car will ever come with a V8?
oh snap
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:...it's officially better than the 911 Turbo, and no rumors to be found.
That's really just a journalists oppinion. However, for all intents and purposes, from everything I've read it may be faster than a 911 turbo but it's far less involving and enjoyable to drive.

Whatsmore, just LOOK at it. I think the design bureau were on holiday over the deadline and they handed their drawings to someone's child to finalize.

"Right, it's a sleek, low and wide car, what do we do?"
"Put lots of stupid curves that don't follow the body lines everywhere!"
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

For what its worth, the GTR is not only faster than the 997 turbo, but also the GT3 RS, and also the GT2. :)

The 'RWD' GTR isnt a GTR at all, its a 350Z with a GTR shell. The speed limiter, as with all speed limiters, will be very easy to remove, and as said, is likely to be a JDM only restriction. Wheels can, of course, be changed. Engine modifications were rumoured to be difficult, but from what I hear, Top Secret already has some in the works.
That's really just a journalists oppinion. However, for all intents and purposes, from everything I've read it may be faster than a 911 turbo but it's far less involving and enjoyable to drive.
Not really sure where you've heard that mate, there was a journalist in the UK with a GT3 RS who has now put a deposit on the GTR after driving GTCs test mule. Lets face it, the 997 turbo and GT2 have both been heralded 'pussycats' to drive, and the GTR is no different. Its just faster and cheaper.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*

Return to “The Cars”